inTank Media Baskets

Just Starting Biocube 14

Pocket_Tamales

Hey Pocket, I don't know if this might help, at least temporarily. I Have a Regular Fan (Stand Fan) Blowing directly at our Tank.

I also have the Feeding door thing on the top of the hood open. This is helping us for now with keeping temps from exceeding 84.

Last page of my tank build. Link is in my Sig.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After reading through about half of your tank thread, doggy (it's way too late, going to have to finish it tomorriw) I'm going to take your word on that. Not only do you know your stuff, you've documented years of experience on this forum :D.

Thanks for taking an interest and for the awesome tank thread. I hope to share your success one day!

This hobby is one of my favorites. It teaches patience, persistence, an appreciation for the beauty of nature and the ocean, humility, and is highly rewarding.

Not everything works the way you want it to, and you don't need to buy all of the most expensive stuff to be successful. What matters is that you do what you want, you learn along the way, and you grow along with your tank.

Thanks for actually reading my thread! I know I can get long-winded with my typing; but I wanted to document my experience for not only myself to reference but others as well.

If I can be of any assistance or if you have any questions let me know. I'm no master expert, but I have learned a few things along the way I am glad to pass on.

Hey Pocket, I don't know if this might help, at least temporarily. I Have a Regular Fan (Stand Fan) Blowing directly at our Tank.

I also have the Feeding door thing on the top of the hood open. This is helping us for now with keeping temps from exceeding 84.

Last page of my tank build. Link is in my Sig.

Agreed; this will keep you from creeping into 85/86 land.

msparklym13

HI!! I was so excited to show you a few pics as promised- But I can't figure out how to upload them to my comment :-( !! ahhhh!! Super annoyed because I took a picture tonight! LOL

LeCharlesMuhDickens

HI!! I was so excited to show you a few pics as promised- But I can't figure out how to upload them to my comment :-( !! ahhhh!! Super annoyed because I took a picture tonight! LOL

Click "more reply options" and you'll see a place to upload and attach files.

Try the photobucket method. It's pretty easy, basically upload the photo you want to the photobucket. Then right click on the photo to get the image address (direct link for the picture).

Then come back to nano reef and in your reply, click the picture icon and paste the direct link. My he pcture nwill then show up in line with your text.

msparklym13

Yayyyy! thanks for showing me how to attach pictures!!

Here are two I took yesterday.... Slow and steady!! My LFS said my Coralline is coming in green. I have a large CUP and I have used my fingernail to try to scrape the rock- Doesn't budge! Any ideas?

Click "more reply options" and you'll see a place to upload and attach files.

Ah! Duh! Thank You :-)

post-90838-0-63234200-1460213439_thumb.jpg

post-90838-0-04252900-1460213464_thumb.jpg

fishfreak0114

Yayyyy! thanks for showing me how to attach pictures!!

Here are two I took yesterday.... Slow and steady!! My LFS said my Coralline is coming in green. I have a large CUP and I have used my fingernail to try to scrape the rock- Doesn't budge! Any ideas?

Ah! Duh! Thank You :-)

Tanks looking good! :). If you're referring to the coraline, you want that to grow. It is calcerous which is why your having difficulties scraping it off.

Tank looks nice so far! Keep it going!
The green is the start of the coralline Algae. Leave it alone and let it do its thing. It will turn purple eventually.

msparklym13

Thank you so much!!! I love reading all of the tips you pros have! It is really helpful. My LFS staff is really nice but sometimes they say "Sure why not" rather than "Noooo probably not a good idea." Hence the death of sand sifting star and huge Goby!

Thank you so much!!! I love reading all of the tips you pros have! It is really helpful. My LFS staff is really nice but sometimes they say "Sure why not" rather than "Noooo probably not a good idea." Hence the death of sand sifting star and huge Goby!

I'm no pro, but thank you.

Lots of LFS folks will oversell and I've definitely gotten into arguments.

This one guy who owned the place tried telling me dry/dead/base rock will never become live. I almost could not let that one go.

LeCharlesMuhDickens

I'm no pro, but thank you.

This one guy who owned the place tried telling me dry/dead/base rock will never become live. I almost could not let that one go.

A lot of them are like that, always trying to squeeze every dollar out of the customer. When you find one who doesn't try to sell you a thing but talks for an hour about livestock, you've got a good one.

Pocket_Tamales

Here are two I took yesterday.... Slow and steady!!

Looking great, Sparkly! Thanks for the pictures. What do you use for your cleanup crew?

A lot of them are like that, always trying to squeeze every dollar out of the customer. When you find one who doesn't try to sell you a thing but talks for an hour about livestock, you've got a good one.

