Top Shelf Aquatics

Mixed Reef Question

Renstar

I'm pretty new to the hobby and had always wanted a mixed reef. I am moving in that direction with the pieces that I do have in my tank. Unfortunately, more and more am wanting to do the high light high flow sps corals. This makes it incredibly difficult considering the pieces I already have in my tank.

How have you all been able to balance out your reefs?

Light I think is an easier thing to control with each piece but I'm struggling with flow. It seems like no matter what I do the tank will either have too little flow for the Acros or too high flow for some of my other pieces. How do you balance that?

Am I making it too hard on myself and should just do a predominate sps tank with a few lps stragglers?

I've actually thought about trading my corals to my lfs in order to become more dominate in sps. Maybe that's my best option.

Thoughts?

Nano sapiens

Whether a true 'Mixed Reef' or a 'SPS Dominant', they both have their challenges when it comes to small tanks. IMO, the smaller the tank, the more difficult it is to keep corals that like quite different light and flow intensities.

Flow and light will be easier when the tank is stocked with similar requirement SPS. The challenges will be in providing the correct amount, intensity and type of light, stable parameters that many SPS require as well as enough feeding while still maintaining excellent water quality.

If you attempt a mixed reef, then you'll need to identify suitable micro-habitats within your system that suit the different types of coral. Much of this can be gleaned from reading, but also through trial and keen observation.

In a small tank, you're probably SOL. Although you can successfully keep both, the chances of them keeping their pretty colors are slim. I would start swapping corals out as your tastes change.

I'm pretty new to the hobby and had always wanted a mixed reef. I am moving in that direction with the pieces that I do have in my tank. Unfortunately, more and more am wanting to do the high light high flow sps corals. This makes it incredibly difficult considering the pieces I already have in my tank.

How have you all been able to balance out your reefs?

Light I think is an easier thing to control with each piece but I'm struggling with flow. It seems like no matter what I do the tank will either have too little flow for the Acros or too high flow for some of my other pieces. How do you balance that?

Am I making it too hard on myself and should just do a predominate sps tank with a few lps stragglers?

I've actually thought about trading my corals to my lfs in order to become more dominate in sps. Maybe that's my best option.

Thoughts?

Your overcomplicating it. Get yourself a nice wave maker like an mp-10 or rw-8 for flow and your good to go. You can keep sps, lps, and softies all together with minimal issues. Just be aware of coral placement and their eventual growth. Good luck with everything!

I think rock work plays a vital role in flow. I have a 34 gallon reef and I am able to have pretty variable zones within the reef. The top of my tank has all of the SPS and is very high flow. The middle and lower sections hold LPS and soft corals and the flow is lower because it is blocked by rocks and deflected off of the tank glass on the opposite side of my powerhead

Archived