ReefCleaners.org

Six's 2.25 pico

Six

Hey y'all! I'm baaaaaaack!

I was pretty active here at NR back in the day. Then I went to grad school. Well, I'm STILL in grad school at Texas A&M... for another year or two. My interest in aquariums actually lead to my PhD research where I now study science as a leisure activity! Aquarists learn science through this awesome leisure activity, right? Biology, chemistry, physics, and more! So I am studying aquarium keeping and its ability to promote scientific thinking and conservation mindedness. Actually, I won the graduate student scholarship from the Marine Aquarium Society of North America last year (2015). THANK YOU SPONSORS! And please support them if you can! Drs Foster and Smith, Liveaquaria, Ecotech, and Seachem.

Anyway, that's besides the point.

I was challenged by a friend on Twitter to create a pico tank for the #tinytankchallenge. The idea is that we create a pico system under 5.5g which costs, total, less than $100. Luckily I've saved a lot by using used equipment but I think I've already busted my $100 challenge!

I'm using a cube tank I found on the side of the road. It's 8x8x8 inches and about 2.5g. I've been trying to figure out how to light it and filter it as well as what livestock I want to keep. My husband is an awesome aquarium plumber so he agreed to drill the tank. Since I've already busted my challenge, I'm going to plumb it to a 10g sump. I've always wanted to be ridiculous and have a tiny tank and big sump, so now is my time! I've been shopping and I'm already irritated with the limitations... but I'm interested in learning how to keep a small display (and the science/tech involved) so I'm going to deal with the 2.25g limits.

Here's what I have so far:

2.25g glass cube: cost $0.00

Marshall Island 4+# live rock: $12.99/# = $52 (from Fish R Us near Houston)

14W PAR30 LED 18K bulb = $59.99

Live sand 1#: $5

I have a 10g, return pump, and the majority of the plumbing laying around or available through friends. I'll update as I get it. I kinda sorta should have plumbed the tank before getting the liverock, but I have a 10g up and running for curing it/checking it out.

As for livestock, the tank is not covered so I'm really leery about getting a fish. The only fish I'm interested in are a goby/pistol shrimp pair or dwarf seahorses (Hippocampus zosterae) or a Gulf signal blenny. I'm also interested in trying a group of sexy shrimp (so adorable and sexy!).

05a21c41e78585e1633e5f3805e503e1.jpg

Gulf Signal Blenny (Emblemaria hypacanthus)

As for coral, It's hard! I wanted to do a "pure" tank or species only coral tank; specifically an elephant ear mushroom! But, I think that's too limited and I'm going to get bored really fast. I'm leaning towards LPS, easy SPS (birdsnest; suggest some!), and softies. The liverock will probably be cut and formed into a seamount in the middle of the tank and have coral attached around it.

So there's the preliminary plan! I'd LOVE to hear more from y'all about livestock suggestions, especially a clean up crew! And if you're familiar with east Texas, I love hitting up aquarium stores. My favs are Aqua Dome in Austin and Fish R Us in Houston. But, I haven't been back in SW for long so I'm sure there are plenty of other options! And fish clubs.

Thanks for reading!

Liz

post-12431-0-06305000-1453521603_thumb.jpg

Looks interesting! I love the look of the Gulf Signal Blenny, and as for coral candy canes are cheap for your budget and grow nicely. Birdsnest too. You could get some mushrooms/leathers in there. Acans? The goby-pistol shrimp pair is fantastic. I have a pair in my 29g, and its a great bit of personality and life.

Congrats on the scholarship and welcome back :) Love the idea for this and can't wait to see the build. I've actually always wanted to do a tiny tank like this with a large sump too! I figured I was the only one =P

I saw someone's write up on breeding sexy shrimp and I kind of want to try!

Congrats on the scholarship and welcome back :) Love the idea for this and can't wait to see the build. I've actually always wanted to do a tiny tank like this with a large sump too! I figured I was the only one =P

Thank you! I got to go to MACNA too and it was AWESOME, Highly recommend going!

