Coral Vue Hydros

A Shallow Reef

ml86743

That's a pretty robust bunch of fish! I bet that Nyos skimmer helps a lot with the bioload.

Yeah it does,I have to say that thing is finicky as hell tho... But it does the job :)
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

love your tank, choice of fish and corals! shallow is the best!

what's finicky about the Nyos?

Thanks so much!

The skimmer just hasn't reached its full potential yet, it will pull out gunk but other times it does nothing. The adjustments are a little too fine for me right now too. Also, after cleaning I basically had to redial the thing and that takes about two weeks. I try to leave the air open 100% but after a good cleaning it just overflows constantly. Weird stuff. I keep it at the recommended water level and its constant. You have a Nyos don't ya ? Any tips haha

Awesome. I love the jawfish and the elegance! Beautiful tank

Thanks so much man! Your tank has been such an inspiration, that means a lot.

Sorry for the lack of updates, been pretty busy. Will take some photos tmr!

I've been having issues with two of my encrusting montis, the infamous gray skin has appeared..with a side of low PE. Personally, I blame poor light acclimation. I've heard about low element counts for K and Iodine can have a share in the sudden loss of color..but the tanks pretty new and I think my WC routine keeps those supplemental ions stable. I suspect that poor light acclimation is the culprit because the two montis that are experiencing issues are from the same store in just about the same exact location. The lighting there was real high up and I doubt as intense as my LEDS. Not sure how long it takes to burn out a coral..but at first they were colored up nice. Alas, I've ordered the Sailfret K kit from BRS aloong with one of their dual reactors. Pretty pumped about that. Reef-A-Polooza was awesome..i didnt go nuts but came home with three zoa frags, dendros(my favorite coral ever), and a pearlberry acro from Dr Jim! Very excited about these pieces.

Other than the montis everything seems to be doing well, the blue voodoo still wont color up for me but I'm not too worried, at this point in my SPS career I would like to just see some success as far as growth goes:) Found a couple Aptaisia that will soon be eliminated in the near future as well.

Ill make sure to take some pictures of they greying montis too.

Thanks for reading.

I have some PO4 showing up, maybe another cause for the monti's acting up. The reactor should help with that, going to run a GFO/carbon mix.

800 posts :) wooo

Since adding the reactor a running a phosguard/carbon mix the PO4 has dropped from .25 to around .03, I'd like to sit there for the remainder of thet tanks time. I haven't noticed any ill affects on any of the corals with the exception of the montipora. The two that were in bad shape look worse, and my cap and sunset are pale. But hoping for a rebound. I tested out my K and t was right at 400so I think I can rule a deficiency out for that, either poor light acclimation or the high PO4 is to blame.

My guess would be the combination of higher lighting and higher PO4 together. But who knows? I'm glad things are heading in the right direction, though. Fingers crossed for the montis :)

My guess would be the combination of higher lighting and higher PO4 together. But who knows? I'm glad things are heading in the right direction, though. Fingers crossed for the montis :)

Yeah that's exactly what I'm thinking. Light acclimation is something I never really took seriously but I honestly think that's 95% of the problem. The orange cap is looking a little washed out along with the previous two. I bet after the recent reduction in PO4 it's causing the sudden reaction. The other two aren't really doing well unfortunately. It's funny, the acros I have are doing pretty well. We're getting there, it's all a learning process and the only direction is up haha. I'm just trying to not psych myself out too much and start changing things left and right. I also tested out K again and it's still at 400ppm. So I think I can rule out that for the color loss explanation. PO4 hasn't dropped since yesterday, my plan is to change it out next WC on weds.

Wow.. fantastic setup.. the corals look amazing..

Thank you so much! Just trying to take my time to get where I want the tank to be

I love your setup! That Helfrichi is making me want one!

Thank you! It's such a peaceful and beautiful fish, I didn't mind paying the extra cash to have such a beauty.

I've had my monticaps lose color overnight for no apparent reason too. As far as I could tell, it was probably due to changing lighting and not acclimating enough. So that might be what happened. Mine bounced back in a couple weeks so hopefully yours will too!

I've had my monticaps lose color overnight for no apparent reason too. As far as I could tell, it was probably due to changing lighting and not acclimating enough. So that might be what happened. Mine bounced back in a couple weeks so hopefully yours will too!

Well that's good to hear! Just have to wait and see what happens.

FTS (You can clearly see the greying cap)

ySgVQO1.jpg

New Tricolor thats showing some purple!

CMjikcL.jpg

Zooooaz

DY8ISZR.jpg

Sad Cap:(

Z1UqtZM.jpg

Mile doing great!

DVYOI6Q.jpg

Dendro!

jqI4y06.jpg

Sorry for the poor image quality, didnt break out the stand or anything.

So as you can see from that cap, thats pretty much exactly what the other two encrusting montis are doing. Though, I feel like I'm seeing a slight comback in the green one...maybe...We'll see

It's hard to say for sure from the pictures, but it looks pretty similar to what happened to mine. It took about a week to see the first signs of recovery, two weeks to be able to say for sure that they were going to be fine, and about three or fours weeks to full recovery.

