SaltCritters.com

Coral Lighting

timmyliauw

I have 4 months nano saltwater tank running (20 gallon 18" cube). I have 2 ocellaris clownfish and 1 flasher wrasse. I want to make my tank into reef tank. I'm planning to buy 5 corals: duncan coral, xenia coral, brain coral, hammer coral, and frogspwan coral. I have marineland lighting with 6 white led bulb, and 3 blue led bulb. Can the corals that I want to buy be thriving with the lighting that i own? If no, what can you recommend? I want my ocellaris clownfish to host coral. I also want to get bta but with my lighting, I don't think I can. I checked on ebay about 165w aquarium led light and went to my lfs asking about his opinion about it. The person in my lfs is bit snob and cocky person because he said (with smirking laugh) that if I buy the 165w led light from ebay, i will have problem in the future. I want to make sure if what he said is true? Is the 165w led light be enough for bta? Or Should I get stronger light?

Do you have a link to the light you have? It also depends on how deep the corals are place. Just a note, corals and BTA are the ones that host the clownfish and not the other way around, haha. Those 165 watt leds are very powerful and can easily do the job. Still going to have to play with the intensity of the fixture and where the corals are placed within the tank (depth is very important). I wouldn't bother with the majority LFS people, unless you're running Radions or ATI (for LEDs) they will probably say what you have isn't enough.

Pinner Reef

That Marineland light will not throw enough light for those corals...

What is the light you're looking at on Ebay? Are you in the US.

This is the 165 watt led light that I was talking about

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-MarsAqua-Dimmable-165W-LED-Aquarium-Light-Full-Spectrum-Reef-Coral-SPS-LPS-/251512919399?hash=item3a8f569567:g:AcIAAOSwnTJXAoH8

My marineland is almost similar with this product. I got the light from a friend of mine and I think mine is an older version of this:

http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-ML90617-00-Advanced-Strip-24-Inch/dp/B00KL8TQMO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1460768455&sr=8-5&keywords=marineland+aquarium+led+lighting

My tank is 18" deep and also I have a lot of live rock. I don't remember how many pound of the live rock.

Since it is only 18" wide, those 165 watt panels should do you just fine. That light that you have now will not grow much at all. I have a similar one over a low light freshwater tank but that's about it.

I have owned this light and IMHO it is the best of the Chinese lights out there. 120w is all you need for your tank. In fact, that 165w light your looking at would easily burn the corals if you're not carefull. The Ocean Revive T247 is remotely controllable with not only dimming but two channel color adjustment as well. Again, IMHO this is the one of the best lights that you can buy for under $200.00

I know they are out of stock right now but if you're patient, this light will perform circles around that one you are looking at.

http://www.oceanrevivellc.com/goods.php?id=19

Pinner Reef

Lighting is one of the few things I will throw countless money at in this industry... Simply put, it's a one time purchase that you'll never regret.

I have 4 months nano saltwater tank running (20 gallon 18" cube). I have 2 ocellaris clownfish and 1 flasher wrasse. I want to make my tank into reef tank. I'm planning to buy 5 corals: duncan coral, xenia coral, brain coral, hammer coral, and frogspwan coral. I have marineland lighting with 6 white led bulb, and 3 blue led bulb. Can the corals that I want to buy be thriving with the lighting that i own? If no, what can you recommend? I want my ocellaris clownfish to host coral. I also want to get bta but with my lighting, I don't think I can. I checked on ebay about 165w aquarium led light and went to my lfs asking about his opinion about it. The person in my lfs is bit snob and cocky person because he said (with smirking laugh) that if I buy the 165w led light from ebay, i will have problem in the future. I want to make sure if what he said is true? Is the 165w led light be enough for bta? Or Should I get stronger light?

I literally have the same exact setup!! Well, I actually have 2 of the setup, I use two of the marine land lights (that's two lights on each tank), and everything grows fine. I have frogspawn, xenia(pulsing ones, which grow like mad and I end up giving them to the lfs), hammer, some zoas, mushrooms, and even had some birdsnest sps for a while. I have had multiple bta's and carpet nems, and the grow and split just fine with the lights.

I'll throw some pics up in a little bit

CORRECTION, I have 2 of these lights on each tank

http://www.marineland.com/Products/aquarium-lighting/LED-Aquarium-Lighting/Reef-LED-Strip-Light.aspx

• 2 weeks later...

Archived