So far I'm impressed with the employees at my lfs. Most of them keep tanks (probably half keep reefs.) I went to get some fish food to help cycle my tank. The cashier remembered when I got my tank, and asked (concerned) "you don't have fish, right?" That earned some points in my book!

Just a little bit of an update. Levels have been mild (no major spikes, but I can see ammonia decrease over a couple days after feeding) but I'm steadily feeding the tank. Nitrates are between 5 and 10ppm, pH is between 8.0-8.2. The tank has cooled off a bit; I have reduced lighting to a couple of hours a day to prevent algae going out of control.

Also found a new hitchhiker - I think an asterina starfish. I've read mixed opinions on these guys, but I think I'm going to go with an innocent-until-proving-guilty approach with them. If they get out of control or seem detrimental, out they go.

PMeR6CW.jpg

Also, finally moved the tank to it's stand (had to take the rocks out of water for 5-10 minutes. Kept them wet with water from the tank. not covering, just splashed on a few times and replaced that water with salt water. Maybe a 1% water change and I'm hoping this didn't push the cycle back too far.) Rearranged the rocks a little bit. It seems leaning rocks against the back is frowned upon. Hopefully since so little of the rock is actually touching the wall, there won't be too many dead spots. I've also rotated the rock on the left to allow more water/sand contact. Still kind of torn on what to do with the bubble pockets in the sand.

JZApsYY.jpg

Yejvl1R.jpg

CQ40xtB.jpg

msparklym13

Wow I think it looks beautiful!!! My rock is resting on the back also. Why is that not ok? I did it to ensure stability but if you have heard this isn't a good idea would love to know!

My CUC keeps growing. Honestly, my lights might be the problem. I have heard the lights on BC29 plus the LED strip might be too much. I don't want to hijack your thread with my issues so will maybe get the confidence to start my own!

As of now I have- 1 Turbo (thinking I need another), 6 hermit crabs, 1 Conch snail (My FAVE), 5 snails and 1 shrimp. I know you might inquire as to what of each- I know my hermit crabs are the red legged variety. My snails were part of the CUC group my LFS gave me. Should have asked but they are alive and eating.

msparklym13

You are so right! My store is amazing. They are so nice to me and spend a ton of time talking to me- Sometimes I think it might be lack of experience rather than wanting to sell me stuff. When I walk in the door they know my by name and the store is awesome but small- 5 employees tops. Two who have been with me since before I had my tank- The owner is AWESOME- I just don't see him often. When I do I am like a dorky fan following him around LOL It is definitely a local shop but they are nice. Also I bring them gifts from my job so maybe they like me more!! ahahahahha Thanks so much for responding!

LeCharlesMuhDickens

Looks good, have you checked into the fan mods to keep it cooler? A couple of PC fans and a power supply are all you need to retro fit so,e more circulation into the hood. It can be done super clean too if you do it right.

Wow I think it looks beautiful!!! My rock is resting on the back also. Why is that not ok? I did it to ensure stability but if you have heard this isn't a good idea would love to know!

My CUC keeps growing. Honestly, my lights might be the problem. I have heard the lights on BC29 plus the LED strip might be too much. I don't want to hijack your thread with my issues so will maybe get the confidence to start my own!

As of now I have- 1 Turbo (thinking I need another), 6 hermit crabs, 1 Conch snail (My FAVE), 5 snails and 1 shrimp. I know you might inquire as to what of each- I know my hermit crabs are the red legged variety. My snails were part of the CUC group my LFS gave me. Should have asked but they are alive and eating.

I've got a Biocube too and my rocks are against the wall just like you guys. The argument is that it kills flow and gives funk a place to build up but if you've got places for water and cuc to pass through, it doesn't matter IMO. Adding more flow if it creates a dead spot is simple enough. The main reason mine are that way is to prevent rock slides since the rocks aren't anchored together by anything more than gravity. Rock walls used to be a thing too strangely enough, there are still some amazing looking tanks with just rock walls.

Looks good, have you checked into the fan mods to keep it cooler? A couple of PC fans and a power supply are all you need to retro fit so,e more circulation into the hood. It can be done super clean too if you do it right.

I've got a Biocube too and my rocks are against the wall just like you guys. The argument is that it kills flow and gives funk a place to build up but if you've got places for water and cuc to pass through, it doesn't matter IMO. Adding more flow if it creates a dead spot is simple enough. The main reason mine are that way is to prevent rock slides since the rocks aren't anchored together by anything more than gravity. Rock walls used to be a thing too strangely enough, there are still some amazing looking tanks with just rock walls.

Yea it's okay to have some rock touching the wall. Just try not to layer your whole scape up the wall. If you need a few pieces to rest on the back to build the structure your fine. In some cases it will create a neat cave for your critters.

