SaltCritters.com

PH is 7.5 to 7.7 need advice

raygo

How do you install a co2 scrubber?

I may try this out some day.

http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/an-easy-way-to-increase-your-tanks-ph-with-a-co2-scrubber.57609/

My pH was around 7.7-7.8 throughout the day before I started dosing Alk at night time (10mL, split into 4 doses between 9PM-9AM). Now the pH has stabilized between 7.8-7.9 throughout the day. This is in a closed home with a skimmer on 24/7.

Jeff

^ agree.

The last time I tested ph was 3 mnths ago.

Its the last thing I worry about. Far more important to keep sg, temp, mag, ca, and alk stable.

North Borders

Don't know if I can post links to retailers on here, so I'll refrain. The parts you need for a scrubber are the Bulk Reef Universal Air Filter. That includes a canister with 1/4" airline fittings. Also comes with the interior container to put the CO2 media in. You then fill the container with BRS Color Changing Medical Grade CO2 Absorbent. You don't have to run an airline outside, it uses your 'in room' air. You connect the out line to your skimmer air intake and leave the in line alone. It's basically set it and forget it. When your pH starts to dip again or the pellets are purple, it's time to change out the beads. I've been getting about 2.5-4 weeks out of my recharges. It takes less than 2 minutes to dump out the cartridge and refill it with beads. It's stupidly easy. The media runs about $50 per jug and you get 7 fills out of that. Depending on how much CO2 is in your air and how heavily your skimmer sucks in air you might get less or more out of a cartridge. I'm using a Reef Octopus SSS110 for reference. Bulk reef also sells different elbows with various other sizes of hose barbs for folks like me that have oddball air intake diameters on their skimmers (3/8ths ID I think for mine)

As far as what constitutes acceptable pH levels: SPS are the biggest concern with low pH. Research shows that at lower pH levels they have a much harder time forming their skeletons, and you'll probably run into slower growth rates than you would otherwise. When you start getting to 7.7 and below you can actually run the risk of your stony corals slowly dissolving. This is especially true if you're running into low pH levels in conjunction with low(er) alkalinity. (<2.5 meq/L) http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.htm (especially the part titled What is the Acceptable pH Range for Reef Aquaria?)

Don't know if I can post links to retailers on here, so I'll refrain.

You can, I do it all the time. I am not sure if nano-reef has any rules? (Besides no flaming in the beginners forum)

:huh: hmm. I think I would have surely broken some by now. :lol:

does your salt have a buffer?

I use instant ocean reef chrystals and do not add any buffer

How are your corals / fish doing?

Many run Chaeto in a reverse light cycle minimize night time pH drop (myself included, or 24/7 light), but my tank will be 6 yrs old in a few week and i've never tested my pH so I wondered...

Why does pH matter ?

Fish & corals doing well.

Cencalfishguy56

I use instant ocean reef chrystals and do not add any buffer

Fish & corals doing well.

instant ocean doesn't have pH buffers so your water will be low, wouldn't mess with it because pH goes along with dkh
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived