Cultivated Reef

Buying from Legendary Corals

picoreef78

picoreef78

Has anyone bought from Legendary Corals? Corals look nice but coloration on there webpage does not look real and everything seems to be marketing hype.

Are they worth the purchase, I was specifically looking at Zoa's and Paly's or a total flop once in your tank?

It's. Real.

Well, as real as your lighting can reflect - you could be washing out colors in your own tank.

But I did the LC live sale in November, and the corals are awesome. They're even legen--waitforit..

-dary.

Also, I got a hitchhiker banded trochus that has grown up and kept my tank in line. Good stuff!

• Like 4
Nano sapiens

Depends on your lighting. Darwin and crew like to use what looks like ~20k which is fine if you use similar. If not, then you'll have to use a bit of imagination as to what they'll look like in your tank or find a pic of the same coral under warmer lighting.

These Petroglyphs certainly did not disappoint :)

Petro1_122915_zpskbv7dc6h.jpg

• Like 3
picoreef78

The pictures look like the used a filter to really make the corals pop.

Anyway took the plunge and bought a boat load of Zoa's for my take, which are missing to help color it up a bit.

I think the algae might just take hold in higher-nutrient recipient tanks, or different lighting - going by the hitchhiker banded trochus I received, and Darwin communicating that they don't see any algae issues on their end, it seems like they've got nutrients under control and algae-eaters to spare.

• Like 1
Nano sapiens

Any frag from any vendor/hobbyist/LFS can introduce one or more pest algae, even though we may not notice them due to control measures. I've had 5-6 different types of pests come in over the last few years including 3 pest algae species, even though I remove corals from their plugs and carefully inspect each one with a magnifier before introduction. I've been able to eliminate all but one type of 'thread algae'.

Lighting and nutrients play a big role as to whether the pest algae thrives or languishes.

• Like 1

I have bought from Darwin over the years and have found him to be a good vendor. Customer service has always been good.

I do know what you mean with the photos and agree with others that it is mainly lighting. I think the photos are still cleaned up a bit, but I would say for the most part the have looked the same in my tank. There have been 1 or 2 that did not look as I expected upon arrival, but hopeful they will color up over time (pricey ones).

pa1ntbru5h

I've bought a few times from LC and their pictures of the corals have always looked very similar to what they look like in my tank.. Which is why I love them! I have my lighting set at 16k. Also their corals are very healthy and well packaged. You won't be disappointed.

aviator300

Only been buying from them for about a month now but have already placed 3 orders and what I get always looks like what is pictured.

BTW, their customer service is great. On my 2nd order, one of the Acans didn't make the trip very well and after 2 days it was a goner and it wasn't a cheap one either. Well guess what good ole Darwin did (bless his soul)? No questions asked and no photos required, he offered a full refund for the coral or a store credit for actually more than I paid for the coral. I took the credit and placed another order.

Whenever you run across a vender like this one, purchase with confidence.

picoreef78

Will do they will ship monday. Excited!

TSG watermelon Psammacora

Pink Zippers

LC Mango Tangos

Tyree Orange Rainbows

LC Twilights

LC Golden Nightmares

LC Alice in Wonderlands

Halle Berries

• Like 1

I rather see the real or close to real life pictures than the hyped up / photoshopped/ white balance crap manipulation.

Has anyone bought from Legendary Corals? Corals look nice but coloration on there webpage does not look real and everything seems to be marketing hype.

Are they worth the purchase, I was specifically looking at Zoa's and Paly's or a total flop once in your tank?

• Like 1
picoreef78

Just got in my order, twilights dropped and refunded because Darwin could not find the frag, but the corals are spectacular, packing was phenomenal and love the Hi-Chews.

Definitely lives up to the hype.

• Like 3
Legendary Corals

Just got in my order, twilights dropped and refunded because Darwin could not find the frag, but the corals are spectacular, packing was phenomenal and love the Hi-Chews.

Definitely lives up to the hype.

Glad you enjoyed your order. Hope you noticed the extra polyp on that Golden Nightmare. :)

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
cfaye@Delaware

I love these people, they treat you with respect. This is my second order from them and no matter how much you spend they treat you well, customer service is awesome. My first order was during their summer sale, everything arrived in good shape and is doing well. My second order arrived a few days ago and is doing very well. Everything is packed and shipped very nicely. I use a Coral Compulsion Par 30 Reef Vibrance LED, the coloring is pretty much on target. These people are my go to for coral. I feel that I get healthy coral from the start. 

• Like 2

Darwin and his team and LEGENDARY CORALS is super LEGIT!

I wait for Coral conventions to happen so I can go buy from them. They ALWAYS have the fire burning HOT!

Also, buying from them online is a great experience! They just know what they are doing man! they love coral more than you do

• Like 2