SaltCritters.com

Sexies eating Styllo?

SquishyFishy

SquishyFishy

Has anyone ever seen sexies eating the polyps on styllo before??? I handfeed these shrimp so they have plenty of food. But ever since the RBTA moved around to below the Styllo, the bottom stalks of it have been stripped of all the polyps! The 4 of them hang in the anemone but just today I noticed the largest one was on the stalk.

I had thought the styllo was bleaching so I lowered my white channel on the Nano Box. But the frag of it on the other side of the tank is thriving.

Any thoughts??

SquishyFishy

Heres some pics...hopefully...

styllo2-XL.jpg

As you can see, it looks like a lawnmower has been at it.

Should I break the styllo off and move it?

jamescstein

My wife has some poci's that looks similar. No sexies in her tank. Possible culprits are emerald crab and or hermits.

Yes they will eat coral. If it were the shrimp I would think the tissue loss would be more random. Looks like something is irritating the base. I bet you nem is reaching out and saying hey! I have seen bta's get one tentacle that will reach out and sting anything around it. Or the euphyllia in the background. Time to frag it. Looks like you will have 5 pieces. Stylo frags easy and heals quite fast.

SquishyFishy

I think I'll just pry it off and reseat it elsewhere, I already have 2 frags of him that are thriving....anyways, thanks

I think I'll just pry it off and reseat it elsewhere, I already have 2 frags of him that are thriving....anyways, thanks

Purple Stylos are too much of a good thing. I've never seen anything kill it so this is a first. Maybe the anemone is smart enough to realize just how invasive it is. :)

SouthFlorida_Tron

its either getting stung by that nem or lack of light if the bottom recedes... but I'm going to say nem....

Archived