Innovative Marine Aquariums

Final quarantine/observation ideas?

waveland

Okay....new to the hobby, I rushed to add fish in my DT and got ich. None of the original fish survived. That was a BIG lesson in learning to be patient!

My DT is now 49 days fallow and I've set up an observation tank. I have a Royal Gramma, Neon Goby and Cherub Angel in the observation for almost three weeks now and all are eating well and showing no signs of disease. I've treated the tank with Melafix and PraziPro, but not Cupramine.

My intent is to add the fish to my DT after day 60. My LFS suggested a two minute freshwater dip to remove flukes, etc. prior to adding, but that seems stressful to the fish to me??

Any advise on what I've missed or should add?

Many thanks!

A freshwater dip would in fact be seriously stressful to any marine species though its a catch 22, you have the possibility of killing off something you initially had a low percentage of having to begin with, or you could potentially stress the fish so bad it gets sick all over. I know many people do in fact do a freshwater dip with success and in a humane way but personally I think if they have sat in a quarantine tank for 60 Days already and you aren't noticing anything out of the normal; personally I would skip the fw dip.

12_egg_Omelette

How about going hypo salinity. Watching the SH and lowering it over two weeks keeping it there and then bringing it back up.

Archived