Top Shelf Aquatics

New Fluval Edge Reef Tank - Algae during cycling

Helena

Hi all,

I have set up my tank for just under 3 weeks. No ammonia, no nitrites and no nitrates yet but the tank is pretty active with life.

I have aiptasia (grrrrrrr) which I'm systematically killing with Aiptasia X. I also have some bristle worms, these white tiny flea like things on the glass and what looks like maybe a feather duster.

My current concern though is this hairy algae on the glass. It's been there for about a week and a half. Growing, but not too rapidly and on it's wispy hair it's got white particles.

Pictures attached.

Any ideas?

Any help would be much appreciated!

post-88435-0-70325800-1435198877_thumb.jpgpost-88435-0-66146300-1435198898_thumb.jpgpost-88435-0-24048800-1435199005_thumb.jpg

HarryPotter

It's just algae...... Clean the glass with a Nano-Mag

Hi all,

I have set up my tank for just under 3 weeks. No ammonia, no nitrites and no nitrates yet but the tank is pretty active with life.

I have aiptasia (grrrrrrr) which I'm systematically killing with Aiptasia X. I also have some bristle worms, these white tiny flea like things on the glass and what looks like maybe a feather duster.

My current concern though is this hairy algae on the glass. It's been there for about a week and a half. Growing, but not too rapidly and on it's wispy hair it's got white particles.

Pictures attached.

Any ideas?

Any help would be much appreciated!

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Nice start though!

hey, nothing to say about the algae, but nice start.

hopefully I'll get my edge running soon, too. following...

like the branchy scape!

Really Wenhamjj? I thought I had to wait for cycle to be over? They won't die with the ammonia spike?

Thanks mpad!

thecoralbeauty

i have a fluval edge that I'm using for non-photosynthetic things like sun corals, dendros and tube anemones. my issue with these tanks has always been lighting, hence the non-photosynthetic. what are your plans for the lights?

Perfectly normal for your tank to do this Helena,

Your tank is going though a phase known as the 'uglies' and it will be like this for sometimes up to 6 weeks while everything finds a balance. After a cycle the decaying materiel from the live rock will cause elevated phosphates and algae growth.

Cheers

Damn congrats on the Marine pac 3. Let us know how it works out. One nice expensive piece of equipment for a tank that you can get on online retailers for 59.99. Can't wait to see this soon!!

Hi Helena, looking good on the tank. I started my first saltwater tank about 7 months ago and loving it love the hobby. It is very addictive ..;) I have been eyeing the Fluval edge for some time now and have been contemplating getting one to house Dwarf seahorses. Also the Marine Pac from Neil. Do you find the small opening a pain? I am sure it is harder to scape and clean compare to the normal opening in regular tanks. But is it doable? Like with a little patience or am I gonna just throw the towel in? I know hard question to answer but what is your feeling on this when you were setting it up? Just wanted to know as it is quiet a big financial investment to get the Marine Pac. Thanks you

Flo

Hi Flo! It's a little bit tricky when it comes to cleaning the glass but to be honest, the marine pac 3 is such a streamlined piece of equipment that the aesthetics far outweigh any negatives. I love the cube of glass and that the equipment is all hidden. I don't think you can go past it. I'm very happy! I didn't find the aquascaping that tricky. Just made sure I bought rock that would fit. I piled it all up in the store to figure out how I would place it. Pretty easy. After all you only aquascaping once so with a little patience it's all good.

where can I get a Fluval edge 12 gallon for 59.99??Would love to get one for that price.

Woot has the old models with the halogen bulbs all the time.

I'm just wondering if it's normal to have 0 ammonia, nitrites and nitrates nearly 3 weeks in? I haven't seen an ammonia spike at all. All my hitchhikers look super happy especially those bristle worms (which give me the creeps). I was kind of hoping an ammonia spike might kill some less desirable stuff off.... Should I kickstart it with a piece of dead shrimp or am I better off letting things take their natural course? Worried that the worms are going to take over the tank at this rate!

HarryPotter

I'm just wondering if it's normal to have 0 ammonia, nitrites and nitrates nearly 3 weeks in? I haven't seen an ammonia spike at all. All my hitchhikers look super happy especially those bristle worms (which give me the creeps). I was kind of hoping an ammonia spike might kill some less desirable stuff off.... Should I kickstart it with a piece of dead shrimp or am I better off letting things take their natural course? Worried that the worms are going to take over the tank at this rate!

You used live rock and live sand? If so, you may already be cycled!

You can test it by dosing ammonia and seeing how long it takes for the tank to process.

You used live rock and live sand? If so, you may already be cycled! You can test it by dosing ammonia and seeing how long it takes for the tank to process.

Live rock not live sand. I'll dose and see. Weird because readings haven't changed at all since the first test.

HarryPotter

Live rock not live sand. I'll dose and see. Weird because readings haven't changed at all since the first test.

Sounds like the rock was "live" enough to provide a ton of bacteria. Double check online how much you can safely dose without harming the critters

Sounds like the rock was "live" enough to provide a ton of bacteria. Double check online how much you can safely dose without harming the critters

Will do! Thanks for the advice!

Hi Helena thanks for your insight on the edge. I might just invest on one when someone have a deal on the tank. I have seen it selling for around $129 before so I will keep a look out for that. The Marine Pac is out of stock and Pre order will only begin in July so I'll have to make sure I get in on that as it'll take till probably August till it's ready so I have time to find an edge. Trying to keep this set up under a grand..:) I know it'll go over but just for tank and filtration and maybe an ATO for under a grand I will be ok with that. Will be following your build . Thanks

WhiteWulfe

Woohoo, another Fluval Edge 12g/46L build!

How'd you set up the back of the MarinePac 3? I'm always curious to see what people have done back there ^_^

Littleworld

We need our own secret club. I've got everything and its dog in mine - return, filter pad, purigen, heater, tunze 9001, tunze 3152 ato and probes for Salinity, pH and temp to boot. Crowded, but workable.

Then I went and stuck an mp10 in the tank and blew the clean aesthetic. Safe to say it didn't come in under a grand...

Also Helena, I've had a diatom outbreak (usual) and a green dust outbreak that's just clearing up now. I've set up an Oxydator to help with this but it's probably just a case of sitting it out at this stage. It's all work out in the end!

Archived