Cultivated Reef

Garden Eel Room - Stocking begins!

dingusplease

Needs a photo dump!

Sorry, no idea on the sand. Maybe you should start a thread on it to get more attention?

Here are the photos! will check around for the sand some more, might start a thread.

I'd be worried about that sand being too rough. Look into Oolitic (sp) sand. A good brand will have nearly spherical grains

pi39-24a.jpg

Thanks, looks good, but maybe too small? Could be perfect, I'll look into where to buy some, if i can find a good brand.

Update #5: It's all photos omgomgomg

post-83918-0-27453700-1448847487_thumb.jpg

New LEDs... second panel coming in mail soon

post-83918-0-00513900-1448847493_thumb.jpg

Plumbing

post-83918-0-76157700-1448847481_thumb.jpg

LED preview, with Graymalkin

post-83918-0-39878200-1448847484_thumb.jpg

The sump

post-83918-0-57322400-1448847490_thumb.jpg

Overflow plumbing assembly

post-83918-0-55615600-1448847495_thumb.jpg

LED preview #2

post-83918-0-31764600-1448847498_thumb.jpg

The return pump

post-83918-0-69974900-1448847679_thumb.jpg

The return plumbing, kinda boring looking but fun to build :P

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a very fine gradient sand.

Larese-Casanova.Oolitic.sand.sm.250x333.

Most major sand providers sell one form or another. Although it could pricey when you're looking to get a deep sand bed built up. Don't suppose you live anywhere near Utah? It's just lying out in the desert over here lol

I've only skimmed your intro, but it looks like you've done some research. I too am considering garden eels as a feature peice in my next setup (long way off, it'll be when we move house next) and I found this artical, not sure if you've seen it.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/7/fish2

I think garden eels are amazing creatures and I'm really looking forward to seeing how you set your system up and how things work out.

It is a very fine gradient sand.

Larese-Casanova.Oolitic.sand.sm.250x333.

Most major sand providers sell one form or another. Although it could pricey when you're looking to get a deep sand bed built up. Don't suppose you live anywhere near Utah? It's just lying out in the desert over here lol

Unfortunately no... Illinois lol

Unless I stick with this quartz stuff I'm pretty sure it'll be expensive for 400lbs :P

I've only skimmed your intro, but it looks like you've done some research. I too am considering garden eels as a feature peice in my next setup (long way off, it'll be when we move house next) and I found this artical, not sure if you've seen it.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/7/fish2

I think garden eels are amazing creatures and I'm really looking forward to seeing how you set your system up and how things work out.

Nice! I agree garden eels are totally amazing.

I met some people at the public aquarium in Chicago who keep garden eels, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can from them... I'll record everything here!

Nice progress, looks like this is all coming together really well.

In terms of sand, it may be worthwhile seeing if any of your local LFS can get bulk sand orders. I purchased a 30KG (60ish pound) bag from a local LFS for something like $30. They buy in bulk themselves and package it onsite to pass on the savings. I went for what they call 'Fine Reef Sand' which is very very fine aragonite sand, roughly 1mm particles. You may also be able to get fine silicate based sands from a building supplier or hardware store. Anywhere that you can buy sand for paving or yard work.

Nice progress, looks like this is all coming together really well.

In terms of sand, it may be worthwhile seeing if any of your local LFS can get bulk sand orders. I purchased a 30KG (60ish pound) bag from a local LFS for something like $30. They buy in bulk themselves and package it onsite to pass on the savings. I went for what they call 'Fine Reef Sand' which is very very fine aragonite sand, roughly 1mm particles. You may also be able to get fine silicate based sands from a building supplier or hardware store. Anywhere that you can buy sand for paving or yard work.

Thanks!

That's also a good idea - I'll contact them tomorrow. Fine grain sand is exactly what I'm looking for and 50 cents a pound sounds reasonable

It's nice to see someone so careful for their charges lol. Your doing the right thing. ?

Gotta do what you gotta do :happydance:

Sorry for the delay, weekend for tank work finally arrived!

I made some plywood panels for the front and side, and painted them today. They're drying and pics will be up after installation tomorrow.

Ordered a single Jebao RW15, and I'll update when I find how it works out with the eels' special feeding requirements.

Happy holidays, from Garden Eel Santa :P

post-83918-0-76220900-1449364859_thumb.jpg

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen someone attempt garden eels on this site :o There's an LFS near me that gets garden eels from time to time but I don't know how they're doing right now.. They were being kept in a temporary container so I know they couldnt've been there long. Hopefully whoever picked them up did as much research as you have :) I'm looking forward to seeing this build!

I think a really big, shallow planted tank with corals and rocks in the background and a small garden eel garden ( :rolleyes: ) in the foreground would be my dream tank..

