Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Sump Design - Derimmed 10G w/ Acrylic Baffles

Bubba30

I'd like some feedback on my sump design before I pull the trigger. This sump is for a 22 gallon tank. I have an Aquamaxx WS-1 for the skimmer chamber; very small footprint. I just got a Vectra M1 for the return; not sure if I am going to mount internally or externally as of yet so I could use some help there. The Return holds about 2 gallons of water prior to displacement from the pump.

Thanks for checking it out.

righttirefire

I just have a general question why do sump have the design of dumping into a chamber and than filling to the filter sock. Is it to capture larger have particles in the bottom of the chamber so they don't get into the sock?

I just have a general question why do sump have the design of dumping into a chamber and than filling to the filter sock. Is it to capture larger have particles in the bottom of the chamber so they don't get into the sock?

makes replacing filter sock easier than pulling out from under the drain pipe.

attachicon.gifsump_design_ani0001.jpg

attachicon.gifsump_design_ani0068.jpg

attachicon.gifsump_design_ani0138.jpg

attachicon.gifsump_design_ani0192.jpg

I'd like some feedback on my sump design before I pull the trigger. This sump is for a 22 gallon tank. I have an Aquamaxx WS-1 for the skimmer chamber; very small footprint. I just got a Vectra M1 for the return; not sure if I am going to mount internally or externally as of yet so I could use some help there. The Return holds about 2 gallons of water prior to displacement from the pump.

Thanks for checking it out.

love your design, only thing I can see is it may gather detritus at the bottom of each chamber but stronger flow may reduce that.

Looks great! awesome work on the sketch too. One thing that I can think of, would it be beneficial to add another divider in your fuge/media chamber to separate your fuge from getting all tangled with your media basket or just filtration? This would also cut down on chances to introduce bubbles. You could just do two baffle to force the flow under the media basket if your using one on the back end.

My only critique is that all the overflows into each section looks to be too high. How high is the one in the skimmer chamber? That should be set so that the skimmer is in the right range of water heights so it can operate properly (usually around 8"). I could be wrong on this, as there are no dimensions anywhere, and there is no tank shown for reference.

Like smiz said, some additional baffles for bubble reduction couldn't hurt.

makes replacing filter sock easier than pulling out from under the drain pipe.

love your design, only thing I can see is it may gather detritus at the bottom of each chamber but stronger flow may reduce that.

Did you read the part I said I've got a Vectra M1 for this tiny setup; flow through the sump shouldn't be an issue. ;)

I expect the flow through a 2" x 5" chamber to be pretty substantial... enough to keep detritus suspended.

Hopefully the filter sock catches most of the crap as well.

Looks great! awesome work on the sketch too. One thing that I can think of, would it be beneficial to add another divider in your fuge/media chamber to separate your fuge from getting all tangled with your media basket or just filtration? This would also cut down on chances to introduce bubbles. You could just do two baffle to force the flow under the media basket if your using one on the back end.

Good thought. I haven't read any issues with the Aquamaxx WS-1 producing microbubbles so I wasn't worried about it.

My only critique is that all the overflows into each section looks to be too high. How high is the one in the skimmer chamber? That should be set so that the skimmer is in the right range of water heights so it can operate properly (usually around 8"). I could be wrong on this, as there are no dimensions anywhere, and there is no tank shown for reference.

Like smiz said, some additional baffles for bubble reduction couldn't hurt.

The skimmer section overflows at 9" which is in the 8"-10" range I am looking for; each section drops by about an inch to hopefully keep it nice and quiet.

Can anyone weigh in on if I should plan on doing this Vectra M1 internally or externally? I like the idea of doing it externally; I just saw the new Vectra sump(ridiculous) and the return pump is plumbed to pull from the first chamber/third chamber on a bypass valve. You can then pull water directly from the first chamber to do cleaning/maintenance/water change in the 2nd chamber with no interruption to the display tank/overflow syphon/ATO which is appealing.

attachicon.gifsump_design_ani0002.jpg

Something like this; I have seen people put active carbon pads between baffles like this. Couldn't possibly hurt.

i wouldn't go with teeth on the bottom, that's going to restrict the flow quite a bit and even more when you stuff the carbon pad down, just a straight down baffle with 1-2" off the bottom would do.

and that pump is a beast, should allow more opened space for flow.

Can you elaborate more on what's in the fuge/media area? If your having a fuge with media bags or something in the same area I think you should go with my earlier recommendation with having a media basket for that then a baffle then the fuge. If I'm off basis here with my understanding then just carry on lol. But I once had a media bag in a chamber with cheato and it got covered quick.

Can you elaborate more on what's in the fuge/media area? If your having a fuge with media bags or something in the same area I think you should go with my earlier recommendation with having a media basket for that then a baffle then the fuge. If I'm off basis here with my understanding then just carry on lol. But I once had a media bag in a chamber with cheato and it got covered quick.

I was just thinking biomedia as in Seachem Matrix and some macros. My display does not have a lot of live rock and I'd just like to add some surface area for bacteria. In the future I may add a media rack in front of that baffle to hold different media if my parameters require it.

Archived