ReefCleaners.org

Shoaling fish

Nstocks

I'm ready to start stocking my 1000L system and will be taking a long trips to some fish store this weekend.

My initial thoughts were Chromis viridis - the calmer type of blue/green Chromis but none of the fish stores within a 200 mils radius stock these particular (common) species!

Clownfish look incredible as a group, but I'm worried about them not having anything to host in.

Then there's Bangaii Cardinals. They are nice enough but don't swim around much ;)

Eventually I'll have a group of Anthias, but for such frequent feeders I don't want these right away.

Any thoughts?

Chalk bass make amazing groups. I had a dozen in my old build and they didn't have near the aggression issues that anthias and chromis have, plus they stayed pretty close to each other.

I'm ready to start stocking my 1000L system and will be taking a long trips to some fish store this weekend.

My initial thoughts were Chromis viridis - the calmer type of blue/green Chromis but none of the fish stores within a 200 mils radius stock these particular (common) species!

Clownfish look incredible as a group, but I'm worried about them not having anything to host in.

Then there's Bangaii Cardinals. They are nice enough but don't swim around much ;)

Eventually I'll have a group of Anthias, but for such frequent feeders I don't want these right away.

Any thoughts?

Blue eyed cardinal is the hot thing right now!

Blue eyed cardinal is the hot thing right now!

They look a little 'tropical' for me :lol:

We don't get much variety over here, so there's no chance they would be stocked anyway!

I'm really tempted with 10 clownfish, but that's a lot of money for a lot of risk, compared to Chromis at one third of the cost.

They look a little 'tropical' for me :lol:

We don't get much variety over here, so there's no chance they would be stocked anyway!

I'm really tempted with 10 clownfish, but that's a lot of money for a lot of risk, compared to Chromis at one third of the cost.

You mean 10 siblings, ya?

Odyssey350kc

I've had chromis and anthia. Neither have fared well in my tank, however I got 3 yellowstripe cardinals ( might be the same as the blue eyed cardinal), and I love them. All 3 eat like pigs, look pretty, actually school, and seem to have made my clownfish and wrasse more friendly.

You mean 10 siblings, ya?

Yes, 10 very small clownfish all of the same species, colouring, pattern etc.

I've had chromis and anthia. Neither have fared well in my tank, however I got 3 yellowstripe cardinals ( might be the same as the blue eyed cardinal), and I love them. All 3 eat like pigs, look pretty, actually school, and seem to have made my clownfish and wrasse more friendly.

Those are in Coral magazine as a good shoaling option, along with Chromis and dart fish...

I think I'm going to try 10-12 Chromis.

Archived