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen someone attempt garden eels on this site :o There's an LFS near me that gets garden eels from time to time but I don't know how they're doing right now.. They were being kept in a temporary container so I know they couldnt've been there long. Hopefully whoever picked them up did as much research as you have :) I'm looking forward to seeing this build!

I think a really big, shallow planted tank with corals and rocks in the background and a small garden eel garden ( :rolleyes: ) in the foreground would be my dream tank..

Haven't heard of anyone here who keeps them :) it's a fun challenge and just taking it step by step.

Just curious what lfs you know that gets garden eels? Mine won't even order them, just because the success rate is so low.

As for your idea, that's similar to what I'm going for! I want them to be as comfortable as possible, so I'm

special ordering three species of carribean sea grass to simulate their habitat. Plus a bunch of lps and softies I'm holding in another tank, in a rock pillar I'm building out of dry pukani rock. Can't wait to upload pics of the scape when finished.

I see them show up at Aquatic Collection in Hayward, CA once in a while. Very cute, but definitely need very specific tank conditions. Excited to see someone give them a try and designing the set-up around their needs.

I see them show up at Aquatic Collection in Hayward, CA once in a while. Very cute, but definitely need very specific tank conditions. Excited to see someone give them a try and designing the set-up around their needs.

Nice! Have never seen them in any shops... and have been to quite a few lol. Can't wait to eventually keep the eels, they're adorable :)

On another note, I contacted a japanese research team who wrote an article in a journal about garden eel spawning -- they documented the spawning on video! I'll post up the link when I find it. I'm going to try to learn how they kept the eels, and whatever information they might have that could help.

Is the opening in the wall that your tank is going to be seen through a bit narrower than the tank so that the depth of the sandbed is kind of hidden? (I know that sounds confusing but I can't find any other way to phrase it :lol: ) But if so, that's exactly what I had in mind!

Is the opening in the wall that your tank is going to be seen through a bit narrower than the tank so that the depth of the sandbed is kind of hidden? (I know that sounds confusing but I can't find any other way to phrase it :lol: ) But if so, that's exactly what I had in mind!

Gotcha, yeah I can't decide. The tank is 26" high, so I would be left with 14" of viewing area :wacko:. I'm kinda leaning towards trimming around the entire tank and not doing that, since the sand is bright white anyway so might look nice.

Gotcha, yeah I can't decide. The tank is 26" high, so I would be left with 14" of viewing area :wacko:. I'm kinda leaning towards trimming around the entire tank and not doing that, since the sand is bright white anyway so might look nice.

Ah I see, so your sandbed would be about 13"-14" with an inch or two of sand viewable?

Yeah I'm thinking with my setup I'll use an 18 inch tall tank with a stand that covers the bottom 6-7 inches to hide the sand as I want a shallow reef/lagoon look with a mangrove garden in the background.

Love the shallow rimmless look of many of the tanks here on NR and the mangrove tanks that are about as well.

Ah I see, so your sandbed would be about 13"-14" with an inch or two of sand viewable?

Sorry phrased that super awkwardly lol, meant leaning towards leaving the entire tank visible, so people can see the whole 12 inches of sand. Just because it seems like it might be weird to have a 60*14" in wall viewing area. Still open to suggestions though!

Yeah I'm thinking with my setup I'll use an 18 inch tall tank with a stand that covers the bottom 6-7 inches to hide the sand as I want a shallow reef/lagoon look with a mangrove garden in the background.

Love the shallow rimmless look of many of the tanks here on NR and the mangrove tanks that are about as well.

Sounds awesome! Do you have the tank? I can picture what you mean, but unfortunately my stand is too tall to do a shallow tank.

No tank yet, this is a plan for when we next move (not any time soon hahahaha).

Keep changing my mind on size, currently thinking 36X36X18 with a corner overflow and having it 2 sides viewable in a corner of the room. Before that I was thinking on a 48X36X18 3 sides viewable but I'm not sure on space I would have to play with. Was also toying with a cylinder tank with a cental overflow for 360 viewing, the cube is also maybe going to be set as a 360 viewable system.

Thinking a cube will be easier to get good circular flow past the eels to keep food going past them when I feed and aquascape.

Theres a lot bounding around in my head at the minute lol.

Garden%20eel%20tank%20plan_zpswymogkdq.j

I've been a bit bored lol. This is what I'm currently thinking. The return will probably be a dual loc line pointing over the rock work to create some more random flow for corals.

No tank yet, this is a plan for when we next move (not any time soon hahahaha).

Keep changing my mind on size, currently thinking 36X36X18 with a corner overflow and having it 2 sides viewable in a corner of the room. Before that I was thinking on a 48X36X18 3 sides viewable but I'm not sure on space I would have to play with. Was also toying with a cylinder tank with a cental overflow for 360 viewing, the cube is also maybe going to be set as a 360 viewable system.

