Coral Vue Hydros

Cleaner Mag Upgrade

bob115

So I wasn't super happy with my vertex duplex cleaner since the felt on the dry side started peeling after only a couple uses, not to mention the large amount of drag it had (especially on the rubber paint on the back of my tank, granted this isn't likely a common problem). I had tossed around the idea of putting teflon mouse feet onto it, but then I figured why not try to find teflon tape? $5 for 5 yards with prime shipping on amazon. Stuff I got is a pretty ugly transparent brown, but it works like a dream. Slap it on and trim it flush with a knife and you're good to go.

Drag is far far less than the original felt pad. Longevity is unknown, but since I've got a 5 yard roll of the stuff, and each application only takes a few inches, I'm not too concerned about it. Plus I'm sure I can find a few other uses for it around the house or other projects.

Why don't mag cleaners come with this stuff standard? I guess its probably more expensive than a piece of felt, but especially on more premium products I would expect to see it.

Archived