Coral Vue Hydros

RO/DI and Ammonia

Dunlager

I picked up a Spectrapure refurb 90 gallon RO/DI system. Once I got everything settled and running I ran a baseline test on the water for my water change and it had amonia hitting over.5. Is this normal? Is this because the filter is not breaking down the chloramine all the way? Can I just add water conditioner to the water before I mix the salt to get rid of the amonia?

Thanks for the help.

Bill

Never mind, I figured it out. The chloramines where not being broken down completely. I have picked up a separate chamber and another carbon block specifically for chloramine removal that I will put in place before my rodi system.

You cannot accurately test individual contaminants in ultrapure water without lab grade instruments. This is why a good ATC handheld TDS meter is your best friend. I would disregard any tests as they are probably bogus.

The 1 micron carbon block is more than sufficient at removing the chlorine portion of chloramines and breaking the bond with the ammonia which is removed by the RO membrane and the SilicaBuster DI resin. Carbon DOES NOT remove chloramines.

Archived