Coral Vue Hydros

Filter Mod Idea

NanoReefer27

NanoReefer27

Ok guys, I need some help here. After tons of thought and consideration I have come up with my own idea for my BioCube 14. It has been running for about 8 months, and I finally removed the BioBalls for the time being. I am going to add some media now. Here is what I am thinking:

Chamber 1: Modify stock cartridge with carbon and filter pad (basically creating my own cartridge without spending the 5 bucks every month, which is 60 per year by the way) then running the water into chamber 2.

Chamber 2: (From the top to bottom) Filter floss, drip plate, filter floss, drip plate, purigen, drip plate, chemi pure elite. (Or just chemo pure blue, I have heard if you run blue you do not need purigen too)

Chamber 3: removing the sponge and replacing with filter floss or pad.

Just a rough draft, let me know what everyone thinks

Why so complicated? All you need is: http://shop.mediabaskets.com/BioCube-14-Media-Basket-BC14MR.htm

Put some filter floss > media bags of purigen, carbon, ect in it..... anddddddddd done.

Totally agree. After trying to cheap out and make my own with egg crate, realized that $50 for a well designed media basket that would last forever was worth it, considering what we spend on our hobby. Have had 3 inTank baskets now - biocube14, 29 and even for a fluval5, and they are well worth the money!

NanoReefer27

Totally agree. After trying to cheap out and make my own with egg crate, realized that $50 for a well designed media basket that would last forever was worth it, considering what we spend on our hobby. Have had 3 inTank baskets now - biocube14, 29 and even for a fluval5, and they are well worth the money!

I know about the basket, and I'm not gonna spend 50 bucks on it when I can do it myself and add whatever I want

I'd make it easy.

In my IM chambers I run 1 piece of filter floss changed twice a week and a bag of carbon. I will be adding chemi pure blue to the media.

Keep it simple.

I have also put 2 snails in the back to keep it clean

You can easily make a media basket from egg crate or even acrylic, tons of diy plans.

I personally baught the IM media basket because I prefer the ease of cleaning it to cleaning eggcrate.

I know about the basket, and I'm not gonna spend 50 bucks on it when I can do it myself and add whatever I want

I still don't understand why you have so alternating much floss, ect. You only need floss on the top shelf to catch the big debris and some carbon or purigen ect below it and that is it. You should be changing the floss every 2-3 days.

My favorite thing about inTank addons is they fit perfectly and channels the water through the media. You won't get that with most DIY unless you are skilled. It makes the most out of your filtration.

NanoReefer27

I suppose, I figured that I would double polish the water, a lot of people recommend that. Also, when you day run purigen or carbon, what are the benefits of each and what would the difference be if I ran Chemi pure blue?

Archived