Pod Your Reef

10 Gallon Nano Reef in the Works

BlueFenris

BlueFenris

Hello everybody. I've decided to do a ten gallon reef because of space and monetary limitations, so I figured I would come here to ask any questions that I have.

So far I have the ten gallon tank, a glass top, a Koralia 240 nano powerhead, a 50w heater, and an Auqaclear 20 that I'm planning on turning into a little refugium, and some Instant Ocean salt. I'm planning on getting sand, about ten pounds of dry rock and a pound or two of live rock to seed the dry.

My tentative stocking list is:

1 Ocellaris Clown

1 Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse

Corals:

Frogspawn

Candy cane

Plate

Zoanthids

Pagoda Cup Coral

Brain Coral

Taro Tree Coral

Caulastrea

Any suggestions would be welcome, and I'm still not entirely sure what my clean up crew should consist of.

So my main questions are what lights would be good for my set up, and do I need a second powerhead or will the one and the flow from the auqa clear be enough? Thanks in advance. :)

FrostbyteNano

Hello everybody. I've decided to do a ten gallon reef because of space and monetary limitations, so I figured I would come here to ask any questions that I have.

So far I have the ten gallon tank, a glass top, a Koralia 240 nano powerhead, a 50w heater, and an Auqaclear 20 that I'm planning on turning into a little refugium, and some Instant Ocean salt. I'm planning on getting sand, about ten pounds of dry rock and a pound or two of live rock to seed the dry.

1 Ocellaris Clown

1 Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse

Corals:

Frogspawn

Candy cane

Plate

Zoanthids

Pagoda Cup Coral

Brain Coral

Taro Tree Coral

Caulastrea

Any suggestions would be welcome, and I'm still not entirely sure what my clean up crew should consist of.

So my main questions are what lights would be good for my set up, and do I need a second powerhead or will the one and the flow from the auqa clear be enough? Thanks in advance. :)

Hello there. I am very new to reefing but I feel like I need to step in here and just let you know what I have experienced in my start in this hobby. I started with a 5 gallon AIO aquarium with live sand and dead rock. Total investment, $50 because I had the aquarium before hand. Then it is the test kit (~$45), Salt (~$50 for 50 gallons), Refractometer (~$20-100+), RO/DI water (maybe free if you have a system, otherwise you need to buy it or buy a system), the light for the corals you are describing there will run you at minimum $200. Clownfish $20, Wrasse ~$30-50. Corals... no telling... depends on the size of the frags. Clean up crew will be the cheapest thing you put in that tank, but will need to be replaced as things die etc. Put simply, reefing is NOT something to start on a limited budget. Regardless of the size of the tank, it is simply at minimum 10X more expensive than freshwater from my experience.

Also, an aquaclear 20 will probably not serve very well as a fuge... its not big enough. You'd be better off looking into a AC70 or bigger. I don't want to be a daisy downer... but I too had no idea how much this hobby will cost. Trust me when I tell you, if you buy cheap, you will be replacing or end up losing live stock etc. Do lots and lots of research. Be patient. Ask questions. And buy once and buy right!

BlueFenris

What I meant by limited budget is that I can't afford a large tank, but I can save up for the small tank. I do have an RO unit, and I have the bag of salt already. I've done fresh for years and have been planning saltwater for at least around four years, hence why I have several of these things, I just haven't actually gotten started on the tank before now. The 20 will be temporary as a fuge until I can get a 70, but I figured might as well use what I have now. Thanks for your reply!

SideCar_Falcon619

Budgeting and keeping a Reef Tank seem to be words that do not belong in the same sentence....

At least for me...

I'll blow a check everytime I'm in the LFS lol

Not just on live stock either.

Equipment is fun too!

My other hobby is cars, and Idk the equipment aspect of the reef tank feels just like adding something new to my car.

I need less expensive hobby's...

anyways...

WELCOME! Can't wait to see a FTS!

I'm cycling a 10 gallon right now as well! I will def. follow your progress!

The flow may be fine.

