Coral Vue Hydros

Cree XTE Rebooted

welight

Hi Guys

Been a while since I frequented, thought since you are fans of Cree XTE worth pointing out the latest revs. The current white family is typically 2.85Vf, max 3.4Vf, many have pointed out that this is high relative to competing products, Cree are about to drop two new products a standard Cree XTE white, typically 2.85Vf, max 3.1Vf, and a high efficacy version, typically 2.77Vf, max 2.85Vf, this improves WPE eff dramatically at no price penalty. The optical properties have also improved so the led now optically will resemble the XPG-2/XPG-3. What does this mean in English. a Cree XTE HE part at 350 ma is 158 lumens@164LPW AT 2.85VF VS A LUXEON TX 149 Lumens@ 158LPW at 2.90vf

Nice jump in performance

Cheers

Mark

Neat.

Now how would this translate to a 700mA LPW comparison?

Cree 285 lumens at 141LPW VF is 2.97, Luxeon 272 lumens at 139LPW vf 2.99

I'm not all that bothered by overall efficiency if the light quality is questionable. This has always been where the XT-E has fallen short compared to every comparable Lumileds offering.

Hi Guys

Been a while since I frequented, thought since you are fans of Cree XTE worth pointing out the latest revs. The current white family is typically 2.85Vf, max 3.4Vf, many have pointed out that this is high relative to competing products, Cree are about to drop two new products a standard Cree XTE white, typically 2.85Vf, max 3.1Vf, and a high efficacy version, typically 2.77Vf, max 2.85Vf, this improves WPE eff dramatically at no price penalty. The optical properties have also improved so the led now optically will resemble the XPG-2/XPG-3. What does this mean in English. a Cree XTE HE part at 350 ma is 158 lumens@164LPW AT 2.85VF VS A LUXEON TX 149 Lumens@ 158LPW at 2.90vf

Nice jump in performance

Cheers

Mark

What's the CCT and CRI that you are using to compare against? I wouldn't be using high CCT, low CRI LEDs as a comparison, as no one is using them any more (or shouldn't be anyway).

Seeing as the datasheets for the XT-E have been updated to reflect these new offerings, the Luxeon-TX is still a better performer at the CCT and CRI levels that we typically use. A 4000K 85 CRI min TX at 350mA bests the comparable XT-E by 20% at 85C (L1T2-4085000000000 vs. XTEAWT-00-0000- 00000PCE5, if you are interested in comparing). Even the 80 CRI XT-E HE falls short (XTEAWT-E0-0000-00000HDE5).

Anyway, even if the XT-E beat the TX by a good amount, I'd still pick the TX due to the color quality being leaps and bounds better. Cree has always been the lumen leader, while Lumileds and Bridgelux have been the light quality leader (with the exception of some of Cree's CXA arrays, which are pretty good).

I'm not all that bothered by overall efficiency if the light quality is questionable. This has always been where the XT-E has fallen short compared to every comparable Lumileds offering.

What's the CCT and CRI that you are using to compare against? I wouldn't be using high CCT, low CRI LEDs as a comparison, as no one is using them any more (or shouldn't be anyway).

Seeing as the datasheets for the XT-E have been updated to reflect these new offerings, the Luxeon-TX is still a better performer at the CCT and CRI levels that we typically use. A 4000K 85 CRI min TX at 350mA bests the comparable XT-E by 20% at 85C (L1T2-4085000000000 vs. XTEAWT-00-0000- 00000PCE5, if you are interested in comparing). Even the 80 CRI XT-E HE falls short (XTEAWT-E0-0000-00000HDE5).

Anyway, even if the XT-E beat the TX by a good amount, I'd still pick the TX due to the color quality being leaps and bounds better. Cree has always been the lumen leader, while Lumileds and Bridgelux have been the light quality leader (with the exception of some of Cree's CXA arrays, which are pretty good).

XTEAWT-E0-0000-00000HDE5 is the lowest bin in min 80, XTEAWT-E0-0000-00000HGE5 is the correct best bin to compare, Cree min 80 bins under our spectral testing always exceeds 85 CRI. The rebooted part is not just about numbers, Cree has reshaped the internals to create more of a XPG2 beam and colour performance. If you really want premium performance then XPG-3 is really the place to be

You are right. The XTEAWT-E0-0000-00000HGE5 does edge out the TX. Not sure what I was thinking when I was copying the bin number to somehow pick only the lowest 80 CRI bin.

I'd still take the TX though.

• 2 weeks later...

I got XT-E Royal Blue from Rapid LED years ago... I don't know anything more specific than that. Cree's spec sheet says max 1.0A but rapid's website says 1.5A

I want to crank my blue's up but don't want to fry them. Set the ELM-60-48P to 1.25A today with DCC-01 controller bringing the intensity back down...

what max current should I set them to ?

If you read the datasheet from the Cree website (the only information you should ever trust), then you will find that the white XT-E can be driven up to 1.5A, while the royal blue can only be driven up to 1A. Chances are Rapid just copied the text over from the white XT-E and forgot to change the current rating.

Technically, you can drive the royals at 1.5A too, provided that you have adequate cooling. Your expected reliability goes out the window though, and there are diminishing returns from driving the LED beyond its spec. Can you? Yes. Should you? No.

Archived