inTank Media Baskets

Macintosh Classic - pico reef

MarsRover

Thinking about putting a nitrate reactor on this guy. What do you all think? I might even convert my canister filter into one if i can find an easy way to do this. The tank requires little maintenance, pretty much nothing in the canister filter.... it's been so long since i last opened it i forget whats still in there...maybe a bag of phosguard and a couple little purigen blue bags. Any recommendations? My nitrates are always higher than i'd like....

Hey Mars,

What's the status of your tank and how is the sunsun canister treating you? I am considering putting one on my shallow tank in the near future. Let me know. thanks.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Mars,

What's the status of your tank and how is the sunsun canister treating you? I am considering putting one on my shallow tank in the near future. Let me know. thanks.

Hey Tuff,

I left the country for about a week, returned last monday. But just before i left (litterally the morning of my flight.....thankfully it was late in the afternoon) my sunsun motor crapped out on me. I turned it off to feed the tank for an hour or two and it just never came back on. looks like the impeller seized. Other than that, it was fantastic. In a panic, i took the clear apa canister i got off the internet (see page two...) to the LFS and we coudln't rig anything up fast enough. So i ended up purchasing a ZOO Med Turtle clean 511 external canister filter, gutted it except for the pump of course, and replaced it with everything i had inside my sunsun. Has been working great.

Few comments:

the sun sun is a HUGE pain in the ass to work with in terms of disconnecting it from the tank to clean it out. I never thought there was any other option as most canisters in my experience (from about 10 years ago when i was a teen working in the trade) were like this. Then I got this turtle thing and its pretty sweet. Heres why it works for me: 1, the tube in/out style is exactly what fit the piping that was already integrated into my tank. There is only a small cuttout in the top/bank of the Mac casing and so most traditional filters won't fit/work right with my application. This was all done to preserve the Mac computer look. Secondly, the part of the turtle filter that the tubes go in/out of is a small twist off lid. Thus, no more disconnecting the hoses via the screw/clamp thingys. Just give a twist and the little lid connector on the pump comes off and the whole pump can easily be moved to the sink.

The one thing i wasn't ready for but it seems to be working just fine is that the pump on this turtle thing is much stronger than the sun sun.

Another plus of the turtle thing is it hold significantly more water volume than the sun sun. so with the stronger pump, you can store this pump farther outofsight and still get good flow to your tank.

Thats my 2 cents. I'll post a pic of the tank soon.

• 3 months later...

Just looked through this thread after reading your 40 build. Am I missing something, or is there a blenny in a 3g?

There was a baby blenny in this 3g. I have since removed him and given him to a friend.

Archived