Innovative Marine Aquariums

Brown hair algae?

IBroughtPopcorn

A couple of things when using an iPhone. First, set your lights to a predominantly white setting. Then, when opening the app, have the camera already pointed towards your subject (this will improve the white balance).

You can ID dinos with a microscope. However, not having a microscope, I performed this test:

The dark brown crud is coming back (on the sand and rocks)... I took some of the siphoned gunk and filtered it through a paper towel. According to post #3 of this thread, if you filter dinos through a paper towel and stir it up, it will group back together (while cyano will not). Here was the result:080416a.jpg

Then I dosed some DinoX into this container, and re-stirred the the water. This time, it didn't come back together. I'm taking this to mean that it could be dinos. I'm reluctantly now dosing DinoX into my tank.

IBroughtPopcorn

In theses photos the brown hair is thicker and more of a tan color this time. It's also less concentrated on the sandbed. The other photo shows my two bumblebee snails. I think the white things are some sort of worm that is supposed to be a positive sign that my water is good. Is that right?

post-91942-0-72888800-1472443762_thumb.jpg

post-91942-0-18888600-1472443872_thumb.jpg

IBroughtPopcorn

That's great news. so I have heard and read conflicting thoughts on the CUC. My plan with the tank is to get as many different colors of coral that would be healthy and happy in my tank. My 4 year old and my wife want fish. My question is, what members of the clean up crew are going to be the best for our plans? Is there a fish that would help with the cleaning of the tank, or is that counterintuitive? I am going to the LFS in an hour so I have time to acclimate what ever we buy before I go to work.

There really isn't a fish, for this size of a tank, that will help with your algae problem. In addition to a few turbo snails, you might also try a small emerald crab. Trochus snails are also pretty good.

Archived