inTank Media Baskets

Biological filter sponge

Pjanssen

I'm not sure why I haven't thought of this before, but...While cleaning the back chambers of my bc29 I realized there is a sponge in the bottom of the 3rd chamber. In 3 1/2 years I have never removed or cleaned this. Should I? Great collection of beneficial bacteria, or potential cesspool?

I would clean it. I think you have enough bacteria to handle the cleaning. I cleaned mine probably once a month. Then again, if it ain't broke don't fix it. If it's been there for 3.5 years why mess with it?

I'm not very helpful!

Yeah if you are going on 3 years without heavy fluctuations especially in nitrates then I would say don't fix what aint broke... But in my experience I have found sponges tend to increase nitrates... I change my filter floss once a week or when it changes colors along with my poly filter... Totally up to you however.... Good Luck!

agreed with all. its literally excess and not needed. if you removed that sponge and threw it out, then removed half your live rock never to go back, you'd still have an excess of required filtration (that which is required to maintain zero ammonia per bioload)

all of us are dealing in massive, massive surface area overages. agreed if you kick up waste from it a little spike happens, nbd. total removal, nbd. soak in bleach five days and put back in clean, same as removing, all inconsequential.

agreed with brandon... the surface waste is why I usually use a turkey baster 3x a week to blow off my rocks.. keeps the nitrates nice and lows

vegasgundog

I grow cheato in the second chamber, the sponge keeps it there. That said sponge will gunk and clog. I started changing it out a couple of months ago when I started having issues maitianing water levels in the second chamber. I cut a new piece that will fit down there and throw out old.

I would clean it. I think you have enough bacteria to handle the cleaning. I cleaned mine probably once a month. Then again, if it ain't broke don't fix it. If it's been there for 3.5 years why mess with it?

LOL-You should go into politics!

IronChefItaly

I only consider porous media that doesn't harbor detritus and uneaten food as "effective" biological sites. For that reason, I believe mechanical filters (sponges, filter floss, filter socks) only have a place in your system if you can clean them out 2-3 times a week or as necessary otherwise they are nitrate factories.

Archived