I also want to make the tank movable, specifically, I want it to spin in a circle. Thinking I could drill the middle bottom, set it on a lazy Susan and figure out how to plumb it. Might not be possible. Have any of you seen a tank that spins?

Thanks for following along!

Looks interesting! I love the look of the Gulf Signal Blenny, and as for coral candy canes are cheap for your budget and grow nicely. Birdsnest too. You could get some mushrooms/leathers in there. Acans? The goby-pistol shrimp pair is fantastic. I have a pair in my 29g, and its a great bit of personality and life.

I have been oogling cyphastrea, acans, zoas, and easy sps. I do like some mushrooms too but I don't want them to take over too much.

Hey y'all! I'm baaaaaaack!

I was pretty active here at NR back in the day. Then I went to grad school. Well, I'm STILL in grad school at Texas A&M... for another year or two. My interest in aquariums actually lead to my PhD research where I now study science as a leisure activity! Aquarists learn science through this awesome leisure activity, right? Biology, chemistry, physics, and more! So I am studying aquarium keeping and its ability to promote scientific thinking and conservation mindedness. Actually, I won the graduate student scholarship from the Marine Aquarium Society of North America last year (2015). THANK YOU SPONSORS! And please support them if you can! Drs Foster and Smith, Liveaquaria, Ecotech, and Seachem.

Anyway, that's besides the point.

I was challenged by a friend on Twitter to create a pico tank for the #tinytankchallenge. The idea is that we create a pico system under 5.5g which costs, total, less than $100. Luckily I've saved a lot by using used equipment but I think I've already busted my $100 challenge!

I'm using a cube tank I found on the side of the road. It's 8x8x8 inches and about 2.5g. I've been trying to figure out how to light it and filter it as well as what livestock I want to keep. My husband is an awesome aquarium plumber so he agreed to drill the tank. Since I've already busted my challenge, I'm going to plumb it to a 10g sump. I've always wanted to be ridiculous and have a tiny tank and big sump, so now is my time! I've been shopping and I'm already irritated with the limitations... but I'm interested in learning how to keep a small display (and the science/tech involved) so I'm going to deal with the 2.25g limits.

Here's what I have so far:

2.25g glass cube: cost $0.00

Marshall Island 4+# live rock: $12.99/# = $52 (from Fish R Us near Houston)

14W PAR30 LED 18K bulb = $59.99

Live sand 1#: $5

I have a 10g, return pump, and the majority of the plumbing laying around or available through friends. I'll update as I get it. I kinda sorta should have plumbed the tank before getting the liverock, but I have a 10g up and running for curing it/checking it out.

As for livestock, the tank is not covered so I'm really leery about getting a fish. The only fish I'm interested in are a goby/pistol shrimp pair or dwarf seahorses (Hippocampus zosterae) or a Gulf signal blenny. I'm also interested in trying a group of sexy shrimp (so adorable and sexy!).

05a21c41e78585e1633e5f3805e503e1.jpg

Gulf Signal Blenny (Emblemaria hypacanthus)

As for coral, It's hard! I wanted to do a "pure" tank or species only coral tank; specifically an elephant ear mushroom! But, I think that's too limited and I'm going to get bored really fast. I'm leaning towards LPS, easy SPS (birdsnest; suggest some!), and softies. The liverock will probably be cut and formed into a seamount in the middle of the tank and have coral attached around it.

So there's the preliminary plan! I'd LOVE to hear more from y'all about livestock suggestions, especially a clean up crew! And if you're familiar with east Texas, I love hitting up aquarium stores. My favs are Aqua Dome in Austin and Fish R Us in Houston. But, I haven't been back in SW for long so I'm sure there are plenty of other options! And fish clubs.

Thanks for reading!

Liz

Yeah! More 2.5's! I am currently working on a 2.5 aio as well. If you decide to go with the dwarf ponies (Hippocampus zosterae) just be aware that it will be exponentially more work than a simple goby/pistol pair.

