SaltCritters.com

Vertical Bars in Photos

neontetra777

neontetra777

Hi Nano reef community,

I have a quick question for you all. I have been trying to take pictures of my nano reef using my iphone 6. However, there are always vertical bars of darker color appearing within every photo I take. As an example, If you look at the photo (below) closely, you can see the vertical bars in a dark blue color. I've tried adjusting the color temperature and intensity, but all photos taken under the Prime LED light with my iphone 6 will have these vertical bars. what are they and how can i get rid of them?

post-91136-0-91326200-1460572453_thumb.jpg

neontetra777

Do they do this when you take photos elsewhere?

No. Only when taking pictures under this LED light. Is there something wrong with the light?

It's the crap Apple camera with the blue lighting.

Actinic lighting is hard to photograph. This is why most use a DLSR and shoot in RAW to adjust on lightroom later on.

Or get a S7, amazing camera. Or wait, Apple will catch up in 5 or so years

No. Only when taking pictures under this LED light. Is there something wrong with the light?

Funny... I get horizontal bars using a windows phone. It goes away if I take the picture from farther away.

neontetra777

It's the crap Apple camera with the blue lighting.

Actinic lighting is hard to photograph. This is why most use a DLSR and shoot in RAW to adjust on lightroom later on.

Or get a S7, amazing camera. Or wait, Apple will catch up in 5 or so years

Stevie, thanks. I was wondering if it's the phone or my light that causes the problem. Is there any way to enhance the ability of the iphone camera?

Stevie, thanks. I was wondering if it's the phone or my light that causes the problem. Is there any way to enhance the ability of the iphone camera?

Heck if I know I give my monies to Samsung in the phone dept.

Be together, not the same

Heck if I know I give my monies to Samsung in the phone dept.

Be together, not the same

It's true,all my goon fts come from a Samsung Galaxy S5 and while they aren't same quality as say an expensive camera set up it takes nice photos,really nice.

I just upgraded from the S5 to S7 edge. Holy shit they really upgraded the camera and the S5 was already good.

Can shoot in RAW and the auto focus is nuts.

HarryPotter

I use an iPhone and got excellent photos under LED. There might be a problem with your camera?

jamescstein

Try switching to the square photo. I find most of the over processing on my iphone goes away when I switch to that mode.

neontetra777

Just turn the blue LEDs down. No need to make this into a fanboy war for no reason.

If i turn down the blues completely, I still get the bars. Any reasons why?

Try switching to the square photo. I find most of the over processing on my iphone goes away when I switch to that mode.

I have tried that but no help.

I use an iPhone and got excellent photos under LED. There might be a problem with your camera?

So to rule that out, i used my roommate's iphone 6 which also had vertical bars.

Just turn the blue LEDs down. No need to make this into a fanboy war for no reason.

Always a reason for that, or so it seems. Don't get me wrong, all my pcs are OSX, 1 being my hackintosh I've been running for several years, but iOS? No thanks. I'll stick to my Nexus with vanilla android.

To get back to the original OP, as stated before, LEDs are always difficult to capture true colors and know that the iphone cameras are not the best. Possibly using a gel may help to eliminate that problem? I've seen a bunch of iPhone picts, good and bad, but don't recall those stripes before. Wish I could be a lil more helpful.

neontetra777

Always a reason for that, or so it seems. Don't get me wrong, all my pcs are OSX, 1 being my hackintosh I've been running for several years, but iOS? No thanks. I'll stick to my Nexus with vanilla android.

To get back to the original OP, as stated before, LEDs are always difficult to capture true colors and know that the iphone cameras are not the best. Possibly using a gel may help to eliminate that problem? I've seen a bunch of iPhone picts, good and bad, but don't recall those stripes before. Wish I could be a lil more helpful.

I have actually tried filter gels but they do not seem to help at all. Thanks for the responses tho.

Sk8n Reefer

There are many camera apps that are more detailed in settings and can allow you to adjust for the blues with the iPhone. Look through them and find one that has manual adjustments to color temps. I find adjusting the angle that I shoot with my iPhone or iPad also helps but being able to adjust individual settings is the key.

Christopher Marks

I think what you're seeing is the effects of what is called 'rolling shutter' combined with the extremely fast flickering of LED lights. Rolling shutter has to do with the camera's image sensor reading photons hitting the sensor line by line, starting from top to bottom, or in this case left to right for a vertical photo. This happens very quickly, but your LED lights are actually strobing much faster than that, and the banding you see is the actual variation in LED lighting while the image sensor is reading data. It's happening so fast our own eyes won't perceive it, but the camera is actuating capturing it.

If you were to record video with that same camera and aquarium, you should notice the lights flickering in the footage captured.

neontetra777

I think what you're seeing is the effects of what is called 'rolling shutter' combined with the extremely fast flickering of LED lights. Rolling shutter has to do with the camera's image sensor reading photons hitting the sensor line by line, starting from top to bottom, or in this case left to right for a vertical photo. This happens very quickly, but your LED lights are actually strobing much faster than that, and the banding you see is the actual variation in LED lighting while the image sensor is reading data. It's happening so fast our own eyes won't perceive it, but the camera is actuating capturing it.

If you were to record video with that same camera and aquarium, you should notice the lights flickering in the footage captured.

Wow I love this scientific explanation. Thanks Chris.

Adjust the settings on the camera. That's what I had to do,should be a simple fix. The iPhone cameras aren't bad,they just hate blues lol. But on a real note,get a android. I have a S6 and the cameras are amazing. Especially in "PRO" mode,you can adjust so much.

Archived