Cultivated Reef

back in the hobby with a 3g

nosser

Equipment:

3g JBJ Picotope

AC70 with DIY fuge and media rack

ATO

BoostLed Par30 led

Hello, I'm finally ready to get back into the hobby. I've missed it for so long. I was on this site 24/7 like 5yrs ago. I've had a few aggressive Fowlr tanks up to 120g, and a few nano reefs ranging from 5g to 30g. Before my son was born, I had lots of plans and bought tanks and equipment just because they were on sale but I've never used. I was hoping to sell my old but new biocube 14 to start a 40g. I finally settled in my new home and can start a tank now.

There are so many cool tanks now and I just want to buy a new one but I figured I should ease back in with a smaller tank. So I plan to keep cost low for the time being and use my old but new stuff. I have 2 tanks to choose from. A 3g Picotope and a 7g Mini Bow. I have a (Fab) modded ac70 for the 3g and a modded ac110 for the 7g. Since I've been catching up and reading this site I'll most likely run without sand in either tank. I plan to paint the bottom with a finish so at least it will appear to look like sand from afar.

Help me choose please..

Don't mind the lamp I was just checking how it would look in this location. This is my formal living room. Also don't mind the fixture for the Par30. I will be changing that too. Sorry if I talk to much! I have pichers

P9160007_zpsqjqrgg1f.jpg

P9180010_zpsdupnpjgy.jpg

I'd go 7. That way you can do a fish or two. I'm working on a 2.5 and can't stop myself from looking at bigger options for an inevitable future upgrade. Also, easier to maintain your perams.

Welcome back! I took a 2 year hiatus when my kid was born... I had a lot of old new equipment too! lol Good luck with the build. I'd go bigger than 7g if you can. Reefing is even more exciting these days, so many choices in livestock and equipment, you'll wanna upgrade real quick! Like Michael said...

Thanks everyone I am going with the 7 gal. I think I might remove the top rim and I just got some stone textured spray paint to paint the bottom. I ordered a few things. I've never used a koralia but hopefully it's not too much flow I ordered a 425.

Haha about upgrading soon. I always find reasons to spend money! Well my girl is talking about how cute pufferfish are and how cool lion fish look so I already want to start a big fowlr tank and this will be my only reef. Corals are not cheap.

Alright! Well the 7g is out. I'm embarrassed to say but I cracked the glass along the top removing the trim. I was rushing and not taking my time. It's just a small chip along the top but I'm just gonna trash it. I did get some paint and did the bottom of the 3 gal pico. I think it turned out pretty good! Now I can run a bare bottom.

P9190016_zpsmbqypw24.jpg

P9190017_zpsrtn1ysgf.jpg

The painted on sand is a cool idea. I liked the 3 gallon more anyways. B)

Thanks I saw it somewhere online. I was going to try a faux sand bed but I figured this would be a better and easier solution. That's what I keep telling myself! haha

This thing is wet now! Had a hard time taking pictures with the LEDs. First pic was Auto white balance and I adjusted the others. I also made a media rack for the AC70. Don't mind the silicon lol, I made that like 5yrs ago!

post-25721-0-29885300-1443072642_thumb.jpg

post-25721-0-40655100-1443072648_thumb.jpg

post-25721-0-71471700-1443072653_thumb.jpg

post-25721-0-73231100-1443074618_thumb.jpg

Looks great dude!

Thanks man!

That's like the perfect rock for a that tank...

Thanks it's 3 separate pieces. I think they're originally from Reefcleaners

What paint did you use for the bottom?

I used this and painted the outside bottom. I got it from HD think it was like $6-7.

post-25721-0-33101700-1443145114_thumb.jpg

It's been a while since I posted. I'm using dry rock so this cycle is going to take forever! What suggestions do you have to speed it up a bit? I'm going to test it again today.

on a side note no-one wants to buy my 14 biocube so I've been working on that as well.

post-25721-0-95898300-1443759216_thumb.jpg

post-25721-0-24891800-1443759228_thumb.jpg

post-25721-0-68341900-1443759230_thumb.jpg

post-25721-0-52293800-1443759266_thumb.jpg

Yes! Another 3 gallon tank! That bottom looks awesome.

if you throw in a piece of live rock, once ammonia and nitrites are reading zero I would say you are safe for a cuc and coral. I would wait a bit before a fish or anything though. Coral doesn't really count towards the bio load and with such a small tank, anything fishwise you add in the future will not produce much ammonia to worry about a spike.

I'm cycling with dry rock too which I started with some flake food. Monday will be 4 weeks so hopefully everything is reading zero by then. I had a little nitrite earlier in the week but Ammonia has been 0. Looking forward to watching your tank come to life.

Yes! Another 3 gallon tank! That bottom looks awesome.

if you throw in a piece of live rock, once ammonia and nitrites are reading zero I would say you are safe for a cuc and coral. I would wait a bit before a fish or anything though. Coral doesn't really count towards the bio load and with such a small tank, anything fishwise you add in the future will not produce much ammonia to worry about a spike.

That looks really clean using the stone paint for the bottom.

Thanks guys!

I'm cycling with dry rock too which I started with some flake food. Monday will be 4 weeks so hopefully everything is reading zero by then. I had a little nitrite earlier in the week but Ammonia has been 0. Looking forward to watching your tank come to life.

Yeah it's my first time using dry rock and honestly it's kinda boring haha! I used fish food too but I'm not seeing much difference. it's only been 1 week for me. I'm following your tank as well. I have read about the raw fish but wasn't sure about that since this tank is so small.

• 2 weeks later...
wow.such.chris

Im so glad I clicked your thread and saw that bottom! That looks so good and the longer I do this the more I HATE SAND

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys! Little update I finally finished my cycle and my girl got a clownfish and a $5 frag of candy coral. I also sold my biocube and purchased a 40b that I've been working on. I'll update pics shortly. Thanks for all the comments on the painted sand bed. I may do that on the 40b also.

Archived