Pod Your Reef

Hydor - Koralia Circulation and Wave Pump (240 gph) - Resolved with A+ CS

Sunstar

(If this is a duplicate I apologise I did not see a thread come up when I searched this form. if it is, please merge mine with it.)

Its a cute pump, but not a very nice pump. In a nutshell it is loud. I suppose I got what I paid for, 40 dollars (CDN) as opposed to the price of a vortech.

(Owned for one month)

What I like about it:

• The suction cups with magnets.

What I dislike about it: - Resolved. I was unaware that its axel pin was missing. Thanks Bulkrate!

• Says it has an anti vibration system - but vibrates like mad. It shakes!
  • It is very loud
  • does not keep direction well.
  • Takes up a huge amount of room in the tank.

Right now for me I have taken the product out to see what the balancing issue is with the propeller. it really strikes me as off balanced as the whole head shakes and vibrates. At night it is incredibly loud and needs to be shut off. I dislike airpumps because of sound and this thing drowns out the air pump.

I do worry that this sound will distress my livestock. it does distress me.

I feel as soon as I can save up money for a Vortech MP10, I will dump this into a mixing bucket where it will be more useful and less offensive. So if the only thing I have to say I like about it is the suction cups are nice, then this is not a nice product.

If you need to get one, buy from someone who is getting rid of it. I would recommend avoiding this product and just purchasing a good product from the outset.

Okay, so I made my complaint about their product today, I explained that it would cost me more to ship it back to where I got it and basically I would rather it have worked instead of needing a replacement. And that I will save my money for a different product.

5 back and forth emails later, they informed me that they will be shipping a replacement free of charge. That is good customer service. Very good.

• 4 weeks later...

But I have yet to receive a replacement. this thing quietened up, but when I decided to clean it up, its grinding like hell again. I am getting really cross.

Something is wrong with that powerhead... it's not just you. I'd look for chipped/bent fins on the impeller and make sure the steel "axle" is really seated in the cover's groove when you have it apart for cleaning or inspection.

I've had that same ph (Korolia Nano 240) on my 9 gallon for the past 4 years and it's been whisper quiet. Ive also never had it spin the wrong way. So either I got the Golden Hydor, or you got a lemon.

the cover's groove what do you mean?

the cover has this sort of peg sticking down. Not the one that goes into the core of the impeller, but almost like a guide.

Steel Axel... you mean like a rod that runs from the base trough the impeller and into the cover? If so, I might be lacking this useful bit...

Yep. that's the part.

I once left it out of mine when reassembling it post-cleaning and the powerhead made a huge racket. Steel peg goes into the center hole in the cover/front (friction fit) and extends down through the impeller to act as a guide.

I'd love to find a smaller form factor replacement but object to popping the money for a vortech only to run it at 10%. So for the money there isn't much better. The Tunze 6020/6040 might be an option but is still a brick of plastic slapped on the back of the tank.

Okay, so I made my complaint about their product today, I explained that it would cost me more to ship it back to where I got it and basically I would rather it have worked instead of needing a replacement. And that I will save my money for a different product.

5 back and forth emails later, they informed me that they will be shipping a replacement free of charge. That is good customer service. Very good.

Four weeks and no replacement? :(

I have had a Koralia 240 for a LONG time in my 75g, I think over 4 years and had no issues. However this was a freshwater tank and hence no salt creep or as much chemical abuse.

I have finally received it, the fault was not their end for the delay. It was Canada Post and their lack of delivery notification. Complaint has been lodged.

I just installed the new Koralia and its dead silent. they said htey'll send me a new pin for the one missing the axel. thanks guys.

Yep top notch Service. Canada Post WTF... My postie retired before christmas and he was amazing... I was spoiled. he knew to phone me....

I have finally received it, the fault was not their end for the delay. It was Canada Post and their lack of delivery notification. Complaint has been lodged.

I just installed the new Koralia and its dead silent. they said htey'll send me a new pin for the one missing the axel. thanks guys.

Yep top notch Service. Canada Post WTF... My postie retired before christmas and he was amazing... I was spoiled. he knew to phone me....

I'm glad it worked out in your favor totally :)

Archived