Innovative Marine Aquariums

First saltwater setup

Bldgengineer

ReeferBrian

Just wanted to say hi,and that I'm enjoying this thread! I have a new 14 gallon that just finished cycling.I had an issue which is called new tank syndrome green algae on sand,glass,rock,so of course I panicked,lol.but now it's clearing up,so don't be surprised if your tank goes through an ugly period,it might not but just a heads up.not to steal your thread,but thought I'd share a pic

post-91324-0-49178400-1464402938_thumb.jpg

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just saw your thread for the first time tonight, congrats on a good start!

As you found out it takes a long time to cycle with 100 percent dry rock, but a lot of people do it that way on purpose so they can control exactly what's in the tank. Since you're almost there after three weeks, just stick it out.

Since you don't seem to have a good lfs near you I wouldn't trust any live rock you get to be pest free. Why take the chance?

What test kit are you using? Some kits are notorious for inaccurate results, especially for ammonia.

Your goal is to get to the point where you can add a small amount of ammonia, measure it, and see it go back to zero within 24 hours. In the process you should see nitrites spike, then go back to zero, and then finally nitrates. Usually the nitrite spike happens fast so it's easy to miss it unless you test every couple hours.

Good luck!

Bldgengineer

I just saw your thread for the first time tonight, congrats on a good start!

As you found out it takes a long time to cycle with 100 percent dry rock, but a lot of people do it that way on purpose so they can control exactly what's in the tank. Since you're almost there after three weeks, just stick it out.

Since you don't seem to have a good lfs near you I wouldn't trust any live rock you get to be pest free. Why take the chance?

What test kit are you using? Some kits are notorious for inaccurate results, especially for ammonia.

Your goal is to get to the point where you can add a small amount of ammonia, measure it, and see it go back to zero within 24 hours. In the process you should see nitrites spike, then go back to zero, and then finally nitrates. Usually the nitrite spike happens fast so it's easy to miss it unless you test every couple hours.

Good luck!

Right now I only have an API kit to go by. When I tested ammonia on distilled water and it showed .25 that's when I new I needed a different kit. I'll be picking up better kits later but this will due until the end of the cycle.

I tested ammonia today and it read .50 so it's not quite at the 24hr period yet. I'll wait until it completely drops and dose it again

I've been reading a lot about QTs lately and I'm seriously thing about using some of the equipment I'm replacing to set one up.

You figured out the important thing about the API ammonia test - it never reads zero, especially for salt water.

In almost three years of reefing, I've never used an ammonia test after the first month of starting a tank, except in an emergency. For an emergency, either an ammonia badge or the API kit is fine.

If it still reads at about .5 tomorrow, then that probably means it was really at zero today too. If it does, you're safe to add a small clean up crew, not that you have anything that needs cleaning up. But snails are great guinea pigs to see if your tank is cycled, and they add a bioload to start getting your biological filter capacity increased. Until you get fish or corals, you can feed them by just throwing in a tiny bit of flake food or pellets once every few days.

Since you are LFS-impaired, check out reefcleaners.org - John is a sponsor here on N-R. If you read the reviews you'll see that John run a very popular a well-respected shop, and his prices are great. Just order one of his pre-packaged snail kits. For less than $20 shipped you'll get plenty of snails that are all reef-safe. Just don't order a larger kit than you need! John is notorious for his inability to count :lol:

Oh, and yes, yes, yes, do the quarantine tank, but you won't need it until you have things in your display tank that you don't want to lose. Right now, the best place to put a new fish is your fully cycled tank. The worst thing that could happen is if your fish has ich and you have to use copper, you'd have to replace your rocks and snails :)

Bldgengineer

You figured out the important thing about the API ammonia test - it never reads zero, especially for salt water.

In almost three years of reefing, I've never used an ammonia test after the first month of starting a tank, except in an emergency. For an emergency, either an ammonia badge or the API kit is fine.

If it still reads at about .5 tomorrow, then that probably means it was really at zero today too. If it does, you're safe to add a small clean up crew, not that you have anything that needs cleaning up. But snails are great guinea pigs to see if your tank is cycled, and they add a bioload to start getting your biological filter capacity increased. Until you get fish or corals, you can feed them by just throwing in a tiny bit of flake food or pellets once every few days.

Since you are LFS-impaired, check out reefcleaners.org - John is a sponsor here on N-R. If you read the reviews you'll see that John run a very popular a well-respected shop, and his prices are great. Just order one of his pre-packaged snail kits. For less than $20 shipped you'll get plenty of snails that are all reef-safe. Just don't order a larger kit than you need! John is notorious for his inability to count :lol:

Oh, and yes, yes, yes, do the quarantine tank, but you won't need it until you have things in your display tank that you don't want to lose. Right now, the best place to put a new fish is your fully cycled tank. The worst thing that could happen is if your fish has ich and you have to use copper, you'd have to replace your rocks and snails :)

Honestly, I've always hated the API kit. I test and evaluate boiler and condenser water as part of my job (building engineer) and these kits really bother me. My nitrites are still really high. I ordered the 10 gallon clean up crew from reefcleaners but I asked them to not ship them until next Friday. Kinda gambling on my nitrites going down by then.

