ReefCleaners.org

PRICES ARE RIDICULOUS THESE DAYS

aviator300

I was searching for a simple 2 to 4 gal ATO container and have been checking out Tupperware style stuff. I had planned on spending around 10 to 15 bucks when I came across this ad.

Unbelievable what we will pay for a plastic box.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Trigger_Systems_Sapphire_ATO_Reservoir_Tank_Aquarium_Sumps_Accessories-Trigger_Systems_LLC-6E81659-FIFRBSAC-vi.html?utm_source=MarineDepot.com+Newsletter&utm_campaign=2e76657320-Marine_Depot_Newsletter_Limited_Edition_7_15_2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_8741a9ea99-2e76657320-225371469&mc_cid=2e76657320&mc_eid=48e1135d6e

I was searching for a simple 2 to 4 gal ATO container and have been checking out Tupperware style stuff. I had planned on spending around 10 to 15 bucks when I came across this ad.

Unbelievable what we will pay for a plastic box.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Trigger_Systems_Sapphire_ATO_Reservoir_Tank_Aquarium_Sumps_Accessories-Trigger_Systems_LLC-6E81659-FIFRBSAC-vi.html?utm_source=MarineDepot.com+Newsletter&utm_campaign=2e76657320-Marine_Depot_Newsletter_Limited_Edition_7_15_2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_8741a9ea99-2e76657320-225371469&mc_cid=2e76657320&mc_eid=48e1135d6e

well there are cheaper options, but they won't look as nice as an acrylic tank like that. try the blue camping water jugs from wal-mart, I think I paid somewhere around 15 or 20 bucks... sure, it's not as nice looking but it's also not $120+. another option would be to pick up a cheap glass 5-10g aquarium and either buy or make a top for it.

aquatainer-1-e1395096444701.jpg

I use a five gallon bucket with a hole in the lid just large enough to squeeze pump wire and hose through.

well there are cheaper options, but they won't look as nice as an acrylic tank like that. try the blue camping water jugs from wal-mart, I think I paid somewhere around 15 or 20 bucks... sure, it's not as nice looking but it's also not $120+. another option would be to pick up a cheap glass 5-10g aquarium and either buy or make a top for it.

aquatainer-1-e1395096444701.jpg

I have a 5g one of these, works nice.

There are cheap dosing containers, maybe theres a simple ATO one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-Dosing-3-Chamber-Container-4-5L-1500ml-each-for-Dosing-Pump/262490376854?_trksid=p2352135.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3D7f96acb75681422a85531fb393728b78%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D3%26sd%3D111929561855

This hobby just has different price points for different types of consumers.

Yea i know what you mean...

I used a 2.5 gallon food storage container for my ATO. I'd suggest going to the Container Store near and you'll be able to find something.

squamptonbc

You should see what we pay for stuff up north of the border for things, some things are cheaper, or the same, but most are considerably higher priced up here.

I can't do a direct comparison to the item in the link as the 2 primary salt water supply places in Canada, don't carry it, but based on the price listed, I would say 150-175 here for that item if it were to sell here.

One item I can directly compare is the New Prime HD, we pay $335 here for the light if we should want one....Yes it's CAD $ but $335 is a a lot of money, but tis life when nearly all Aquarium stuff is sold in USD from suppliers, our suppliers have no choice but to charge a hefty amount.

Probably why we are seeing less name brand stuff, and more off brand items from China, can't afford the name brand things anymore...lol

You should see what we pay for stuff up north of the border for things, some things are cheaper, or the same, but most are considerably higher priced up here.

I can't do a direct comparison to the item in the link as the 2 primary salt water supply places in Canada, don't carry it, but based on the price listed, I would say 150-175 here for that item if it were to sell here.

One item I can directly compare is the New Prime HD, we pay $335 here for the light if we should want one....Yes it's CAD $ but $335 is a a lot of money, but tis life when nearly all Aquarium stuff is sold in USD from suppliers, our suppliers have no choice but to charge a hefty amount.

Probably why we are seeing less name brand stuff, and more off brand items from China, can't afford the name brand things anymore...lol

Isn't big Als in canada? I remember getting a light from them because it was a good price.
fishfreak0114

Conversion makes everything more pricey, I bought a nanobox retro this year and paid over $100 on the exchange rate.

intarsiabox

Isn't big Als in canada? I remember getting a light from them because it was a good price.

