Cultivated Reef

B.LaCe's JBJ 30RL Build Thread *First Corals Added!*

B.LaCe

Well here is a terrible cellphone pic of our setup. Unfortunately, our 7.5lb puppy destroyed the remote that controls this JBJ Pacifica light... Which is the ONLY way to turn on the light! I contacted JBJ and they immediately responded and are sending me a new remote (for $26+s&h). I would love some honest opinions of our hardscape. As I said before, this is my first SW setup! Thanks in advance!

Nice man! I personally like to push the live rock to the limit. The more live rock the more of a safety net. A month or two to cycle seems a bit long to me, but it really depends on so many factors. It's been awhile but I think I had a tank cycle in a week, maybe it was 2. But I was also stealing things from a nearby tank which helped jump start things. It's an awesome hobby, don't get too discouraged if you make a few mistakes along the way. If you haven't I would invest in R/O system in your house, I noticed a huge difference in using distilled water at the store vs. R/O water. Plus you can drink it too! Good luck!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Murphs_Reef

Just to show you, here's the InTank baskets next to the Stock JBJ a baskets IMG_0716_zpstla6p0i1.jpg

And a picture of my pride and joy, because I can't resist!IMG_1756_zpsha7znsxs.jpg

Other brands are available... (Just to trendkill the adverts)

Murphs_Reef

Not sure what you call it in then new age, but when I was at school it was "craft,design and technology" my pals where often taking internal filters apart and putting in PVC, plastics, acrylics etc etc shelves to drop in carbon, filter floss, add Co2 ladder runs etc into...

• 2 weeks later...

So our cycle is nearing its end. Took a sample to my LFS and they agreed. I decided to pick up a small CUC: 10 small reef hermits, 5 snails (not positive what type) and a Camelback Shrimp. Also got the Radion XR30 pro and MP10 installed with reeflink. Really enjoying the control-ability! Here's a few shots (sorry, i'm trying my hand at photography for the first time as well!):

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

Thanks Harry! Caribsea live rock from our LFS. Finally set our light and MP10 schedule (8 hours for now @ 20% brightness)

HarryPotter

Thanks Harry! Caribsea live rock from our LFS. Finally set our light and MP10 schedule (8 hours for now @ 20% brightness)

The light is at 20%? I think thats a bit low. I run mine at 55 and my tank is just a BIT taller than yours. Maybe start out with 40% IMO on the Grow of Radiance mode.

I can email you a really nice program if you PM me your email address.

Did you ever sell that light? I was reading through the thread and thought that maybe it could be used as a refugium light if you ever set one up. That or keep it as a backup in case something goes awry with the Radion. Then again, using the $$ for corals would be a pretty tempting idea. Wonderful tank!

love your aquascape! all of that coralline looks amazing on the rock.

Thanks!

Wow, tank is looking awesome! Your photos turned out great, what kink of camera are you using?

Thanks! Its a Nikon D5500 w/ a Nikkor 40mm Macro lens I bought specifically for aquarium shots. I need a LOT of work w/ my picture taking. I think I'm going to try an online DSLR course.

I also attempted to install the JBJ sk45 skimmer yesterday. I placed it in the skimmer slot (between the return area and a media basket) and it fits okay. I'll admit: I have no clue how to "tune" this thing... I kept getting micro bubbles in my tank. I tried lowering the intake tube below the water level (so its not sucking air) but that didn't seem to help and eventually would have overflowed the collection cup. There is a small crack in the body (didn't notice it out of the box, so I probably did it F'ing around with this stupid thing!) of the main tube as well! I'm trying to give this thing an honest try before upgrading to a higher quality product. Any advice?

HarryPotter

I also attempted to install the JBJ sk45 skimmer yesterday. I placed it in the skimmer slot (between the return area and a media basket) and it fits okay. I'll admit: I have no clue how to "tune" this thing... I kept getting micro bubbles in my tank. I tried lowering the intake tube below the water level (so its not sucking air) but that didn't seem to help and eventually would have overflowed the collection cup. There is a small crack in the body (didn't notice it out of the box, so I probably did it F'ing around with this stupid thing!) of the main tube as well! I'm trying to give this thing an honest try before upgrading to a higher quality product. Any advice?

Sorry to hear about this- as I said, the SK-45 is terrible quality and didn't even make it into the water of my tank. PLS-50 is your best bet IMO

Starts foaming on day 1, easily adjustable, and makes some killer skim mate

27DFABE3-3B3F-447F-B9E8-94128D2302A6_zps

So here is how i have it set up:

DSC_0051.jpg

Here's what its producing in my tank, lol:

DSC_0045.jpg

And here's a fun shot of some of my Hermits eating one of my snails. By the next morning, one of the Hermits had occupied the snail's shell!

DSC_0043.jpg

He just abandoned the snail shell for his former shell... pretty cool to watch!

Anyways, we're going to our other LFS later in search of hermit shells... and possibly, a quality nano skimmer! This LFS has an impressive array of Saltwater supplies, livestock and displays (on which they use nothing but Radions!). So I'll be picking their brain about a skimmer as well.

HarryPotter

So here is how i have it set up:

DSC_0051.jpg

Here's what its producing in my tank, lol:

DSC_0045.jpg

And here's a fun shot of some of my Hermits eating one of my snails. By the next morning, one of the Hermits had occupied the snail's shell!

DSC_0043.jpg

He just abandoned the snail shell for his former shell... pretty cool to watch!

Anyways, we're going to our other LFS later in search of hermit shells... and possibly, a quality nano skimmer! This LFS has an impressive array of Saltwater supplies, livestock and displays (on which they use nothing but Radions!). So I'll be picking their brain about a skimmer as well.

Cad Lights PLS-50 Elite. Best one for our tanks!

27DFABE3-3B3F-447F-B9E8-94128D2302A6_zps

Mr. Clownfish

I agree with Harry on the CadLights PLS-50 elite. I have it on my JBJ 45 gallon and that thing is fantastic. I have to clean ti about ever 4 days and it does a great job pulling the nasty stuff out of the water. And it fits really nice in my second section of the jbj tanks

4fb346a2-0abc-4ec5-840b-22db9fdf0efc_zps

So I ordered a PLS-50 Elite tonight. Should be here by Saturday... until then, I have a JBJ running to see what it does. Hoping to see the micro-bubbles subside but i'll be ditching the JBJ soon. We bought some empty shells from our LFS tonight but all of our hermits left them alone after some lengthy inspection, lol. So, I'm planning an order from reefcleaners. We have some larger quarter size snails (3 we can find, maybe a fourth) but I'd like to order some smaller ones. Reefcleaners has packages (by tank size). I'm thinking with what we already have, I may be able to order a 20gal snail only CUC which is: 30 ceriths, 8 nerites and 7 nassarius. With No fish or food entering the tank for the next few weeks, is this a wise move?

*UPDATE*

We've been testing our water every few days, dosing ammonia in between days and watching the ammonia and nitrates go through the nitrification cycle. After a few days of succesfully returning nitrates to zero, we decided it was time for some fish!

We went to our LFS and they agreed. We ended up getting a pair of Clownfish ( how original, lol). One was advertised as a "Vivid" Clownfish, the other, a Black and White "Snowflake". Unfortunately, My GF also fell in love with a Red Sea Starfish while we were there. Since i knew nothing about these animals, we foolishly took the employees advice on buying the starfish and acclimating it as you would the fish: I dumped the starfish and his water into a hang-on acclimation basket on the outside of my tank. Added tank water to the acclimation basket over the course of an hour, then introducing him to the tank.

After 3 days both clowns are doing well. Swimming together, sleeping together and eating pretty well. Very cool little fish! The Starfish is in big time trouble though. He's "melting" from his center disk area of his back while clinging high to the side wall of the aquarium. I now know this is from acclimating him too quickly and he's now destined for a dirt nap. I feel bad, it will be the last time I buy an animal on the advice of a LFS! I knew (from freshwater) that most LFS's were not to be trusted, but i have had a good rapport with this place for years in the past. I'm now wondering if i should just wait it out (his death) or if i should bag him up and return him to the fish store. Im guessing another swing in water parameters and stress from moving will push him over the edge.

Anyways, i'll be installing our RO/DI unit tonight and hopefully be making my first batch of saltwater for our initial water change. Nitrates tested at ~20ppm, Nitrites - 0. PLS-50 has been up and running since saturday. Still just some watery, mostly clear "skimmate". Im thinking the level in the inner tube is a bit too high yet. I'm running it about halfway up the inner tube of the collection cup, like their video said. I'll be posting pictures tonight too.

So we've added some critters over the last week. Our 2 Clowns are doing well. We also added some Nassarius Snails and a Cardinal. Our tanks is progressing pretty well and we're making our own R.O./D.I saltwater via an Air,Water & Ice 75 gpd unit. Here's some pics, still haven't got a chance to learn my camera yet, so bear with me!

Updated FTS:

DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

All 3 fish:

DSC_0064.jpg

Gaston!

DSC_0059.jpg

Leyland!

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Small Update:

We've rounded out our fish collection with the addition of a Tri-Color Wrasse and a Dwarf Rusty Angel. Our tank is doing well. Fish have been in for a week now and there is 0 detectable ammonia and nitrites. Nitrates are maintained at ~15 with weekly 5 gallon water changes. The PLS-50 skimmer has been pulling some darker skimmate.

Our Calcium was low (330) and magnesium was high (1600) after being tested by our LFS so they didn't reccomned corals just yet. I'm trying to research raising calcium and ordered a bottle of Kent Liquid Calcium plus a Salifert test kit to get a "second opinion". Our Alk has been reading high as well, 300 on our test strips. Im gonna confirm that with the Salifert tests and go from there. Any advice would be appreciated. Heres a few new pics:

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0078.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

DSC_0087.jpg

Archived