I found that my koralia did not flow near as well as my rw4. And beings as you have a long tank it may not be able to keep up.

For a light there are so many options it's hard to say.

With your stocking plans, and seeing there's some sps in there, I would look at either the AI prime, Kessil a150/160, or the best being a Nano box tide/duo.

Welcome to the hobby, and try not to spend too much. ;)

Harrisonbored

First off welcome to NR! This site is a wealth of information...just use teh search function and almost any question you have will have already been discussed/answered previously.

That being said, I'll tell you what has worked for me in regards to your questions and budget limitations.

You will be fine with 1 powerhead. Lighting...I'd get a Par bulb and a desk lamp that you can adjust the height on.

AC20 as a fuge? Nope...you'll want to be able to add filter floss, Purigen etc: instead. Plus you'd need to buy another light just for the fuge.

Just add some macros to the display instead.

Your coral selections are fine...but your livestock choices I'd reevaluate.

Tanaka wrasse (my absolute favorite fish I've kept...Pink Streak Wrasse too)...they require a ton of rock with holes and cracks to swim in and out of to feel safe. if there isn't a ton of rockwork they will just hide...and you don't want that? Plus wrasse are constantlyhunting...so goodbye to any pods, worms, snails, shrimp (that will fit in their mouth)...basically any clean up crew you have will eventually be

harassed. With no clean up crew, your maintenance schedule must be aggressive and diligent or else the inevitable algae issues will pop up.

Clowns (or poop machines) will also require diligent maintenance.

If you search you'll see that in the long term most of the successful smaller nanos usually start with inverts and maybe a goby or two and then as the tank matures move on to bigger fish.

I'm not saying that what you're proposing can't be done...it's just going to be a lot harder for you. And everyone is trying to set you up for success!

Hope this helps

BlueFenris

Okay, so no on the 20 as a fuge. One question though, I thought that in saltwater traditional hang on back filters with media in them were nitrate farms? Is that not true on a nano setup or am I just completely mixed up on that?

And would a court jester goby be any good in this setup as an only fish?

For the HOB 20,It depends on what you put in them.

Like harrisonbored pointed out, if you are putting purigen and floss in them you be changing and cleaning them every few weeks, so nitrates can't really build up in there.

BlueFenris

Okay, thanks that makes sense. Any suggestions on the best macros to be in a display tank? I can trim regularly of course, but I don't want something that'll take over.

Harrisonbored

Okay, thanks that makes sense. Any suggestions on the best macros to be in a display tank? I can trim regularly of course, but I don't want something that'll take over.

Lots of variables here...lighting requirements, flow needs, some suck a lot of Ca or Mg or I, some can go sexual...are you primarily looking for nutrient export, pod breeding, cool looking or all of the above?

There's a bunch of AMAZING macro tanks here on NR...look at those system setups and see whats working for them.

BlueFenris

After a bit more research on the court jester goby I've realized it's probably not best for a first salt tank, so I'm gonna keep looking and bring ideas back here for input.

And I'm looking for all of the above with the macro algae. I'm gonna do some reading and stuff and get back to you guys on what I'm thinking.

BlueFenris

So for macro algae I'm thinking Red Bush, Maiden's Hair, Mermaid's Fan, and Halimeda. Any input on those? Also, with the corals I'm wanting as well as those macro algae, should I go with a t5 fixture? And does anyone have a link to some specific fixtures that you'd recommend?

BlueFenris

So I'm leaning towards a Yellow Watchman Goby and a Tiger Pistol Shrimp. Thoughts on that?

Also I haven't been able to find anywhere, but is there a rule against double posting? I know some forums have rules like that. If so I'll combine my last few posts.

Harrisonbored

Red Bush (Gracilaria) always did great for me. Both times I tried Maidens Hair it got devoured by my hermits and emerald crabs. Read up on Halimeda and Calcium. Never had Mermaid's Fan.

So what's your budget for lighting?...that will help us help you better.