They are but their dry goods are typically much higher priced than other vendors in Canada, livestock is more competitive. It's not all bad up here though, we have an excellent custom aquarium and sump builder that is really cheap compared to others and I have a local guy who has a part time frag and fish business that he runs out of his house that has really good prices as well.

They are but their dry goods are typically much higher priced than other vendors in Canada, livestock is more competitive. It's not all bad up here though, we have an excellent custom aquarium and sump builder that is really cheap compared to others and I have a local guy who has a part time frag and fish business that he runs out of his house that has really good prices as well.

Who is the aquarium builder?

erinmegan85

I've been looking for an ATO reservoir for my larger tank that is just finishing cycling, and I was kind of blown away that some ATO reservoirs cost that much. I understand paying that much if you have room for one under your tank, and want everything to match etc. I would like one that's like 10 gallons, and it will be kept in a separate cabinet to the side of my tank, so I'm not too concerned with looks. I'd rather spend like $15.00 on a 10 gallon tank and get a lid for it.

squamptonbc

Those of you in Alberta and Ontario seem to have a good aquarium scene compared to other parts of Canada, we have J &L but that is about it for salt. They are good, just a bit restrictive on selection.

Yes things are becoming more expensive.

Corals are ridiculous at times.

Here in Cda not only do we pay more, you get hit hard with an added 13% tax...if you order direct from US- there really is little saving. The dollar conversion, the duty, the taxes, shipping, and possibly brokerage fees....

In Ontario we have quite a few stores- most charge the same, maybe a $5 difference...the only dry goods I have ever seen on sale would be at Big Al's- big al's doesn't sell everything.

We are limited with product and suppliers- importing laws and taxation.

HarryPotter

The acrylic ATO reservoir can be considered a "luxury" item. If you don't want to pay the price use a different container ;)

fishfreak0114

Those of you in Alberta and Ontario seem to have a good aquarium scene compared to other parts of Canada, we have J &L but that is about it for salt. They are good, just a bit restrictive on selection.

Have you been to King Ed's Pets? I really like that store, they seemed to have healthy tanks and supplies are stacked floor to ceiling.

squamptonbc

i don't live near them so have never been there.

J & L does online ordering so they are my best option, although limited in choices.

Have you been to King Ed's Pets? I really like that store, they seemed to have healthy tanks and supplies are stacked floor to ceiling.

Really. Only J&L out in BC. I remember a few yrs back there were far more available.

No stores in Ontario will ship to you?

Try Canada Corals or Fragbox. I know Canada Corals ships via air, so I can't imagine BC is off limits.

Most of the other stores here don't ship but those 2 do

fishfreak0114

All the stores in BC I've been to and liked are J&L, Kind ed's, pet city, and seahorse bay aquatics. I like to go to other hobbyists for frags. I've ordered from Canada corals and fragbox and was very happy with them.

Acrylic is expensive, this is really a niche market. Most are hand made in relatively small quantities. Yes laser cutting and CNC have brought the cost down a bit but for a company making only aquarium related products they need to make a living. $100 for a nice ATO reservoir is really not that bad. I made my own awhile back I spent almost $50 on acrylic and Weldon and it took almost all damn day to finish and was not all that pretty.

Yes some stuff in this hobby is just ridiculous as for pricing but when your talking about something that is probably hand made I think the price is justified

squamptonbc

Shipping is too high. I only have a small tank and paying 30-40 dollars for 1 or 2 frags isn't worth it, and frags are pretty easy to find, it supplies that get tricky at times especially if your not looking for the trendy hot brands, took a while to find the skimmer I wanted, but I finally found someone selling it... J & L stopped carrying the brand and reef supplies seemed to never have in stock, so not worth ordering from. (I wanted an Aqua C remora skimmer, as there really wasn't anything suitable to my liking at J & L)

I rarely need fish or corals, only live stock I really buy now is a snail or hermit every so often. Because of free shipping with Amazon.com, and being right on the border, I tend to order the bulk of supplies from the US, because of the high shipping in Canada and rarely does my order hit the magic free shipping price, even with exchange rate, I pay about the same or slightly less so it works for me.

In 10 years of cross border shopping, I have yet to be stopped and asked to pay any duties or taxes, eventually I may, but the crossings in BC really seem to have no desire to have throngs of people inside waiting to pay a few bucks in taxes for their purchases.

Really. Only J&L out in BC. I remember a few yrs back there were far more available.

No stores in Ontario will ship to you?
Try Canada Corals or Fragbox. I know Canada Corals ships via air, so I can't imagine BC is off limits.

Most of the other stores here don't ship but those 2 do

Archived