On another note though it looks like yasha high fin gobies are now in season though. One of those bad boys with a candy cane pistol shrimp would look awesome.

Also what part of East Texas? I am currently in Dallas and could recommend some great LFS's if your nearby.

You got me interested! I'm in corpus right on the gulf! Where the hell can find those blennies lol!

I kinda want to catch my own! Looks like they're in the Gulf of California: http://fishbase.org/summary/Emblemaria-hypacanthus.html

That's awesome, I want to toto MACNA at least once :)

And lol, I think a spinning tank would be pretty damn cool!

you should go! It was amazing. I just priced it and it is pretty expensive :/ $129/pass plus hotel for $134/night. Doesn;t include banquets ($60 and $85). Not a cheap hobby!

Also, I rethought about the spinning tank and it would just be a major hassle. Looks like I'm sticking with static! :P

Yeah! More 2.5's! I am currently working on a 2.5 aio as well. If you decide to go with the dwarf ponies (Hippocampus zosterae) just be aware that it will be exponentially more work than a simple goby/pistol pair.

On another note though it looks like yasha high fin gobies are now in season though. One of those bad boys with a candy cane pistol shrimp would look awesome.

Also what part of East Texas? I am currently in Dallas and could recommend some great LFS's if your nearby.

My friend works in a lab that studies the zosterae. I fell in love with the species! Adorable! But yeah.... may be too much work for me. I helped her collect them in Port Aransas, Texas; unfortunately, I can't collect without a permit and I have no idea where I would start with that! I guess I could ask... But... I'm leaning towards a goby/ goby pistol pair. A bit concerned for the goby since it will be open top. I think maybe a "fat" goby, like a gumdrop, would do better. They kind of look like little anglers too. teehee.

Gum%20Drop%20Goby%20M8339.jpg

I kinda want to catch my own! Looks like they're in the Gulf of California: http://fishbase.org/summary/Emblemaria-hypacanthus.html

you should go! It was amazing. I just priced it and it is pretty expensive :/ $129/pass plus hotel for $134/night. Doesn;t include banquets ($60 and $85). Not a cheap hobby!

Also, I rethought about the spinning tank and it would just be a major hassle. Looks like I'm sticking with static! :P

My friend works in a lab that studies the zosterae. I fell in love with the species! Adorable! But yeah.... may be too much work for me. I helped her collect them in Port Aransas, Texas; unfortunately, I can't collect without a permit and I have no idea where I would start with that! I guess I could ask... But... I'm leaning towards a goby/ goby pistol pair. A bit concerned for the goby since it will be open top. I think maybe a "fat" goby, like a gumdrop, would do better. They kind of look like little anglers too. teehee.

Gum%20Drop%20Goby%20M8339.jpg

Haha yeah they do. Yeah your probably right about that goby without the top. If they are bonded with a pistol and don't have anyone else messing with them they should be fine (famous last words). My old high fin jumped because my midas wanted his spot. Sad days.

Be sure to post some more pics though! I didn't believe that was 2.5g when I first saw it. That looks like one of those nuvo 10's almost. I'm interested to see how you filter it.

OMG, I can't believe you're back, HOORAAAAAAY!!!!

I actually did miss this awesome community!

Haha yeah they do. Yeah your probably right about that goby without the top. If they are bonded with a pistol and don't have anyone else messing with them they should be fine (famous last words). My old high fin jumped because my midas wanted his spot. Sad days.

Be sure to post some more pics though! I didn't believe that was 2.5g when I first saw it. That looks like one of those nuvo 10's almost. I'm interested to see how you filter it.

I'm pretty sure it's a homemade tank but I don't know!

We are going to drill it today and put in a 3/4" bulkhead for the overflow. I was going to build a false wall and the a filter box but I'm opting for just the strainer and an elbow to adjust the height of the water. Then the water will flow down into the 10g sump. From there I think I'll make some baffles and on the other side of the sump I'll have the return. I'll have some LR in the sump and probably make it a fuge. I'll see if I can post my drawings/plans.

I actually did miss this awesome community!

