SaltCritters.com

Kessil A160WE or Radion XR15w Pro

swaefa

I am new to reefing and have done quite a bit of research on my lighting options. I have narrowed down my options to two. The tank is a Red Sea Reefer Nano. Any feedback would greatly be appreciated.

Personally, I've always been a Kessil fan. I seem to prefer the look of the cylinder hanging over the tank than the flat box look.

Both are great. I like the XR15pro for better color control but I like the cylinder look of kessils. Mostly personal preference when it comes down to it.

reefernanoman

I am new to reefing and have done quite a bit of research on my lighting options. I have narrowed down my options to two. The tank is a Red Sea Reefer Nano. Any feedback would greatly be appreciated.

I've been using Kessil A160WE on both my 10G and 28G cubes for over a year and my coloration and growth have been very nice. I do dose, so that helps. Still, I have tried other lights, and nothing came close to that mesmerizing shimmer. I've seen the XR15 in person, it looks nice, but I prefer Kessil.

Love my kessil's. I'm about to add a couple T5's to the mix and have the best of both worlds. To me, Kessil is the metal halide of the led world, the shimmer and the small pendant take me back to my 175w pendant mh days. Oh, the 90's.

reefernanoman

Look into a Nanobox Duo, IMO it would be a superior option than either of the two lights you mentioned.

Subjective statement. I had been told this before, and it didn't work out for me. I'll never buy another LED fixture without LOOKING how appealing it is to my own eyes. To The OP, look at these things in person first before making your decision. Word to the wise.

Subjective statement. I had been told this before, and it didn't work out for me. I'll never buy another LED fixture without LOOKING how appealing it is to my own eyes. To The OP, look at these things in person first before making your decision. Word to the wise.

Right, that's why I threw the "IMO" in there.

In My Opinion

reefernanoman

Right, that's why I threw the "IMO" in there.

In My Opinion

I'm sorry for not reading your statement correctly! I guess that's what happens when you have like 2 hours of sleep in a few days inside of a hospital (newborn here).

I'm sorry for not reading your statement correctly! I guess that's what happens when you have like 2 hours of sleep in a few days inside of a hospital (newborn here).

Congrats! I just had another one two months back.

Kessil with spectral controller, the shimmer is really amazing. Haven't seen any other LED has this kind of mesmerizing shimmer.

Cencalfishguy56

Kessil seals the deal for me, as much as I like radions control the look is just not there for me, kessils have a small footprint and pack a powerful punch

phillyclownfish

My radion burnt my foam pad on top of my stand and the radion wasn't even touching the pad. I think the radions are a bit powerful :o :o You could smell the foam burning. Also had a kessil before the radion...

they both work. frag farms use both as well. house of frags i think is all kessil and here is a pdf on radion growth.

http://ecotechmarine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Ecotech_CoralLab_WP1.pdf

i would go with ecotech or nanobox. if you want less shadowing, prolly nano duo. or a hybrid nanobox.

in the future i will go either repeat radion or try nanobox. still waiting on the phillips led coral care light.

I have a Kessil 160we and im starting to hate the light.

It's all perfect until you agitate the surface pretty good then that shimmer is just too crazy on my eyes. I mean it's getting to the point I can't look at my tank for more than 20 seconds at a time.

No I'm not old.

And besides that, the shadowing is crazy. Plus, the light seems too dim to me..

I'm going to sell the light (4 months old, goose neck and controller), and try a GHL Mitras.

Archived