Top Shelf Aquatics

Sand Dollar in reef aquarium

HarryPotter

Sand dollars are prohibited to collect in the entire state. http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/aquarium-species/

If I recall correctly, so are several species of plants in your freshwater ;)

Get 'me jedi! We're responsible tank maintainers

Because it's VERY irresponsible to pick up one from the beach (that would be dead within hours from the sun) and bring it home ;)

I'm not going to do it anyway, or is I did it would be in a year. No point for me to worry now I guess

jedimasterben

If I recall correctly, so are several species of plants in your freshwater ;)

Like what?

The one that I removed and incinerated?

Like what?The one that I removed and incinerated?

that makes you even more irresponsible, killing endangered species, that's plain hypocritical on your part!
jedimasterben

Which means you had it in there in the first place bright spark!...

When something comes in with a shipment and there are many thousands of possible plants it could be, more than likely you won't have an ID for it. ;)

that makes you even more irresponsible, killing endangered species, that's plain hypocritical on your part!

Hygrophila polysperma is the opposite of endangered.

I always find it interesting that people cite illegal activity of someone else to justify their illegal activity. If there is none to justify, then some 'bright spark' has to run off at the mouth insinuating illegal activity of someone else for justification.

I especially like the bit about H. polysperma being endangered!

Which means you had it in there in the first place bright spark!...

Yikes lets keep this civil and free of sarcasm/name-calling! :grouphug:

Its not endangered, its an invasive pest :huh: .

I always find it interesting that people cite illegal activity of someone else to justify their illegal activity. If there is none to justify, then some 'bright spark' has to run off at the mouth insinuating illegal activity of someone else for justification.

I especially like the bit about H. polysperma being endangered!

Yeah that was probably not my best reply :blink:

I kept one for several months many years ago. If I was not on my way out I'd try and find a picture. IMO in a larger tank with a deepish sandbed they should be okay. This was in a 5 foot 112 gallon. What did him in was polyclads (giant flatworms that also went after snails and clams) it would take a good day for him to go over to the other side of the tank but was very active and eating something. While it did leave the sandbed I suspect it was eating stuff in the sand but I don't really know. I wouldn't try in a nano but I might consider another in my 180 although they are rarely for sale.

When something comes in with a shipment and there are many thousands of possible plants it could be, more than likely you won't have an ID for it. ;)

Hygrophila polysperma is the opposite of endangered.

oops, my mistake I usually associate illegal to keep organisms with endangered organisms. I didn't know what the plant being referred to was.

Archived