Pod Your Reef

Modded Aqua One Trio - 8.5 Gallon

ArtihC

Hey everyone,

I'm a long time hobbyist but this is my first time doing a nano tank. I thought I'd join this great community, share my set-up and get advice and feedback from everyone here.

The tank is an Aqua One Betta Trio (8.5 gallons). I removed the dividers, swapped the spray nozzle with a spray bar from an Eheim Pro 4 which I cut to fit, and changed the pump to the Hydor Pico 100.

The filter compartment is set up like a sump. I decided not to use the included media cartridges but kept the coarse sponges. I now have an Eheim Skim 350 in the first chamber to draw in a bit more water and any surface scum/debris. The second and third chamber has the coarse sponges, the forth chamber has Eheim Substrate Pro, the fifth chamber has cheato and Chemi Pure Elite. The final chamber is where the heater and Pico 100 pump is.

For lighting I am using an AquaticLife 36", 36W Expandable LED (12 x White, 18 x Blue, 6 x Purple) with the lens diffusers (optics) removed. I also have an EcoTech MP10 ES-W.

I'm using Carib Sea Life Rock and Caribbean Live Sand. It is just softies, zoas and GSP at the moment.

There's a cleaner shrimp, peppermint shirmp, 4 blue legged hermits and 2 Ocellaris Clowns.

20160602_160554.jpg

20160511_172604.jpg

20160511_172610.jpg

20160602_160504.jpg

2016_06_02_16_08_13.jpg

• Like 2
RIP Sebastian

Hey everyone,

I'm a long time hobbyist but this is my first time doing a nano tank. I thought I'd join this great community, share my set-up and get advice and feedback from everyone here.

The tank is an Aqua One Betta Trio (8.5 gallons). I removed the dividers, swapped the spray nozzle with a spray bar from an Eheim Pro 4 which I cut to fit, and changed the pump to the Hydor Pico 100.

The filter compartment is set up like a sump. I decided not to use the included media cartridges but kept the coarse sponges. I now have an Eheim Skim 350 in the first chamber to draw in a bit more water and any surface scum/debris. The second and third chamber has the coarse sponges, the forth chamber has Eheim Substrate Pro, the fifth chamber has cheato and Chemi Pure Elite. The final chamber is where the heater and Pico 100 pump is.

For lighting I am using an AquaticLife 36", 36W Expandable LED (12 x White, 18 x Blue, 6 x Purple) with the lens diffusers (optics) removed. I also have an EcoTech MP10 ES-W.

I'm using Carib Sea Life Rock and Caribbean Live Sand. It is just softies, zoas and GSP at the moment.

There's a cleaner shrimp, peppermint shirmp, 4 blue legged hermits and 2 Ocellaris Clowns.

20160602_160554.jpg

20160511_172604.jpg

20160511_172610.jpg

20160602_160504.jpg

2016_06_02_16_08_13.jpg

That's so pretty! Wow! I'm at a loss for words. SOOOOO much better than mine. What are the dimensions of the tank? The tank itself seems to have some interesting dimensions.

Nick

P.S. I'm totally nominating you for TOTM for July.

Thanks for the kind words Nick! It's still a work in progress and I can't wait for it to mature and I plan on getting some SPS in there. I just checked out your Nuvo thread and gotta say yours is really nice as well.

Here's a better pic with everything opened up

2016_06_02_20_04_41.jpg

I forgot to mention the dimensions, which I found interesting but didn't like the dividers. It's 21.7" x 9.8" x 9.8". The depth is actually about 6.8" though, with the remainder for the filter area.

Thanks PJ! It's a fairly new setup and has been running for over a month now. I used the rocks and 50% of the water from an existing tank to seed the tank and speed up the cycle.

RIP Sebastian

Thanks for the kind words Nick! It's still a work in progress and I can't wait for it to mature and I plan on getting some SPS in there. I just checked out your Nuvo thread and gotta say yours is really nice as well.

Here's a better pic with everything opened up

2016_06_02_20_04_41.jpg

If your softies look this great, I can't imagine the SPS. Thanks for the words on the Nuvo, I haven't updated that in months. I need to get off my lazy butt :P.​

• 2 years later...