SaltCritters.com

Help: Rescued pico/nano tank that has been neglected

bigmoose

Greetings,

I'm new to the world of saltwater/marine aquariums. I am familiar with the basics of freshwater aquariums, and I had been considering a saltwater setup for a few years now.

I found this one on craigslist, and decided to 'impusle' buy for $100.

"I am selling my saltwater 6 gallon nano fish tank with fish and hermit crabs and mini starfish. I just don't have the time absolutely nothing wrong with this tank. over $400 worth of live rock, fish, sand, crabs, corals, heater, led lights both blue night lights and day lights and tank. selling for $100 firm call xxx-xxxx"

00T0T_hw4AJanxhFi_600x450.jpg

00u0u_j2YLY6UYOdi_600x450.jpg

00808_dAsFzXGiI1K_600x450.jpg

It was about an hour ride home, and it has taken some time for things to settle down. It looks like the clown fish is alive and happy. I found 2 micro/mini star fish. I haven't spotted the hermit crab yet, or the emerald crab yet.

I picked out the big globs of algae and then refilled with some RO water. The tank has been sitting for about 3 hours now, and is a fair bit clearer.

Here is what I figured with the testing of the water:
SG 1.026, salinity 35ish, PH is about 8.0, Amonia 0, Nitrite 0, nitrate and 0. Calcium I haven't tested yet. I'm still reading how the test is done and watching some youtube video's.
The water temp is approx 78 degrees.

It looks like some sort of fluval tank. And there are some pretty gnarly things stuck to the glass, heater, and water filter. The magnet cleaner isn't doing much of anything with most of the stuff that is not green.

I have no idea what type of live rock, or corals are in here. I had been planning on a fish only with live rock tank. But I'll work with what I have.

Moving forward, what are the next steps to re-habilitate this tank and ensure that none of the little guys in there die or get sick from the stress with the move?

I have a basic gravel cleaner / siphon. And I think I'll try my hand at that before bedtime or tomorrow morning. Should I consider a protein skimmer? If so, what are some recommended ones for a tank this small?

In the meantime, while you guys are reading/posting replies to this, I'll be doing some more research and youtube'ing.

Sorry for my poor pictures. I'm trying to figure out how to snap photo's of aquariums and have them be useful.

Thank you!!!

~ryan

P.S.

I'm not sure what type of coral/plant that one is on the right hand side on the rock. It's standing up in the pics posted by the P.O. of the aquarium. But after I got it home and filled it up, it's drooped down and dead looking. Is there any hope for it?

post-89620-0-97536300-1446693344_thumb.jpg

post-89620-0-70347400-1446693353_thumb.jpg

post-89620-0-93404300-1446693359_thumb.jpg

Yeah you don't need a protein skimmer.

Use a razor for the coralline algae on the glass.

I would reccomend buying some salt water and starting to renovate the tank- vaccum the sand, use a turkey baster to clean the rocks, etc.

Welcome to NR!

phillyclownfish

Do you know how many gallons that tank is? Im guessing the 6 gallon? If it is a 6 gallon I would not add anymore fish. I would make sure your temp and testing stays solid for the next couple of weeks. Never hurts to test. From there I would do a 20% water change at least once a week or maybe even twice a week while you clean it up. Make sure your salinity is the same as the tank before you start the water change, I would just clean up the glass with the magnet cleaner and use the tube you are using to siphon water out to grab as much algae as possible. Hope this helps.

The coral looks like a finger leather of some type. It is normal for them to droop when disturbed but with some water changes, lighting and good maintenance it should perk back up. Sometimes it can be several days to a week. Don't toss it unless it appears to be disintegrating.

I'll be picking up a turkey baster today to help with cleaning the rocks/corals.

Yes, it is a 6 gallon or so tank. I bought a 2+ gallon jug of saltwater pre-mixed from PetSmart. I do have a few gallons of distilled water on hand that I also use for the two fresh water tanks that my children have.

I'll have to get a razor blade with a long handle. The only access inside the tank is the small hole (maybe 1/3 of the top glass). The top glass is glued in place.

I'll look over the list of tank cleaners/snails. I'll get the tank cleaned up as much as I can and let it cycle/get stable for a few weeks before I add any creatures.

And good to know on the coral finger leather. Hopefully it comes back around.

Thank you for the tips. The clowfish is quite the character. He is a piggy with the food. I think he has been trained to beg for food. It is quite funny to watch him.

What food should I get or how do I feed the crabs and starfish? Or do they just take what the clownfish doesn't eat?

Thanks again.

I'll post a picture later today after I windex the outside of the tank. It is looking much better in there this morning.

~ryan

If the lid is siliconed you could take a razor blade and cut it off. That way you have access to the tank and maintenence will be alot easier.

When you do your water change take the green hairy rock out and give it a good scrub in the waste water. I don't know if that is a stock light, if it is I think that might have something to do with the algae. If that leather gets happy it will out grow the tank.

I'll be picking up a turkey baster today to help with cleaning the rocks/corals.

Yes, it is a 6 gallon or so tank. I bought a 2+ gallon jug of saltwater pre-mixed from PetSmart. I do have a few gallons of distilled water on hand that I also use for the two fresh water tanks that my children have.

