inTank Media Baskets

Dying Monti, help meee

isaacharry

Hello,

I have a SUNSET MDNTIPORA and unfortunately it is bleaching... do they like high flow and lights?

params

ca is 450

alk is 12.5

mag is unknown

ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate is undetectable

lights are hydra 26 HD at 50% intensity

as of now its 12" below the light in direct flow

alk seems a bit high, but you need some nitrates and phosphates to keep the coral happy. In my experience, the sunset doesn't need a ton of light, but likes some and likes good flow. When you say direct flow? What is it in direct flow of? And last question, do you feed the corals?

its very close to my MP10, pretty much every day the colour gets more and more pale,

I don't feed them at all, all of my SPS have crazy high amount of growth. and my bioload is small, just two clowns. should i put it in the shade?

its very close to my MP10, pretty much every day the colour gets more and more pale,

I don't feed them at all, all of my SPS have crazy high amount of growth. and my bioload is small, just two clowns. should i put it in the shade?

No, I wouldn't put it in the shade, but maybe try it lower in the tank. Are the polyps coming out? The corals will need food though..

Also, how long have you had it? If you didn't slowly acclimate it to LEDs it might be bleaching from that.

Also, photos would help :)

I agree with Stella..move it down see how it does...There are so many factors that come into play..12.5 alk is a little suspcious...but if if you are able to keep that number consistantly I wouldnt consider that as a factor..especially if your other SPS are happy. Stable params are the best bet for SPS, at least in my experience. Possibly coral warfare? I legit lost 99% of my SPS over the summer for no apparent reason...I tested and tested with no apparent abnormalities...which lead me to two conclusions...SPS over load and they killed each other or temp change.

Having said that, some corals are just weird and deteriorate in the blink of an eye, possibly pests...bacterial infections..so on and so forth...SO I go back to consistency in params and routines, (WC, Dosing ect...) Just my opinion...and I'm no expert SPS magician..

Good luck, hope you can resolve the issue.

Archived