If you are having flow issues, you'll notice food/crap/junk piling up there. Ideally, your whole Sandbed should be relatively clean.

If you need more flow, which I would recommend for the biocube S; check out the Jebao wave maker. I know people say to get the MP series pumps, but honestly for the money the Jebao is pretty awesome. I run that as well as the Koralia 240 nano pump. All in a 14 gallon and my corals/fish all love it.

Looking great, Sparkly! Thanks for the pictures. What do you use for your cleanup crew?

So far I'm impressed with the employees at my lfs. Most of them keep tanks (probably half keep reefs.) I went to get some fish food to help cycle my tank. The cashier remembered when I got my tank, and asked (concerned) "you don't have fish, right?" That earned some points in my book!

Just a little bit of an update. Levels have been mild (no major spikes, but I can see ammonia decrease over a couple days after feeding) but I'm steadily feeding the tank. Nitrates are between 5 and 10ppm, pH is between 8.0-8.2. The tank has cooled off a bit; I have reduced lighting to a couple of hours a day to prevent algae going out of control.

Also found a new hitchhiker - I think an asterina starfish. I've read mixed opinions on these guys, but I think I'm going to go with an innocent-until-proving-guilty approach with them. If they get out of control or seem detrimental, out they go.

PMeR6CW.jpg

Also, finally moved the tank to it's stand (had to take the rocks out of water for 5-10 minutes. Kept them wet with water from the tank. not covering, just splashed on a few times and replaced that water with salt water. Maybe a 1% water change and I'm hoping this didn't push the cycle back too far.) Rearranged the rocks a little bit. It seems leaning rocks against the back is frowned upon. Hopefully since so little of the rock is actually touching the wall, there won't be too many dead spots. I've also rotated the rock on the left to allow more water/sand contact. Still kind of torn on what to do with the bubble pockets in the sand.

JZApsYY.jpg

Yejvl1R.jpg

CQ40xtB.jpg

Leave the bubble pockets alone! It's a critical part to building the tanks nitrification cycle!

+1 for patience. And a lot of it!!

I know it is hard for me sometimes to keep my hands out of the tank. Lol

Always wanting to rearrange rocks and corals.

Amen to that :unsure: Had to move some rock around the other day to clean sand of Cyano. Long story short, I am still not happy with how I replaced my coral :(

Pocket_Tamales

Day 17 of the cycle!

Things are looking pretty hairy! Going to let it run its course, I've read about people pulling the hair algae out but I'd rather not disturb anything. Nitrite and Nitrate are staying pretty close to constant:

-0 nitrite

-between 5-10 nitrate

-Ammonia is definitely spiking a bit after ghost feeding (highest reading was 2.0ppm after moving the tank/feeding), then falls within a few days.

I've also reduced my lights to 4 hours per day to discourage algae growth. I noticed when I keep the lights off for a couple days at a time that the purple on my upper rocks starts receding, and I didn't see as many pods floating around.

I still haven't seen more than just the one Asterina, but he survived the move and seemed well when I last saw him.

FBed9iK.jpg

IChbJBh.jpg

Wn5vwNo.jpg

JfLsnda.jpg

Patience!
Looking good :)

Amen to that :unsure: Had to move some rock around the other day to clean sand of Cyano. Long story short, I am still not happy with how I replaced my coral :(

Haha, I'm picking up on a theme here, guys. Something's telling me I should be patient ;)

I hear ya! Been there A LOT!

Damn it's hard to keep my hands dry!

Just cleaned (Gently) the Sponge type filter and refreshed (Changed) Carbon.

Earlier this morn, once again *sigh*, moved the offending Coral again. It is a Medium sized Zoanthid Colony. Rather pretty, but the particular Zoanthid "Polyps" that I really like "POP"!!! Bright when the Lights go out and are under the "Moon Light".

When moving this Medium frag, 2 small polyps broke off. (Intact). I Placed them on the rock near the colony, only to have the flow blow them off, nor I can't find them. :unsure::o:blink::wacko:

Damn it's hard to keep my hands dry!

Just cleaned (Gently) the Sponge type filter and refreshed (Changed) Carbon.

Earlier this morn, once again *sigh*, moved the offending Coral again. It is a Medium sized Zoanthid Colony. Rather pretty, but the particular Zoanthid "Polyps" that I really like "POP"!!! Bright when the Lights go out and are under the "Moon Light".

When moving this Medium frag, 2 small polyps broke off. (Intact). I Placed them on the rock near the colony, only to have the flow blow them off, nor I can't find them. :unsure::o:blink::wacko:

Sweet I love Zoa frags! Glue that piece to a small piece of rock rubble and grow it out!

Archived