SaltCritters.com

Angeles' 29 Cube!

Angeles

Lol I just noticed those space monsters and how you got them. Don't you just love shopping around and spotting a beautiful gem listed as "assorted coral frags" or something like that. Picked up 10 heads of utter chaos the other day for $50 listed as "ultra palys". Good times!

Haha yeah. Sometimes it pays off the know what things actually are. That's an amazing price!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha yeah. Sometimes it pays off the know what things actually are. That's an amazing price!

Whats the old saying? The more you know! lol. I hit up each of my LFS's at at least once a month just to see what they have. The owners usually know what they get but I always look for corals that have been traded in, are damaged, or are not looking good. You never know what you will get!

I haven't posted in a few days, only because I've been really busy. I thought I would give everyone a quick update. So I installed the RKL, Tunze Osmolator, and the dosing pumps. The only complaint I have for BRS is that one of the dosing pumps doesn't work. :( I'm going to call them and order a new one, and it should be fine. Also, I have a ton of stray cords coming out from the back. Any ideas for organizing those?

unxpmKR.jpg

As you can see, I did a little bit of duct tape, but I would prefer a permanent solution.

The NanoBox is supposed to be delivered today. I'll post pics when I get it!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm sorry I haven't posted in a while, I haven't had any time. My life has been hard lately lol. So recently everything was doing great, so I put in an order for some easy sps from cultivated reef. Since then, I saw the peppermint shrimp tugging at the mouth of my RFA. It has been really small, and It only unfolded enough for me to see it's mouth for the first time today. Any ideas? Will it be okay?

Also, this super fast growing stringy brown algae started growing everywhere. It isn't that dense and grows like long stringy brown hairs in the flow. It's also on the glass and sand, but on the sand it's more of a spider-web like film. I siphoned the sand, scrubbed the glass, and blew of all the corals that the strings caught on, in my water change. My mind goes to dinos but I don't see any air bubbles and the strings are really long and thin. Any ideas what I should do?

Also, I changed out the filter materials and now I'm running chemi pure blue and perigean in my basket, this should help with the phosphates and nitrates. The corals from cultivated reef came today, and I'll se how spa does in my tank. My nano box is set for them.

I got

-green slimer

-red robin stag

-superman monti

-la lakers monti

-green procilopora

-blue and red stylo

-ORA bird of paradise.

I need help and ideas for the RFA and the algae! Thanks!

I have never had dinos but it sounds like with the chemipure you are on the right track. I think I would shorten your light phase some too and try to increase your water changes and see if that helps. And with each water change remove as much manually as possible.

I have never had dinos but it sounds like with the chemipure you are on the right track. I think I would shorten your light phase some too and try to increase your water changes and see if that helps. And with each water change remove as much manually as possible.

That's what I'm going to try. I put my light phase to 10 hrs, might go down more. I am keeping an eye on it and removing as much as possible. The thing is the clumps on the sand are too heavy for the siphon to catch so they just get buried. I'm thinking about trying to sift them out or something. I'll pick out the biggies with my hands. I doubt it's dines, though, that's probably worst case scenario. If it gets bad enough, I can always throw a light and some chaeto in my fuge basket to help.

Yep...it was just in it's shedding phase :).

Hi! I had a question for ya about the leather. As you can see, its up on the top rock. It takes up a lot of space, and some of the spa I got are getting crowded up there! Do you think I could move it to the rock on the left of the tank at the kind of "stair" just below the top rock? I have the nano box now set to the settings for spa corals, so there's pretty high lighting. Do you think this would be ok, or is there any spa that would be better there? (List of what I got above, birds nest came roughed up might not make it)

Hi! I had a question for ya about the leather. As you can see, its up on the top rock. It takes up a lot of space, and some of the spa I got are getting crowded up there! Do you think I could move it to the rock on the left of the tank at the kind of "stair" just below the top rock? I have the nano box now set to the settings for spa corals, so there's pretty high lighting. Do you think this would be ok, or is there any spa that would be better there? (List of what I got above, birds nest came roughed up might not make it)

I think you'd be totally fine moving it there. I would keep any SPS up at the top. The leather doesn't need as high of lighting as the SPS :). Take a new FTS with the new corals when you get a chance :).
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys,

So i have been taking some time off from nr to let things grow out and adapt. The tank is looking amazing, despite some minor algae problems likely a result of the NB LEDs. I'll post pics soon enough!

Archived