Cultivated Reef

My secret flower garden - New RFAs delivered today!

My tiny reef

My tiny reef

Very cool, I learned something new today. I didn't know there was male and female nems. I just kind of assumed they was A sexual.

That's what I love about these Nems! I knew nothing when I got my first one and have learned so much from here since then. They are beautiful and unique and amazing.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My tiny reef

That's what I love about these Nems! I knew nothing when I got my first one and have learned so much from here since then. They are beautiful and unique and amazing.

Although, it just hit me to say that rock flower nems are different from most other nems who are asexual. Never FRAG an RFA, it will kill them. I cant speak to the care of other anemones, but I love my RFAs!!

All those rfas!!!! She's the super Queen!!! Even though I had so many in the basement, because they were in the basement I wasn't near the action to watch. I never was able to witness that. That is such a wonderful, educational video, that's incredible. I'm so happy you shared it. My gosh, there are 100s. How often do you feed your nems?

The best thing about nems is because they can spawn in captivity, one day if it becomes illegal to pull up anymore out of the ocean, from all the baby making I see on NR, we've got this covered!!!!

And hey, I want part of this NR come together in Charlotte day trip. I'd love to meet more of our reefers and see more shops and chow down on some food with you all.

My tiny reef

All those rfas!!!! She's the super Queen!!! Even though I had so many in the basement, because they were in the basement I wasn't near the action to watch. I never was able to witness that. That is such a wonderful, educational video, that's incredible. I'm so happy you shared it. My gosh, there are 100s. How often do you feed your nems?

The best thing about nems is because they can spawn in captivity, one day if it becomes illegal to pull up anymore out of the ocean, from all the baby making I see on NR, we've got this covered!!!!

And hey, I want part of this NR come together in Charlotte day trip. I'd love to meet more of our reefers and see more shops and chow down on some food with you all.

She is the queen bee!! I was worried about her all shriveled up last night but she looks happy and healthy today. I try to feed about 3 times a week but just feed small amounts, a couple of mysis usually and some weeks when it is busy I get slack and they may only eat once. I want to go get some LPS pellets and some other variety and feed more often for the next mating season to see if that will help her keep them in longer. I also need to go pick up some Cyclopeez for the babies.

I don't know if this number of babies is abnormal, it seems like an aweful lot for one mama. But maybe they usually have this many and most are usually sucked into the overflow or something. Since the flow is so low in this tank and it is divided with the breeder screen from the pump none of the babies are getting lost. I just have to keep them alive now and help them grow!!

I would love a tour day with fellow reefers!! We need to get something in the works!

I played around with my video editor today and put together a better video of the whole breeding sequence. Enjoy!

I have no idea though I'm with you, that does seem like a tremendous amt though once a mama spawned and it was too early, after a water change or something, I counted hundreds of betta size pellets on the sand. So, I know they can spawn a great deal, that's why they can go and pluck them and not be at a loss because they keep spawning throughout the year.

I wrote it in the anemone forum too but what percentage attached & opened?

• 2 weeks later...
My tiny reef

Some babies are getting bigger and getting some color. I've even been able to feed some of them Cyclopeez successfully.

Baby to the right a little bit away from mama is turning red :). Bunch of babies right by the rock and mama, bigger but still white.

image_51.jpeg

image_50.jpeg

Fat baby butt

image_53.jpeg

• 1 month later...
My tiny reef

I have my old biocube set up to move my nems over to. But moving all the babies to the new tank is turning out to be more tedious than I expected. I can only move 3-5 a day so I don't stir up the sand bed too much. I have about 10-12 moved over so far. I did find some bigger babies though! Below is comparison.

Most of my babies' size

image_91.jpeg

New big babies... Maybe 5 of them I've found so far. yay!

image_92.jpeg

• 1 month later...
My tiny reef

I have been able to spot feed most of the babies cyclopeez and some of the bigger ones even accept mysis shrimp! I can't wait for them to get big. Here are some updated pics of the babies and a few of my big ones for fun.

image_121.jpeg

image_120.jpeg

image_119.jpeg

image_122.jpeg

image_124.jpeg

image_123.jpeg

image_115.jpeg

owlshead19

Just found this thread today - so very educational! You are getting some great colors in the babies

Awesome babies! I'm surprised as small as they are they have ribbing on the tentacles. I guess I've seen more rock flowers change their tentacles from smooth to ribbed after getting bigger. I just didn't know they could be that tiny & already have ribbed tentacles.

My tiny reef

Awesome babies! I'm surprised as small as they are they have ribbing on the tentacles. I guess I've seen more rock flowers change their tentacles from smooth to ribbed after getting bigger. I just didn't know they could be that tiny & already have ribbed tentacles.

They are all very different, even though I can't tell their full colors yet I can see a big variety in patterns, shades, sizes and tentacles. It does seem strange that I have so many ones with ribs though because only one of the males from that spawning had ribs (the red one in the last post) and the mom just has a few ribbed tentacles, the other 3 males were all smooth.

They are all very different, even though I can't tell their full colors yet I can see a big variety in patterns, shades, sizes and tentacles. It does seem strange that I have so many ones with ribs though because only one of the males from that spawning had ribs (the red one in the last post) and the mom just has a few ribbed tentacles, the other 3 males were all smooth.

You're getting some previous traits coming from who knows what generation(s) before. No telling in a big ocean.

• 2 weeks later...
My tiny reef

So far most of my babies have white or tan tentacles but I found two of my larger ones' tentacles have turned red. So exciting!

image_132.jpeg

Same one, top down view.

image_131.jpeg

In the sand, hard to get a good pic

image_130.jpeg

Updated FTS

Front-

image_135.jpeg

Living room side-

image_133.jpeg

Kitchen view-

image_134.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

ha! That's so wonderful to look at. How many in there? Where are you going to put the babies as they multiply?

Got in an order of RFAs today, love how full the tank is starting to look.

image_150.jpeg

image_152.jpeg

image_151.jpeg

image_148.jpeg

Who did you order from? I just got 4 today also.

My tiny reef

I got them from reeftopia. I was hesitant about my order because there were no pictures, it was super cheap and I couldn't find any recent reviews or posts to their Facebook page. BUT, everything arrived very well packed and alive today. Free shipping when you spend $125 too! They called yesterday and were out of one of the items I ordered and offered another Red nem in its place, yes please!! AND they sent an extra green one and and extra red sponge!! So I got 7 green and 3 red nems and two red zoanthid sponges for $125!! Can't beat it! The nems are all very good sizes and healthy. The red ones are great, the green ones are still pretty but not so "ultra" as they list them but they are priced at 3 for $24 so I wasn't really expecting crazy ultra.

ha! That's so wonderful to look at. How many in there? Where are you going to put the babies as they multiply?

I'm thinking I need to get a large shallow tank for a nursery!

My tiny reef

Have you posted your new ones somewhere? I'd love to see them! Where did you order yours from?

Have you posted your new ones somewhere? I'd love to see them! Where did you order yours from?

No pics yet as I can not even remember what the new ones are :lol: I did get one I really wanted to see and now can not find it in the tank......so not sure if it hid or ? I will download a pic of the tank and post.

Archived