Top Shelf Aquatics

taking the hammer to the nuvo 20

Balix

Well finally got the time to do it this weekend.

1xdSh3B.jpg

n7sXH73.jpg

610OpTF.jpg

Anyone interested in doing the same, I caution but it's not too hard.

I had a glass shop cut me two new baffles. Dimensions are 2-12/16 in. x 9-13/16 in. using 1/4 in. glass

Supplies: Hammer or heavy wrench, eye protection googles, utility gloves, Wet Vac or a strong vacuum with hose, silicone, and new baffles. Oh I forgot, a hair dryer too.

I did this with my fish and frags in the display. I made sure the heater was in there. Covered the tank with saran wrap to prevent glass from entering when it's hammer time.

Steps that I could remember

1. Drained the back chamber as much as I could. I then used a turkey baster to remove more of the water. Finally dried it out with paper towels and use the hair dryer to get some evaporation.

2. Broke the baffles with a heavy wrench (I'm sure a hammer works too). Small pieces of glass will fly around so wear eye protection!

3. Using the utility gloves, I removed the big pieces by hand. Don't forget protection!

4. I used a vacuum with a hose to suck out most of the glass pieces. I would say about 99% of the broken glass is gone at this point.

5. I poured regular tap water in the back chamber and drained it a few times to get rid of any remaining glass particles.

6. Repeated step 1 again to let it dry

7. Silicon new baffles.

8. Test it for leaks by filling the chambers

9. Repeat step 1 and seal up any leaks.

10. Added some fresh carbon even though the silicone was aquarium safe but boy did it smell strong.

I got very lucky at the end. I didn't account for the return pump tubing. I silicone in the new baffles to fit the skimmer I wanted but didn't think about the tubing from the return pump and the elbow. Luckily, I gave myself extra space. Make sure to account for that extra space you will need.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've already done this on my nuvo 10, got rid of the inner baffle and the horizontal baffle piece that creates the bottom false wall, worst design ever. I ran it without the inner baffle for a month before adding in an acrylic piece since water seemed to be stagnant without it.

I was thinking of the doing the same to my nuvo 20 but using a glass baffle so silicone adheres better.

Plan is....

- buy tempered glass and go to ace hardware to get it cut

- remove inner baffle and horizontal piece below it (hardest part is cleanup)

- Silicone in the new baffles (extended further out)

A concern is the nuvo 20 is longer, wonder if the false wall will hold up while I remove those 4 baffle pieces. Water will be drained from the sump so there is a big pressure difference. Will be doing this while my tank is filled with water on the display with corals and fish.

post-83299-0-70551100-1460517673_thumb.jpg

Just a heads up before you waste any money, you cannot buy tempered glass and then have it cut. You have to buy it the right size and then have it tempered. Dont go tempered at all, just get 1/4 inch plate.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived