Coral Vue Hydros

Spec V - First Timer

sanfordcam

-What is a refugium? Is this needed? What is required for it?

Not needed for a nano tank this small. It's a separate space usually in the back chamber used for growing macroalgae to out compete nusiance algae in the tank.

-Who did you learn about nano-reefs from? What are some great/easy online resources you found you frequented (and maybe still do)?

Everyone on this forum! Check out all the Tank of the Month articles.

http://www.nano-reef.com/featured

-What parts from the above item lists are things you'd advise getting/why?

the inTank media basket is very nice plus it comes with the surface skimmer. A little expensive so see if you can catch it on sale or use a coupon. inTank has 10% for members here I believe. Someone can chime in on the coupon code. Get some filter floss too. It should go in the first chamber of the media basket. It will catch all the debris in the water.

Avoid the hydor deflector thing. I have two and I dont use it anymore. It doesn't do much in this tank and is huge and ugly. Actually, you dont NEED any of the things you listed =P. Definitely not the wave maker.

The most important things are light and live rock. If you got those, you are set.

-If you've got a ton of time, which is each piece you suggest used for?

?

-What are a few soft corals that are very easy to take care that you personally favor?

Start with softies like mushrooms and zoas. Then LPS like acans and frogspawns. Try to find local forums or reef clubs. People give away corals to beginners all the time.

The most important things are light and live rock. If you got those, you are set.

Then I think I'm all set! The last and hardest part will be finding a small table that matches the dimensions of the tank pretty closely, so that I can keep it in my desk area.

How is your media basket arranged? I should go scour your thread more for possible photos :D

Then I think I'm all set! The last and hardest part will be finding a small table that matches the dimensions of the tank pretty closely, so that I can keep it in my desk area.

How is your media basket arranged? I should go scour your thread more for possible photos :D

I have filter floss, carbon / phosguard, purigen in my media basket. Your chemipure elite = carbon + phosguard. When you are done with chemipure elite, you can try chemipure blue which is equivalent to carbon + phosguard + purigen all in one. They sell little nano packets for chemipure blue that's perfect for nano tanks.

I haven't updated my spec v in the longest time =P. What fish are you planning to get??

Ooh, awesome! I'll be sure to get the Chemipure Blue next time. Did you seal up the little slit in the bottom of the filter wall too?

From the videos and things I've watched, I really like Blennys. Maybe a Watchman Goby? The only certainty is a Clown at this point, lol. Been looking at the good beginner ones (especially since my only previous fish experience is exclusively bettas).

From what I understand 2 fish would be safe in a 5g but I'm not sure if I'd need a shrimpy or anythin' like that.

Ooh, awesome! I'll be sure to get the Chemipure Blue next time. Did you seal up the little slit in the bottom of the filter wall too?

From the videos and things I've watched, I really like Blennys. Maybe a Watchman Goby? The only certainty is a Clown at this point, lol. Been looking at the good beginner ones (especially since my only previous fish experience is exclusively bettas).

From what I understand 2 fish would be safe in a 5g but I'm not sure if I'd need a shrimpy or anythin' like that.

Yes, I totally forgot about the slit in the bottom. Definitely seal that up. I glued some ghetto plastic thing over it and it's a total failure. Once sealed, it will make the filtration much better and force all the water to go into the overflow and into the media basket.

2 small goby / blenny will be safe in a 5g. One clown is ok too...although some may disagree, but given how long the spec is compared to other 4-5g tanks, I think it's fine. I love and hate my cleaner shrimp. I love how colorful he is. I love how he's always in the open and hanging out on the gorgonian (gorgs are awesome by the way). But I hate how he steals food when I try to feed my corals.

Yes, I totally forgot about the slit in the bottom. Definitely seal that up. I glued some ghetto plastic thing over it and it's a total failure. Once sealed, it will make the filtration much better and force all the water to go into the overflow and into the media basket.

I bought some aquarium silicone or some such for my Spec III, so I'll be sure to plug up the hole. I never ended up doing it in my III and probably should..

What light schedule do you use for your tank? My light seems to have some really cool sunrise/sunset/moonlight phases!

Also, why do not many people talk about anemones? Or am I confused. [Edit] Nem.. anemone. GOT IT. >.<

Archived