I'm pretty sure it's a homemade tank but I don't know!

We are going to drill it today and put in a 3/4" bulkhead for the overflow. I was going to build a false wall and the a filter box but I'm opting for just the strainer and an elbow to adjust the height of the water. Then the water will flow down into the 10g sump. From there I think I'll make some baffles and on the other side of the sump I'll have the return. I'll have some LR in the sump and probably make it a fuge. I'll see if I can post my drawings/plans.

Sounds like a plan. For sure get some pictures up of the plans and progress. I am all about DIY!

• 2 weeks later...

Update time!

Still collecting what I need to run a marine aquarium; recently got filter socks, test kits, and more plumbing. I have a 10g tank running now that is holding the LR (I got a cucumber!) and LS. Looking forward to scaping the pico!

Also, I decided to go big or go home so I asked my husband if he was willing to make a stand for the pico and its 10g sump. He is an amazing woodworker and decided to make an ADA style stand for me! His inspiration was this:

15137d22d33fc6f91099f2a923793e00.jpg

Here's a few pics of his build:

https://goo.gl/photos/d3gfjguvpPGqfibQA

https://goo.gl/photos/qM5rgE9TVZ22tmRM9

I'll update once the door is hung and we drill the holes for plumbing.

Thanks for following!

• 1 month later...

Just found your thread! Update pls!!! :happy:

I have a Caribbean sailfin blenny that's pretty close to the gulf signal blenny. Got him from KP Aquatics and I just love him. One of the most interactive fish I've had, especially for something that small. Their "signals" are adorbs too.

• 1 month later...

image_zpsteoetgwt.jpeg

That's Yoyo Ma, the yuma. I call him "yoyomayuma" bc it's hilarious and fun to say.

Anyway, the tank has definitely had its ups and downs. I've accidentally left a kalkwasser ATO go twice, a week apart. The tank had precipitate everywhere, covering every single thing. Luckily I'm always mixing water and did a quick 50% wc. Luckily a 50% wc is only 5 gallons. Teehee. But the mystic sunset monti, blasto marletti, stolonocella (?), and macroalagae made it fine.

Going to get an ATO here soon. Not worth the trouble IMO! And I love DIY.

And the symposium has been a trooper. My zoas died a while ago. So did the birds nest after I bleached it, got it back, but then bleached it again. Rediculous. I'm better at less easy coral, I guess.

I want to do an Acro. I'm thinking a deep water type with small branches would looks sweet. Or long smooth polyps. Any suggestions for what might look good?

image_zpssippvorb.jpeg

image_zpsv75uogyj.jpeg

image_zpsdrzg8njd.jpeg

Elizabeth94

Is that an aluminum sculpture you have near the tank?

I have been waiting to make one for quite some time. I watched a youtube video where a guy poured molten aluminum into a tank full of those water beads. It made a sculpture similar to the one near your tank. However, yours could be aluminum foil?

Very pretty yuma you have there!

Yeah, we made an aluminum foundry to melt beer and soda cans in order to make casts of fire ant nests. They're highly invasive here and exceptionally painful, so we have tried to eradicate them from our yard. Pretty much worked! I can walk barefoot in our grass!

The sculpture next to the tank is one we made with the water beads. It turned out pretty neat, but no where as neat as the ant casts.

Thanks for the compliment on the yuma! I think I'm going with sexy shrimp for the tank, no fish, and hopefully the shrimp will "host" in Yoyo Ma.

And yeah, the tank has hidden compartments for water volume. Muhahahahaaaaaa! Interestingly, I've seen many nano tanks hat are the same... they technically don't qualify. I figured because of that, I could call mine a pico. Thoughts? I'm not offended or anything, just interested in how to delineate the name and size.

Elizabeth94

Neat! Must be fun to dig up the aluminum and see how they come out.

As far as the tank goes, not sure if I would call is a true "pico." However, no one can deny that the display is a pico ;) What kind of overflow are you using? Didn't see it in the posts, but I could be missing something.

Archived