SaltCritters.com

Need stocking ideas for BTA dominant 12G/22G long

Halo_003

I'm curious if anyone has any input on fish stocking. Right now I have 3 Flaming Prawn Gobies and an Occ. Clownfish (gladiator pattern), eventually I would like to get something like a misbar clown to go with her, but beyond the clown pair and more FPG (I would like a big group like 10 or so) I am unsure. (Current tank is a 12G long, wouldn't add more than a clownfish to make my pair until I swap up to the 22 later in the year.)

I've thought about things like (just ideas, not a stocking plan!) an African Flameback dwarf angel, a pair of Bangaii Cardinals to try to breed, a pair or trio of Helfrichi or Purple Firefish, a Royal Gramma, a gold assessor, but I am just unsure how any of these would do in a BTA dominant display. I will probably keep my acans at least so there will be a little LPS as well. Any ideas would be welcome. B)

(copied from tank thread in sig to this area.)

StinkyBunny

You're at critter critical mass in that tank, if not overstocked. African Flameback angels are relatively reef safe, there is ALWAYS the possibility that they'll start nipping corals and especially clams. I haven't seen ANY dwarf angel that would turn down a clam snack.

I copy pasted this post from my tank thread, so let me clarify real quick; I'm not worried about nutrient levels (will be adding a Simplicity DC120 Skimmer+10G sump this month). The prawn gobies have literally zero impact on a tank this size, so the only fish I'm counting is my clown. Even at 10 FPG I doubt that comes to the same bioload level as an adult clownfish, and 3 is such a small impact it's negligible.

I think eventually I would like to do at minimum a clown pair and my gobies, and then I would consider adding more fish down the road after that, so I'm looking at a roughly 6-8 month from now timeline. I'm also going to swap my 12G long to a 22G long possibly over summer, if not then then sometime mid fall, so I'm planning with that in mind. So to be honest I'm not sure I would have anything more than a clown pair in the 12. Also no plans to add clams so I'm not too concerned with that factor, I did think about maybe doing a Maxima eventually but I would be more concerned about BTAs moving and harming it.

TL;DR version: 12G long now, 22G long later in the year, would not have 5 fish in the 12. Most in the 12 would be a clown pair+flaming prawn goby group. Other fish would be for the 22. I've updated the OP to reflect that change.

Archived