Pod Your Reef

What kind of Zoa and what is in between them polps?!?

Drewposi

Just pick up this frag for $15 bucks earlier from a LFS. Curious if anyone knows what kind they are and what is the thing on the top of the frag is??? Can't really tell. I didn't really see it in the store but now that it's in my tank it's driving me nuts...

image_zpsn1kisn7l.jpeg

Cencalfishguy56

Just pick up this frag for $15 bucks earlier from a LFS. Curious if anyone knows what kind they are and what is the thing on the top of the frag is??? Can't really tell. I didn't really see it in the store but now that it's in my tank it's driving me nuts...

lol picture?
ReefWeeds

The thing in the middle is a tunicate/sea squirt. Great filter feeder! You'll see the siphons expand and contract

Sponge. No worries. Nice zoas

Awesome I was worried. So in theory hey should grow right around the sponge? And is it normal for them to be closed at night... They were all open and out before I went to dinner. Came home and their closed..

The thing in the middle is a tunicate/sea squirt. Great filter feeder! You'll see the siphons expand and contract

So decent hitchhiker for 15 bucks?

ReefWeeds

Awesome I was worried. So in theory hey should grow right around the sponge? And is it normal for them to be closed at night... They were all open and out before I went to dinner. Came home and their closed..

So decent hitchhiker for 15 bucks?

Yeah for sure!! I have a few of those orange tunicates in my tank. I think they're really cool

Last question. I've been dosing kalkwasser in my top off water. I tested calcium today and I'm around 500ish. For a 20 gallon nuvo is this too high?

Cencalfishguy56

Last question. I've been dosing kalkwasser in my top off water. I tested calcium today and I'm around 500ish. For a 20 gallon nuvo is this too high?

Id ditch the kalkwasser and stick to religious water changes with a good salt, don't make things complicated especially with zoas and softies

So I came home from work today and my new little zoa frag which had a tunicate on it was all munched up!! There was a big chunk out of the tunicate and the Zoas were all closed. It appeared that the tunicate was eaten by something and was somewhat hanging in pieces off of the frag piece.

So I removed the frag and cut the little chunk of zoas off and salvaged 4 good polyps. I attached the polyps and a tiny piece of rock they were on to a piece of rock in the tank with some epoxy. My question is... If they end up living will they grow right on the epoxy which is surrounding the rock? And also what could have eaten my tunicate? I have two emerald crabs and a porcelain crab. I have never seen any of them up on the top rocks though.

Anybody got any idea?

image_zpseenf11fl.jpeg

image_zpsu64mvan3.jpeg

I agree, no need to be dosing in your tank with how little demand there is with your current livestock.

The ZOAS will spread over the epoxy with no problem. Just as long as their conditions are right for them to do so.... Lighting, flow....

I agree, no need to be dosing in your tank with how little demand there is with your current livestock.

The ZOAS will spread over the epoxy with no problem. Just as long as their conditions are right for them to do so.... Lighting, flow....

Yea I ditched the Kalkwasser and got some good coral beneficial salt. So we shall how that works. Thanks for the response.

LadyBryozoa

So I came home from work today and my new little zoa frag which had a tunicate on it was all munched up!! There was a big chunk out of the tunicate and the Zoas were all closed. It appeared that the tunicate was eaten by something and was somewhat hanging in pieces off of the frag piece.

So I removed the frag and cut the little chunk of zoas off and salvaged 4 good polyps. I attached the polyps and a tiny piece of rock they were on to a piece of rock in the tank with some epoxy. My question is... If they end up living will they grow right on the epoxy which is surrounding the rock? And also what could have eaten my tunicate? I have two emerald crabs and a porcelain crab. I have never seen any of them up on the top rocks though.

Anybody got any idea?

image_zpseenf11fl.jpeg

image_zpsu64mvan3.jpeg

Yikes! Sorry that happened to your tunicate :(

If I had to guess, I would say the tunicate died and then crabs, etc came out of the wood work to feed on it. They are filter feeders and would need lots of plankton to do well in a tank.

Archived