ReefCleaners.org

Fishy!'s Temporary 10g Frag Tank

Fishy!

Well, on Boxing Day I ordered my Christmas present from my wife, a new custom tank upgrade from a builder about 8 hours away(build thread to be started soon). When in the process of ordering I decided that it would be beneficial to have them build me a frag tank as well, since i would be headed up there to pick up the new display. We will be making the drive in mid February, which seemed great. Gives me lots of time to plan and buy what pieces of equipment i will need to get this new beauty running. That was until I logged onto the Canada Corals boxing day sale..... $400 later it became an urgent necessity to have a frag tank to store all my new found goodies. Needless to say, the name of the game here was CHEAP and functional. This is just a quick build thread to show my "emergency" frag tank build.

Any advice/input is always appreciated

Equipment:

Tank:
Standard 10 Gallon 3 sides and bottom painted black.

Lighting: Halo Par38 Led with goose neck.

Filtration: Aquaclear 20 with PicO Aquariums surface skimmer attachment.
01/04/16: Live rock "media basket" added

Powerhead: TBD

Heater: Tronic 50w

Current FTS:

TgzUk8z.jpg

The Build:

12/28/15 - The 15 minute scrap lumber stand is built in between projects at work

btQrvix.jpg

12/29/15 - Tank is painted and dry. Light, filter and heater installed. Placed on 15 minute stand

MF5IRD1.jpg

ruV0Fo4.jpg

12/30/2015 - I picked up a piece of translucent black acrylic to try making a frag rack, when my efforts to find black eggcrate turned up fruitless. This was my first attempt at working with acrylic. I came to the conclusion that my single speed drill press is too slow, resulting in some not so crisp holes being drilled. I am sure that it could have been fixed with a good polish, but being a temporary thing I chose not to invest the time.

I2Cnowm.jpg

In the(Still dry) tank

BnilhPW.jpg

8VTibSc.jpg

12/31/15 - My current display gets a 5 gal water change which goes into the new frag tank with 5 gals of new water.

01/01/16 - I did a clean up of the frags off the sand bed of my display and moved them into the bare bottom of the frag tank while i wait for legs for the rack.

NoLqyI1.jpg

01/02/15 - I made some temporary legs out of 1" x 1/2" poly barbed reducers. These will likely be the legs that stay on this rack for this tank. Frags put on the rack.

TgzUk8z.jpg

28Q8hbz.jpg

01/04/16 - I decided i would like to have at least some biological filtration in this frag tank, so I made a call to my LFS to bag me up(in water) 2 pounds of live rock rubble. My wife was kind enough to pick this up for me in her travels today, while i was at work. On my way home i stopped at the dollar store and picked up a new "media basket" to hold my new bio filter.

4aBGXVv.jpg

AE6sa13.jpg

Cool idea with the LR in a basket. I'm just setting up a random 10g so will tag along :)

Thanks for hanging out Harry! Tomorrow should be exciting, as the big frag order was shipped this afternoon and should arrive tomorrow morning. I might have to break out the DSLR (not that i know how to use it!).

Well the big box of corals arrived today. One forsure doa and a couple on the fence. Will see if I can get the camera out tomorrow once everything has had a chance to settle in.

Love this small frag tank. It seems to be the perfect size to grow our a few corals until they get big enough to put in your display. What kind of frags did you order?

Quite a few actually.

In my display:

Pink poci

Maze brain

Large feather duster

3 X bumble bee snails

4 X tectus snails

1 X birds nest seriatopora

In the frag tank:

Orange echinaster starfish(to be moved to the display)

4 X acan corals 1 will not make it. Prob take it out in the morning

Red Monti digitata

Flowerpot alevopora prob go to the display

2 X favia

2 X war coral

1 X birds nest seriatopora

1 X tectus snail

Archived