Thinking a cube will be easier to get good circular flow past the eels to keep food going past them when I feed and aquascape.

Theres a lot bounding around in my head at the minute lol.

Well when you move I will definitely follow :)

IMO both would look cool with eels, and if I'm picturing your plan correctly, the tank would be shallow right?

Seems like you could get the circular flow pattern in a shallow tank too, you might just need an extra pump.

Nice diagram, looks good for eels! What if you moved the pump behind the mangroves, to separate it from the overflow? Might help create the circular flow too. Sorry for the bad annotation lol, not sure if that's where the walls would be.

post-83918-0-02847400-1449455944_thumb.jpg

After I knocked it up I realised I'd drawn it wrong lol, your spot on with your thinking and placement to the wall, but the overflow should be in the corner you've added the pump too. I've put the aquascape in wrong lol needs turning 90 degrees. One RW-15 should give plenty of circular flow. It's currently in my 75g which is 36X24X24 and moves water like the gyre pumps do, also the scape is designed to aid circular flow. I'm hoping the water will eddi around nicely infront of the rock work between the mangrove roots.

Yes the viewable area of the tank will be 11-12 inches with some 10-11 inches of water depth and I'm thinking about some of the rock work breaking the surface with the mangrove roots giving shelter for fish and inverts. That's the dream anyway. Got some mangroves currently growing out in my 75's sump as they're slow growing.

After I knocked it up I realised I'd drawn it wrong lol, your spot on with your thinking and placement to the wall, but the overflow should be in the corner you've added the pump too. I've put the aquascape in wrong lol needs turning 90 degrees. One RW-15 should give plenty of circular flow. It's currently in my 75g which is 36X24X24 and moves water like the gyre pumps do, also the scape is designed to aid circular flow. I'm hoping the water will eddi around nicely infront of the rock work between the mangrove roots.

Yes the viewable area of the tank will be 11-12 inches with some 10-11 inches of water depth and I'm thinking about some of the rock work breaking the surface with the mangrove roots giving shelter for fish and inverts. That's the dream anyway. Got some mangroves currently growing out in my 75's sump as they're slow growing.

Very cool that it simulates the gyre pump. And I have thought about doing air-exposed rockwork too, would be really cool combined with the mangrove shoots! + Do you think an RW-15 would provide enough flow for a 120? That's what I'm currently planning to buy. Jebao says it gives off roughly 3500gph, so hoping that's accurate.

and...

Update #6!

- All stand panels are painted, marine varnished, and installed with counter-sinked, black drywall screws :)

- I laser cut and siliconed in a dual filter-sock holder for the sump. 2 4" filter socks in the mail.

- Still making decision on pump (RW15 is a possibility)

Pics tonight! (sorry for the delay, I have a bad cold, slows me down lol)

Well the 15 has some punch. It's the only pump in my 75g and I don't need anything else. The RW range have a strong 'draw' around them as well as pushing a lot of water so your get great water movement off them.

I have a freind with a 7 foot tank who had 2 RW-20's and had to sell one as 2 was to much for his tank, one was plenty.

It's all about positioning and your rock structure. If you have an aquascape that will block a lot of flow from one direction you might have problems and need multiple pumps. I have my 75g setup peninsula so I only have the back wall to put pumps on and 2 RW-4's (which should have been enough flow) couldn't move enough water. One each end would probably been ok, but the rock was just stopping the water circulate properly. The RW-15 however has much more push and like the gyre's gets the whole water column moving at once meaning I can get away with the one pump up high over my scape.

The Jebao RW's are well worth the money in my opinon.

Well the 15 has some punch. It's the only pump in my 75g and I don't need anything else. The RW range have a strong 'draw' around them as well as pushing a lot of water so your get great water movement off them.

I have a freind with a 7 foot tank who had 2 RW-20's and had to sell one as 2 was to much for his tank, one was plenty.

It's all about positioning and your rock structure. If you have an aquascape that will block a lot of flow from one direction you might have problems and need multiple pumps. I have my 75g setup peninsula so I only have the back wall to put pumps on and 2 RW-4's (which should have been enough flow) couldn't move enough water. One each end would probably been ok, but the rock was just stopping the water circulate properly. The RW-15 however has much more push and like the gyre's gets the whole water column moving at once meaning I can get away with the one pump up high over my scape.

The Jebao RW's are well worth the money in my opinon.

Thanks for the response -- sounds like one RW-15 should suffice for a very open scape. I want to maximize eel space, so the only coral will be on the rock pillar. I'm hoping to create a gyre with that one pump, with it positioned partially hidden by the rock pillar. Might even be cool to try a few mangrove shoots!

Archived