Pod Your Reef

24 gallon bare bottom clean up crew

reefercorey

reefercorey

So I am graduating college in less than a month and last time I was home I got my 24 gallon nano cube set up with water and my rock structures and it is currently cycling, hoping it will be good to go when I go back.

So what what a good clean up crew for 24 gallons and specifically bare bottom be? I plan to keep mostly Zoas and maybe a few other easy corals, so they would have to be reef safe. I've seen some things saying like 1 snail per gallon but that seems like way too much. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The cycle should be done but its hard to say for sure. It depends on the rocks you added, any bacteria additives, ammonia etc.

I set up my tank 90% base rock, 10% liverock and added the bacteria pack that came with the sand, i also ghost fed the tank. Mine cycled in 2 weeks but I kept testing for 3 before adding anything.

For clean up crew, start off with less because if there isn't enough for them to eat, they will die and that will lead to other issues.

Start off with 2 snails- i love turbos, trochus, and spiny star snails they do great work.

I personally love having hermits, they clean well and are entertaining. My halloween has never attacked a snail nor did my scarlets.

Blue legged, zebra, will go after nassarius and cerith snails for the shells, if you provide empty shells this usually prevents the snail murders.

Archived