Pod Your Reef

Fresh BC14

BlindZide

Checked basic params today since I am getting life. Did not check typical coral tests. Not worth the used testing liquid.

Using Red Sea Marine Care Test Kit

Temp - 79

pH - 8.2

Trites - 0

Trates - 0

Ammonia - 0

Did a 1 gallon water change while waiting for test results.

I have algae with bubbles (Not dino type thank god!!!) and GHA.

Could the Algae be consuming my params?

Note that rock was from previous tank.

Sand was new.

I have nothing in there to feed on the stuff so should I add a snail or 2 of just wait it out?

MP10, NanoBox Retro Fit Kit, and inTank Media Basket all out for delivery today! Getting home from work this evening will be like Christmas morning!

All packages arrived although wet. Mr.Postman left them on my doorstep right before a pouring of rain.

I have the Nanobox Retro Fit Kit installed. Took me about an hour. Most of that time was trying to get the darn app to work on Android. I got tired of fussing with it so I used my wifes iPad and it synced up real quick. Settings are amazing and I feel like a kid in a toy shop.

About to hook up the MP10 right now.

inTank media basket will have to wait until tomorrow.

Exciting! I'm impressed it only took you an hour. It took me like half a day :P

I build computers as a hobby and I am a Telecommunications technician so working with wires is 2nd nature.

So with the pending media basket install I want to make sure I have what I need. I have Chemipure Blue and filter floss so far. What else should be kepthe inside this magnificent device?

fishfreak0114

I run mine with:

1. Floss

Phosgaurd

2. Purigen

3. Chemipure

It's really up to you what you think will work best for your tank, I'd probably run phosgaurd at least periodically to help with phosphates.

Reef Hollister

So with the pending media basket install I want to make sure I have what I need. I have Chemipure Blue and filter floss so far. What else should be kepthe inside this magnificent device?

GFO I my opinion.

I run mine with:

1. Floss

Phosgaurd

2. Purigen

3. Chemipure

It's really up to you what you think will work best for your tank, I'd probably run phosgaurd at least periodically to help with phosphates.

Can you run purigen with Chemipure Blue?

Floss on top of phosguard. Got it.

GFO I my opinion.

How much for a 14g would you say?

Reef Hollister

How much for a 14g would you say?

I always put one of the pre packaged packs of Purigen (smallest they sell) under my floss because they tend to lie flat and fit well that way, but I don't think it matters if it is Purigen or Phosguard, whichever you can get to fit best under the floss.

fishfreak0114

I think you can, I don't see why it wouldn't be fine :)

Parameter check along with floss change yielded....

Ammonia - .2

Nitrite - .5

Nitrate - 10

Phosphate - 0

PH - 7.8-8.0

Cal - 380

Alk - 9

SG - 1.025

Temp - 79

Have to get a Mag test kit.

• 3 weeks later...

Week 4 test

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 0

Phosphate - .25

PH - 7.6

Cal - 360

Alk - 7

SG - 1.025

Temp - 79

Cycle numbers look awesome. Not sure where the Phosphate is coming from. PH seems a little low. Alk seems a little low. Whats the best way to bring them up?

fishfreak0114

Whatever you do, NEVER CHANGE PH WITH BUFFERS. It just generally leads to more problems with other parameters being thrown off. You could try opening a window so there's more oxygen, but I doubt it would do too much. 7.6 is ok though, I think my tank around there (I don't test pH) Not sure about the alk. :)

^ agree. Don't chase ph, don't dose it either.

Ph changes throughout the day and is effected by photosynthesis.

To really know the ph level- it needs to be tested after lights on for a few hrs and tested at the exact same time of day.

I test ph monthly-if that.

Your phosphates are high. Gfo can help that as well as good regular maintenance. If you use gfo, monitor phosphates well

Ca and alk are a bit low. A 2 part doser(esv bionic is good) can help but so can water changes.

Test your newly made salt water, see what its mixing at.

I found my params got better when I changed my sg to 1.026.

Before getting into dosing, try testing the new water, try water changes. Read on dosing before jumping into it.

Testing magnesium is really important. If it gets low- your ca and alk will be very hard to get balanced...not to mention corals need mag.

Test 08/21

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 2

Phosphate - 0

PH - 7.6

Cal - 360

Alk - 8

SG - 1.025

Temp - 79

I suspect trace of Nitrate due to dead crab found today during WC. Phos seems to to have dipped. Lets see if it stays consistent. Started raise in SG to 1.026 to see if Alk and Cal will raise as well. If all else fails I shall begin dosing

Stock as of today:

1 Clown

1 Neon Goby

1 Red Hot Chili Pepper Montipora

1 Bird of Paradise

1 4 Head Frogspawn

1 3 Head Torch

1 Kenya Tree

1 Ultra Green Clove Polyp

1 Orange Eye Chalice

• 2 weeks later...

Nitrates and phos in low numbers is not an issue. If anything, its beneficial. Too clean of a tank can lead to issues as much as high nutrient levels.

Don't start dosing yet. If the system is new, give it time to stabilize.

Before dosing do larger water changes. Monitor your levels and see the usage of each parameter to determine what your tank is using and its needs.

Archived