In my case, I had green montis that turned yellow/brown.

It's hard to say for sure from the pictures, but it looks pretty similar to what happened to mine. It took about a week to see the first signs of recovery, two weeks to be able to say for sure that they were going to be fine, and about three or fours weeks to full recovery.

In my case, I had green montis that turned yellow/brown.

Hopefully I'll have the same luck! I just feel so bad:( just want them to be happy haha! Well keep rolling though, all that you can do sometimes! By the way happy 4th everybody!

I'm pleased with the health of my acros though, the pearl berry I recently picked up is looking really nice along with that mile pictured above. It's hard to see with the polyps but the mile is developing a really nice deep green clot around each stalk! It's popping out little shoots so that's always a good sign, thinking back that particular coral was in extremely high light at the LFS.

I've defiantly learned from my shortcomings and how important proper acclimation to a new light is crucial, especially SPS. Always learning!

Happy Reefing!

So I think the orange cap looks a little better, I'm seeing some more PE on the rainbow monti...but they have some alga growing on the skeleton so I'm just blowing it off at night.

In other news, my moms favorite fish is the firefish (shes very attached). We always go back and forth about the MP10 has too much flow for the firefish, fair enough. So she went out and picked up another jawfish apartment from petco for the little girl to sleep in at night. Personally I HATE the look of it right in the middle of the tank...but hey I think the fish is happier. Anyway, this morning I woke up to the small jawfish in the new apartment, carefully arranging and rearranging her new home...We currently have a third apartment in the tank, but this time is a decent sized conch shell from Micheal's. At least its natural! Gave that sucker a vinegar bath and boiled the s++t out of it. Doesnt look half bad, some zoaz would look really nice all grown in.

Let me let you guys into my fish tank life...

Over the past few weeks I've noticed a decrease in the health of my corals.

Lets start with what we know. Three weeks ago today I added the reactor with less than half the recommended amount of phosguard and 1 cup of carbon. Over those three weeks the PO4 has dropped from 0.25 to 0.03 according to Salifret. Ive changed media twice since then, keeping 75% of the old media and replacing 25% new. The PO4 change has been slow and gradual, I always rinse and then run 5 gallons through the line into the WC bucket. I test alk everyday and its at 8.4-9.0 DKh no more, no less. Ca is 460, MG is 1440. So with the addition of the reactor I've successfully lowered PO4, but slowly so I wouldnt think there would be this drastic of an effect on corals. Another idea , I've been running carbon since day one, in a media bag..but I've noticed an increase in water clarity after the addition of the reactor=more light penetration. Problem? Maybe its stripping the water of elements because of increased efficiency?

I have zoas clinched up, SPS STNin, and my elegance has bailed out on tiny spot on the left side, but has not continued. Hopefully its a fluke...I was almost in tears when I saw that haha.

All other LPS are healthy, and the toadstool is doing great. Any remaining SPS are brown and sick or have tip burn. Acans are very healthy, which is nice to see considering i had no luck in IM40. Ricordea are doing great. The carpet nems and BTA are thriving as well.

Alveopora is doing well.

Things to note:

I cut out the xenia growing on the back left rock, outside of the tank, and since then that patch of zoas has not opened up. So maybe the changes in water plus disturbing them has caused them the begin shrinking...i dont know.

All new zoas I got at RAP are doing well plus the bams bams on the center rock, those are all new to this tank and did NOT transfer over. The only healthy zoas from the old tank OF COURSE are the ugly brown and green ones haha! Just my luck.

Fishes are happy does:)

This is the most important thing I keep reminding myself....

THE TANKS ONLY 4 MONTHS OLD! It is most certainly still establishing a proper biological filter and ironing out all the stops. I think I overloaded the system...I should have not added anything else after the transfer because that was a HUGE bioload right from the get go..

Thats my tank life right now:) to embarrassed to take photos haha

Lemme know what challl think!

• 4 months later...

Just read through your thread. This tank is so nice! How's it doing now? I hope it's better :)

Hey man I appreciate that a lot! I lost the majority of my corals unfortunately. But there's a few still kickin, on the other hand the fish are doing wonderfully! Ill get a shot of the tank in its current state when I get home for winter break!

fishfreak0114

Do you find it hard to maintain your tank while going to college? When it's my time to go I'm definitely gonna try and take it with me, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to find a place to live that will allow fish tanks. And I worry I won't have the time to devote to it that it deserves.

Do you find it hard to maintain your tank while going to college? When it's my time to go I'm definitely gonna try and take it with me, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to find a place to live that will allow fish tanks. And I worry I won't have the time to devote to it that it deserves.

No I don't, and I'm very fortunate that my mother began to enjoy the hobby as much as myself. She does an excellent job herself...from WC's to dosing. I wish I had a tank down here in FL...I have a nice Mr Aqua 11 gallon that was gonna be the apartment tank! BUT I'm a broke a**college student...and having a tank down her would absolutely stress the wallet...so hard to resist nice frags:)

Archived