Coral Vue Hydros

cycle question

ClownfishReefer

ClownfishReefer

Hi,

I have a tank running for about a year now and i have awful bryopsis. i would like to remove ALL my live rock and replace it with dry rock, would this cause a cycle to the tank?

brandon429

The specific answer is removal does not cause a cycle as long as you don't have a large store of rotting waste under the rocks, cast it all into the tank, and then not have enough surface area left over to actively filter the bloom. A few things come to mind as you consider options:

Why not cure the bryopsis in tank, see Pjanssens cure thread for pics

If you are going to do the restart, clean the whole tank at once don't just focus on rocks- a sandbed is typically at play as well

You need to verify whatever surface area you are leaving active in the tank can handle the ongoing bioload, dry rocks take time to catch up. You likely need to reduce tank bio loading accordingly

A specific test tells if you have enough active surface area, no need to guess.

It's possible to add back fully cycled rocks instead of dry ones, taking care of the missing surface area factor.

joshvollberg

Most likely it will cause a short cycle. Having live sand/biological filter will obviously shorten the cycle, but check your ammonia and nitrite after you add dry rock.

Archived