SaltCritters.com

Open for suggestions on coral for my tank

Bcb577

So some of you have seen my 2 month old coralife biocube 14 gallon.within the next col of weeks I'm going to start adding corals and would like suggestions on what to add.I want to keep the tank simple with mostly softies,and maybe a cpl sps like hammers,torch, or frog spawn.I know that I want some gsp to glue to the back wall and let it spread,but just curious as to e m what others would do,I've included a pic so you can see the aquascape

post-91309-0-74840700-1466907452_thumb.jpg

Well its personal preference but if you want to stay simple lps and softies are good choices.

I love toadstool leathers. There are toadstools that have green polyps which is really pretty. Very easy coral to keep.

My fav leather is a yellow fiji...show piece leather, yellow and slow growing.

Xenia i find quite facinating with its pumping action. Some ppl have them take over but I haven't experienced this. I just frag mine and trade it in for credit:) you could actually attach these to the back wall as well. I've seen this on others and its really pretty.

You could do some zoas, they add some nice colour to the tank

For lps: frogspawn are great, they add some nice movement and colour.

I love purple tip torches but they have long sweepers that can sting other corals except euphyllias(same family) so distance is required.

Brains are great as well, most like lower light areas.

Duncans are cool too.

SideCar_Falcon619

I 2nd the comment about frogspawn and movement.

I love the frogspawn in my tank... beautiful green and it adds movement

Plus they are super easy to care for.

Aggressive yes... but just plot distance

27256878694_8f8e3cb1e5_k.jpgIMG_2564 by Michael Marella, on Flickr

Frogspawn is awesome. I have 1 in each tank.

In my 15g its a golden frogspawn which has long sweepers

In my 10g i have a green one which doesn't have sweepers.

I love your frogspawn- awesome colours!

Odyssey350kc

If you want some stony corals I would start with some orange Montipora, grows fast, doesn't need a ton of light and is fairly hearty. Also agree the frogspawn is a good one as well.

Gsp is really pretty. It pops in the tank.

Some have issues with it taking over. Mine took 7 mnths before it started spreading. It has grown in between my zoas but stayed on the one rock. Both zoas and gsp are fine.

What some ppl do is glue the gsp to the back wall which looks super nice.

Like others have stated, zoas, xenia, leathers, and gsp. I'd add mushrooms to the easy list as well.

For your first couple of corals.

Go to a good LFS and find 2-3 good looking pieces of zoas, just don't get too many (trust me). They are usually pretty hardy.

Also don't get caught up in the designer corals, while they can look super pretty, they are usually very fragile to work with.

You want to learn how your corals react to specific water conditions, and see which conditions are favourable to your tank.

And don't be afraid to make mistakes, everyone makes mistakes, it part of learning. :)

Oh ya, we've all done impulse buys to go home and cringe after reading the mistake you purchased...carnation coral for me:(

Ha, I added some 15 corals at once. I think half made it through the next month, not to mention my water was all kids of messed up. :(

Thank you everyone! Lots of great ideas,but I have it narrowed down,to frogspawm,torch,candycane,but I'm very intrigued by putting gsp on the b back wall and letting it take over the back wall.I have a big group of zenia in my 10 gallon I may fragrance and put some in the sand ,I've successfully kept it from spreading to other rocks in my 10 gallon

Archived