I'll have to get a razor blade with a long handle. The only access inside the tank is the small hole (maybe 1/3 of the top glass). The top glass is glued in place.

I'll look over the list of tank cleaners/snails. I'll get the tank cleaned up as much as I can and let it cycle/get stable for a few weeks before I add any creatures.

Thank you for the tips. The clowfish is quite the character. He is a piggy with the food. I think he has been trained to beg for food. It is quite funny to watch him.

What food should I get or how do I feed the crabs and starfish? Or do they just take what the clownfish doesn't eat?

Thanks again.

I'll post a picture later today after I windex the outside of the tank. It is looking much better in there this morning.

~ryan

The crabs will eat the clownfish's uneaten food and other things (algae, detritus, etc). They're part of your clean up crew. I'm not too sure on the starfish though.

A little hard to tell from the pics, but the coral looks like a kenya tree to me. As stated above they will shrink up when disturbed and stay that way for days sometimes.

congrats! how fun!

i have an 8g tank. i clean it every 7-10 days.

by day 10, it's looking a bit rank.

no skimmer. you don't need.

usually i'll use about 1.5 gallons for a water change

and thorough cleaning. i use turkey baster, the metal scraper,

toothbrush, and will take a paper towel to wipe algae on the

inside if i have to. no harm, no foul. :)

i take most coral on my sand out and put it into a bowl filled

with "dirty water" i've scooped out. i'll lightly blast the sand bed.

this stirs up a cloud of crap that i suck up and out. i'll lightly

blast the rocks as well of sand and detrius.

i have NO clean up crew.

i found my tank too small to support most snails and also,

they just knocked stuff over. i DO however have hitchhikers that

include two giant stomatella snails and lots of small spiny brittle

star fish.

i have done fine without a CUC tbh.

good luck and have fun!

I agree that you should cut away the glue so you can have full access to the tank. I can't believe the previous owner glued the lid in! How would he/she go about doing maintenance then?

And yea pull out that piece of rock and scrub the algae off in your waste water. However I think the algae has been chewing up all the nutrients in the tank and hence the 0 nitrates. Once you have it removed, your nitrate and phosphate may start shooting up. Keep up with your water change, or get a ball of chaeto and start a refugium.

You can feed your fish dried mysis shrimp, pallets, flakes, or some frozen food. Petsmart sells frozen fish food in cubes last time I checked. Cycle through different food so they get a balanced diet.

I agree that you should cut away the glue so you can have full access to the tank. I can't believe the previous owner glued the lid in! How would he/she go about doing maintenance then?

I don't think the old owner glued that top on, I believe it was built that way. Look up "Fluval Edge" tanks.

Thanks again.

~ryan

dont spray windex on your tank, just use a damp towel with fresh water and dry it with a dry towel ?

I don't think the old owner glued that top on, I believe it was built that way. Look up "Fluval Edge" tanks.

I believe the lids are snap on from the factory. If they wernt the previous owner must have broken the seal, added the rocks, and re siliconed the lit.

And yea pull out that piece of rock and scrub the algae off in your waste water. However I think the algae has been chewing up all the nutrients in the tank and hence the 0 nitrates. Once you have it removed, your nitrate and phosphate may start shooting up. Keep up with your water change, or get a ball of chaeto and start a refugium.

You can feed your fish dried mysis shrimp, pallets, flakes, or some frozen food. Petsmart sells frozen fish food in cubes last time I checked. Cycle through different food so they get a balanced diet.

I have a fluval 6 edge. The top is siliconed on and the only access is through the square on the top panel. It's so it stays watertight as you fill water above the top line into the small square access area. This then creates a clear viewing pane into the tank.

I have a fluval 6 edge. The top is siliconed on and the only access is through the square on the top panel. It's so it stays watertight as you fill water above the top line into the small square access area. This then creates a clear viewing pane into the tank.

Stella is right. All fluval edge tanks only have that small access point. So please don't cut the glue away : )

Also take your time on salvaging the tank, and don't remove all that algae at once, I have an itch that is what is reducing the nitrates right now. I would get a good clean up crew personally, maybe even a small tuxedo urchin "Temporarily" they are great for removing algae, but they are nano tank terrors, unless you enjoy watching them carry anything and everything around. :lol:

Start with doing weekly or biweekly water changes 10-50% depends on what you are comfortable with doing.

If you tested the water correctly, your basic parameters are stable, and you don't have much for coral, except for that soft leather or Kenya tree I see? So I would not worry about anything other than Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates.

And I agree with Harry, use a razor to carefully scrape the Coraline algae off the glass.

If I am wrong with anything please correct me someone. : )

I think you can cut the glue and take the top off, but you should silicone some supports in the corner. Saw a post on here where a few people were doing it. I always wondered how little oxygen got in that system and how hard it is to clean the top glass through that little hole.

The fluval edge tanks come with the top glued on, that is one features, allows for a clear view into the Tank.

When you do your first water change, just remove enough that you can curl your hand inside and scrape the top. I never have to use anything to clean the top other than a mag cleaner.

What all is inside the AC20 filter? I would remove everything and just run filter floss.

Archived