Good plan! But since the snails will get shipped via two-day priority express, he'll probably ship it the following Monday.

High nitrates aren't nearly as big a deal in SW as they are in FW tanks. But high nitrites now are a good indicator you're reaching the end of the cycle.

This is an old article, but still very useful: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-06/rhf/index.php

Bldgengineer

Good plan! But since the snails will get shipped via two-day priority express, he'll probably ship it the following Monday.

High nitrates aren't nearly as big a deal in SW as they are in FW tanks. But high nitrites now are a good indicator you're reaching the end of the cycle.

This is an old article, but still very useful: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-06/rhf/index.php

My biggest issue was accidentally OD'ING the tank on ammonia. Use a dropper. Lesson learned. My nitrites were over 5.0 while my ammonia was still coming down from 8.0. If John doesn't ship until that Monday that will be fine for me.

I saw the tiniest true percula clown today that I REALLY wanted too! As well as a small maroon clown that was colored perfect except for the white spot on its side :( Unfortunately, this is what got me thinking about the QT. I would have definitely taken it home just to cure it if I had a QT

Bldgengineer

Small update. Just tested and ammonia is gone again. Nitrites still completely through the roof :( oh well. Dropped a couple of drops of ammonia in and will test again tomorrow to see how it does.

image_4.jpeg

Bldgengineer

So I decided to check my nitrate level just to see how high it had gotten and it's gone. It tested zero. I tested it again and got the same result. This time last week it was at around 20ppm. Any ideas what might be going on?

Like the setup you got going here... the cycle will take some time I have had my 5 gallon up and running for a couple months now and have a good CUC and some corals still trying to figure out what other inhabitants are going to be lucky enough to call my system home

Bldgengineer

Yeah I know it's going to take a while. I'm just trying to figure out what made my nitrates disappear. I haven't changed any water and the only filtration I have is the rock and the hob filter

ReeferBrian

Keep an eye on your nitrite for a few days,and watch and see if it goes down and your nitrate goes up,

Keep an eye on your nitrite for a few days,and watch and see if it goes down and your nitrate goes up,

^this

Cycling with dry rock just takes forever because there's no bacteria or organic material to start with.

In general, first you get high ammonia, then high nitrites, then high nitrates. You're almost done!

Bldgengineer

Lights came in today! :D

image_5.jpeg

This is with all 3 channels at 10%

Haven't done any testing yet to see where I am. Maybe after I'm done grilling chicken. It's been a few days hoping to see some kind of change

Lights came in today! :D

image_5.jpeg

This is with all 3 channels at 10%

Haven't done any testing yet to see where I am. Maybe after I'm done grilling chicken. It's been a few days hoping to see some kind of change

Hmmm, new light vs. grilling chicken...

I think I'd nominate an emergency Chicken Grilling backup person to get to work :lol:

Bldgengineer

Hmmm, new light vs. grilling chicken...

I think I'd nominate an emergency Chicken Grilling backup person to get to work :lol:

Oh I got the light lite and programmed before I started grilling! :lol:

Oh I got the light lite and programmed before I started grilling! :lol:

Oh, well, I guess that's OK, then. ;)

Bldgengineer

Well tested my tank last night and came up with the same results :( I'm hoping these nitrites find their way out by the time my cuc comes from reefcleaners. Anybody know what I should feed the snails when they get here? I don't think I'll have enough in there to keep them going. I know they won't need much. Maybe a few flakes about once week?

I would feed the snails just a little bit of fish food. Pellets are better than flakes because many flake foods are high in phosphates.

Since your nitrites aren't coming down, I would try two things. First, have the LFS double check a water sample for you just to make sure you dont have a test kit problem. Second, start dosing a bacteria supplement. I use Microbacter 7, and a lot of people use Dr. Tim's. It can't hurt and will probably help since your tank is cycling slowly.

Bldgengineer

I would feed the snails just a little bit of fish food. Pellets are better than flakes because many flake foods are high in phosphates.

Since your nitrites aren't coming down, I would try two things. First, have the LFS double check a water sample for you just to make sure you dont have a test kit problem. Second, start dosing a bacteria supplement. I use Microbacter 7, and a lot of people use Dr. Tim's. It can't hurt and will probably help since your tank is cycling slowly.

I tested my gf's freshwater tank which has been cycled for several months and got 0 nitrites so I'm fairly certain the kit is good. I think I'll do a water change and throw in some bio spira (only thing I have access to near me).

I tested my gf's freshwater tank which has been cycled for several months and got 0 nitrites so I'm fairly certain the kit is good. I think I'll do a water change and throw in some bio spira (only thing I have access to near me).

Are you waiting for things to go down, or are you continuing to add ammonia? Just wondering...it seems strange to see nitrites go this high for this long.

Bldgengineer

Are you waiting for things to go down, or are you continuing to add ammonia? Just wondering...it seems strange to see nitrites go this high for this long.

I haven't added any ammonia since last Friday or Saturday. It's been a weird cycle all around.

Archived