ReefCleaners.org

My First (DIY 10 gal. AIO) Nano Reef

aj.solis

Hey Everyone, quick background. I've been doing freshwater for almost a year now and love my African cichlids but knew it wouldn't be long till I got the bug for saltwater. I began researching and looking up ideas for diy aio nano tanks with the goal of putting it in my office at work. The more I researched the more I found ideas on nano reefs and started falling in love. So now I got the bug as they say and have just finished putting together my first tank.

The Tank is a 10 gal that I got at Petco for a $1 a gal. Bought some Acrylic cut to size and installed allowing for 3 filter compartments. The Plan is for 1st compartment to be for floss and media, 2nd for a refugium where I'll have live rock or Chaeto, and 3rd for return pump.

This is my first nano reef and tank build. Would like thoughts on my design and what filter media I should run?

post-89902-0-26178300-1450280941_thumb.jpg

post-89902-0-77446900-1450280941_thumb.jpg

post-89902-0-13936900-1450280942_thumb.jpg

gulfsurfer101

Very nice! I would run some purigen and chemipure elite blue in the media area. Phosguard possibly as well. What are your lighting plans? I think a nanobox or prime would do the job nicely!

Nice little setup! Great start. Floss and chemipure blue nano is all I run in my AIO 10 gallon. I'll eventually add a skimmer. Not necessary, just keep up on weekly water changes. Once your tank establishes and you add a decent amount of corals, you would benefit from a skimmer.

That's very nice. Do your baffles go all the way top to bottom, also are you planning on building a tray for your floss and whatever else you plan on keeping in chamber 1.

Nice silicone job! I always make a mess with that stuff. Fishyj pointed out something I didn't catch, If the first baffle doesn't have an opening at the bottom, and is siliconed to the bottom of the tank I would be worried that the flow in the second chamber would be too low.

I'll have to add some more pics but they have holes drilled into the bottom of one and the top of other. I actually had it up and running doing water test last night. But the pump would empty the water out of 3rd chamber. Realized quickly that I didn't put enough holes on the baffles to accommodate the 200 gph pump. So had to tear it down clean all the silicone off drill more holes and re-silicone. Was able to redo it all between last night and early this morning before work. It is now curating for 48hrs.

Nice silicone job! I always make a mess with that stuff. Fishyj pointed out something I didn't catch, If the first baffle doesn't have an opening at the bottom, and is siliconed to the bottom of the tank I would be worried that the flow in the second chamber would be too low.

Here are a few pictures of the baffles. When I make another one I'm definitely going to do baffles differently.

post-89902-0-06367100-1450300145_thumb.jpg

post-89902-0-84711300-1450300155_thumb.jpg

Interesting idea. The only thing that may get me worried is if something starts to grow in the back chambers and blocks/restricts the flow. You may need to scrub those holes that are submerged just to make sure nothing is growing on the glass.

I'm only planning on doing some soft coral but not sure yet. If I do soft corals I'll use some par38s.

I started my 10g aio two months ago, and when I was setting up I had the Par 38 from Coral Compulsion on order, but after adding a dimmer and a decent looking lamp to hold the bulb (was even thinking about hardwiring on a timer switch), I got too close in cost to the nanobox. Needless to say, I cancelled the Pars and bit the bullet on the nanobox. Loving it. Good luck with this build. Look forward to following~

Here are a few pictures of the baffles. When I make another one I'm definitely going to do baffles differently.

I dont' have the know-how to comment anything other than I really like what you're working with here.

post-89740-0-56088600-1450372737_thumb.jpg

I would love to have a nano box they look amazing. I'm trying to do this build on a small budget tho. I already have cichlid tanks and when I told my wife I was going to do a saltwater all she could say was they are so expensive and hard to keep and that all the fish would die at first. Lol she just going off what others have told her. So I told her I could keep it cheap.

Cost so far

Tank $0 (already had but would be $10 from petco)

Acrylic $18 (was 7 before shipping)

Pump $7 (it's a 200gph sun sun pump. I know not good but needed cheap and they have done well for my freshwater)

Silicone $5

Total so far $40 if I include cost of tank

Still need media, live rock (know lfs well and am getting it $2 a lb), sand and lighting. Ooo and of course livestock

Place called Mr. Plastic. I live in Northwest Arkansas and they had one here in town but It closed down so had to get it at another one of their stores 2 hrs away. If there is one in your town they don't charge for cut to size or shipping. Only have stores in AR though.

Here is link to website. http://mrplastic.us

That, my friend, is balling on a budget.

images%201_zpsidxonv7q.jpeg

Yeah no joke but it's killing me cuz I would love to get the quality stuff. I know it will bite me in the rear later. But like you said might just bite the bullet and spend the money on some good lights.

Update:

Finally got it together after taking it apart a second time to adjust some things. I cut my overflow teeth lower buy half and inch. Each one is a quarter inch wide and it is 1 1/2 inches tall. Each half in gap at an inch tall allows for 50gph. And I also did alway with holes on second baffle to the pump was causing to many bubbles.

Filled up and did water test and it's running great. Now ready for sand and live rock.

post-89902-0-94877400-1450561656_thumb.jpeg

post-89902-0-37782900-1450561672_thumb.jpeg

post-89902-0-39019700-1450561722_thumb.jpeg

post-89902-0-86885900-1450561738_thumb.jpeg

post-89902-0-35661200-1450561783_thumb.jpeg

Looking good, nice work with the acrylic. Do you plan on having fish? Definitely following.

Definitely will be. Probably a pair of clowns.

What would you suggest?

fishfreak0114

Definitely will be. Probably a pair of clowns.

What would you suggest?

Ocellaris clowns are good, mine have great personality. They might be a little cramped once they're full grown though. A tailspot blenny would also be a good choice. Or a goby/shrimp pair with one other relatively small fish?

Check out teenyreef's tanks. It's amazing what you can have in a small tank done well

Teenyreef's tank is awesome and I am now following. That tank has come a long way since its birth.

Here's a dumb q for you....do you plan on painting the "sump" area glass, black, to reduce algae build up?

Yes and no. I will be getting some black abs plastic that will mount on the outside of tank on lips so I can take it on and off but will darken it out. Will be growing chaeto in refugium so not sure if I want light above refugium or against back glass. Will post pic of an example so you can see how I will mount plastic.

Archived