Goby/Pistol shrimp combos are entertaining...but they kick up sand...occassionally burrowing where you don't want them to. So any corals on the sandbed (Plate, Brain etc;) could get pissed off

BlueFenris

Budget for lighting would probably be $200 at most. Of course I could save a little longer if need be.

fishfreak0114

Also I haven't been able to find anywhere, but is there a rule against double posting? I know some forums have rules like that. If so I'll combine my last few posts.

Not that I'm aware of. I do it all the time on my build thread and no ones told me off :)

SideCar_Falcon619

So I'm leaning towards a Yellow Watchman Goby and a Tiger Pistol Shrimp. Thoughts on that?

That was my first fish!

This was only a few weeks ago -_-

They are very cool when paired up.

Yes the pair will kick up sand and dig, but its really not the big of a deal IMO.

I do suggest selecting the pistol carefully.... they have different personalities.

I originally had a tiger snapping shrimp and he was soooo cool! like a little bulldozer! always shoveling sand with his claws and not very shy at all. the Goby and him paired up and were inseparable immediately!

Then I accidentally killed him while overhauling the tank : (

I replaced him with a different pistol, not nearly as cool looking... don't remember the name... actually the LFS wasnt even sure... -_-

this one seems to use his legs to dig kind of like a dog... and is VERY skittish and rarely ever out. Also more of a loner. I dont think my watchmen likes him.

Read up before you get the pair.

I miss my old shrimp : /

So for macro algae I'm thinking Red Bush, Maiden's Hair, Mermaid's Fan, and Halimeda. Any input on those? Also, with the corals I'm wanting as well as those macro algae, should I go with a t5 fixture? And does anyone have a link to some specific fixtures that you'd recommend?

Welcome!!! I agree with an above poster: I'd skip the maiden's hair. I've had bad luck with it as well - it just doesn't seem to be hardy and yeah, things definitely love to eat it. Both mermaid's fan and halimeda are good - they won't take up nutrients as quick as some other macros, but they add some nice texture to the tank. Red bush (hayi) is a good choice. I'd also think about some red grape (botryocladia). It's one of my favorites! And lastly, blue scroll and blue ochtodes are also great choices I think! They add some nice color to the tank.

BlueFenris

So no maiden's hair then, no problem. There are plenty of cool other ones! Red grape is one I liked the look of, and I'll look into the others you mentioned. Thanks! :)

1 Ocellaris Clown

1 Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse

Corals:

Frogspawn

Candy cane

Plate

Zoanthids

Pagoda Cup Coral

Brain Coral

Taro Tree Coral

Caulastrea

hi,and WELCOME!!!! I'm 10 months into my 10gallon nano reef tank and loving it! I've been told that running this size of tank would be hard,and honestly it is challenging but very doable.one thing I would suggest is,instead of using standard sea salt,would be to use some good reef salt,io makes it if you are happy with io.ive heard good things about it.I use kent marine reef salt.another thing that I have done is a 20% water change every week without fail.it seams with a 10 gallon you need to examine your "inhabitants" on a daily basis if possible just to keep an eye on things.research everything you want to put in your tank.I've also found that with my reef salt ive had no need to dose any supplements which for me is good.I definitely don't consider myself an expert but having this tank I've run into a lot of situations and am wiser than I was,lol.feel free to ask me if you have any specific concerns,maybe it's something that ice experienced before,but again,WELCOME!!

Welcome

The hobby is not a cheap one but there are things you don't have to have and things you can buy gradually.

The powerhead plus the hob filter will be enough for a 10g.

I would use the hob for floss, carbon, phosphate removers. If you change the floss weekly and clean the filter monthly it won't become a nitrate factory.

There are affordable options for lighting:

Coral compulsion par38 bulb

Ai Prime

Nanobox

Aquamaxx nemolight

T5ho fixture

A clownfish in a 10g should be fine but I wouldn't do any other fish.

You could do 2 clown gobies

Yellow watchmans are fun

BlueFenris

I really like the nemo light. Would that be good for the corals and macros I want?

And I'm definitely gonna go with the YWG and pistol shrimp combo.

Archived