Innovative Marine Aquariums

Spotted Grooper for 45 Gal

jimmy_c

Hi All;

Saw a spotted grouper (not a panther grouper) at the LFS. I know these can be agrissive fish. I have 3 "nemo's", Flame Angel, Yellow Coris Wrasse and a Fire Shrimp. The grouper is maybe 2" all the fish are bigger than him. I don't see any issue with the fish a little concerned with the Fire Shrimp but his is 2" himself. Still not sure if it would be wise to add the grouper to my 45gal. Its been running for 10 months now with several varietys corals.

Was courious to get ya'll opinion. My gut tell me yes but my head keeps saying No...

Hmm, this seems like a bit of a troll to me. I would not put the 3 'nemo's' in your 45 let alone a single grouper. The grouper will soon get bigger and will eat all the other fish and shrimp. Assuming your filtration could even keep it alive that long.

Come now, a grouper in a 45 gallon? I think the smallest of the commonly referred spotted groupers, Epinephelus summana, gets to be a foot long.

I had a miniatus grouper in a 50 gallon. He was 4 inches long and quite happy. He would have loved a few Nemo for a snack though.

I had a miniatus grouper in a 50 gallon. He was 4 inches long and quite happy. He would have loved a few Nemo for a snack though.

So what? One dumb thing makes another dumb thing OK? 50 gallons is too small for full grown Cephalopholis miniatus, which can get to be a foot long.

Snow_Phoenix

I saw a full grown spotted grouper (dead) at the fish market. Those things are massive and they're predatory. There's no way it'll fit in such a tiny tank, and even then it'll eat everything.

Hi All;

Saw a spotted grouper (not a panther grouper) at the LFS. I know these can be agrissive fish. I have 3 "nemo's", Flame Angel, Yellow Coris Wrasse and a Fire Shrimp. The grouper is maybe 2" all the fish are bigger than him. I don't see any issue with the fish a little concerned with the Fire Shrimp but his is 2" himself. Still not sure if it would be wise to add the grouper to my 45gal. Its been running for 10 months now with several varietys corals.

Was courious to get ya'll opinion. My gut tell me yes but my head keeps saying No...

Live Aquaria is an excellent resource to research information on fish. For future reference, any type of grouper will attempt to eat anything that it can fit in its very large mouth. Clownfish and cleaner shrimp wouldn't even be large enough to be considered bait for these guys once they are full grown.

Archived