Coral Vue Hydros

Dremmel Bit for GSP

clink51

so i have GSP that has grown all over my main zoa display rock. i'd like to remove said GSP from the rock. Anyone have recommendations on what to use? other than the diamond wheel?

cant really get into all the nooks and crannies with a blade though. also, i'd like to go quicker than anything else simply because i dont want to risk losing my zoos

yeah you're really just going to make a mess with the dremel. razor and peel is really about the best method, but I find a good sharp quality pair of tweezers is really invaluable for peeling matted corals (I use them for peeling off unwanted xenia).

if you can take the rock out I have used a wire brush from the hardware store in the past. I don't do it in the tank because it makes a mess and idk what crap is on those wire brushes. But it works great outside the tank!

Back in my GSP days, razor didn't work at all. I'd have new heads in a few weeks.

I ended up taking out the rock and using a blow torch.

I wish I was kidding.

Back in my GSP days, razor didn't work at all. I'd have new heads in a few weeks.

I ended up taking out the rock and using a blow torch.

I wish I was kidding.

Plus one here I have done this as well!

I swear I wrote a post here exactly the same as this. And got the same answers.

Razor blade did nothing. Any purple would MAGICALLY start growing again.

Peeling... lol. It was like peeling a stubborn price sticker off plastic.

vegasgundog

Well I suppose you could use epoxy over it. Not going to be quick but it would die out under it eventually. Pull it off later.

I'd be very very careful using a torch around any zoas or palys.. you don't want to end up in the ER..

give good solid tweezers (not cheap flimsy ones) a try for ripping the mat off the rock, you might be surprised, I have had no issues doing it this way. easiest and cleanest way ime.

I tried using a razor and peel- nope dis not work. Perfect description above, it was like removing a difficult price sticker.

Mine grow in between my zoas and nothing has happened.

The tweezers are probably the best way but if you leave 1 little piece- it will come back.

I must be the only person that can't grow GSP. Xenia grows like crazy, but my GSP struggles.

i had the same problem... until i didnt... now i wish i had that problem haha!

i'm hoping to be able to get a good chunk off and glue it to my overflow, would be pretty cool imo

while on the topic, there is striclty zoa on the rock my GSP is currently attempting to take over... how long can zoos be out of water?

i had the same problem... until i didnt... now i wish i had that problem haha!

i'm hoping to be able to get a good chunk off and glue it to my overflow, would be pretty cool imo

while on the topic, there is striclty zoa on the rock my GSP is currently attempting to take over... how long can zoos be out of water?

Zoa's can be out of water for awhile. 10 min easy. 20 min I would start wetting it down again.

they used to ship many soft corals with just wet paper towels on them.. I think they still harvest stuff that way. I wouldn't be too worried, just don't let them dry out. heck my sps is out of the water for 15+ minutes while I'm doing water changes.

Archived