ReefCleaners.org

Flaming Prawn Picotope

land shark

land shark

It's been too long since I've had a tank so, I got a picotope. Thought I would share it with you guys. Its main purpose is to house a breeding pair of discordipinna griessingeri.

Set Up:

JBJ Picotope

Hydor Pico Evo-Mag 180

Chinese LED Bulb 3xrb 4xcw 21w

Stanley Digital timer

Generic Digital Aquarium Thermometer

Aquatop 25w nano heater

Stock so far:

Fish:

2xFPG

Inverts:

3xCerith Snails

Some stomata snails(how they got there, the world may never know)

Macro Algae:

String of pearls

Dragons Breath

Blue Scroll

Purple Fauchea

Red Hex

Codium

Zoas/Palys:

B1umpkins

Everlasting Gobstoppers

RPE's

Sunny D's

Orange Bam Bams

Twizzlers

Nemesis

Some no names

LPS:

SC Angel Eyes Favia

SPS:

Purple Dragon Eyes Acropora

4/28/2015

QJmFIVF.jpg

9/25/2015

qdlVBm3.jpg

aviator300

Looks like you've got a great start and I'm glad to see you got rid of that stock light and got a Par bulb. I assume that the tank was fully cycled before you added any fish and especially an expensive fish like you have?

land shark

Yeah I know the drill. One of the pictures shows my test where I had nitrate show up with zero ammonia and zero nitrite (added flake food every other day for ammonia source). I added the zoas a week or two after and the Prawn Goby about a week and a half ago. I made sure I had plenty of pods before I did that (I actually bought cultures in the early stages). Had some small jellies for a while that looked like birdies from badminton. Those were cool while they lasted. I grew up having multiple tanks. I just got away from the hobby for a little while. The tank was born on 3/05/2015 so it’s almost 3 months old. I got the fpg for a cool $45, so actually not too expensive.

land shark

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys. On to the update.

When I got my first fpg I chose between three. Two had damaged fins and I didn’t know how to tell a male from a female. I chose to purchase the one without fin damage because of this. I got a credit at my local fish store from a family member who had recently returned something so, I decided to check up on the two I left behind. To my surprise they were both still there and healed up too. I noticed one had grown large, slightly larger than mine had grown, yet the other seemed to stay small. Not only this but, I could see some subtle differences in coloration as well. The large one in the store closely resembled the one I took home. The small one, on the other hand, had more yellow (almost white at the tip) in the spiny dorsal. I could also see that the larger ones have a different pattern on the pectoral fin. I will have to do some more observation but the top stripe on the pectoral of the larger fish was white and the smaller fish seemed to have orange for the top stripe. Anyway, I took this as a sign that the little one was the opposite sex of the one in my tank. The fin damage was almost unnoticeable on the small one too. Its soft dorsal does look a little catawampus though. I saw this as good reasoning in buying the little one.

These guys are hard to get a good picture of even in the bag (granted I am using a phone).

Flp0Tijm.jpg 2XRzgsam.jpg

8rD2ZMPm.jpg pybWwAtm.jpg

• 3 months later...

Things are coming along. Got some more coral, equipment, and such. I did have a few problems recently. Found a dead snail in the back, who knows how long it was there. It caused some of my zoas to close up and spew zooxanthellae. Everlasting Gobstoppers lost a lot of color and is still recovering(just started looking good and reproducing too). I am dealing with some turf algae problems as well. Dead snail still not helping. Might have to add a filter. Everything reads zero though which is weird. Also, My zoas are stretching out for more light, so I'm planning on building a light. It'll be a while though. On the amazing side of things, my gobies spawned. Wasn't ready at the time but I'm ready for when it happens again. Unfortunately, they may be shocked from the snail incident. I don't know when or if they will spawn again. On an intriguing note, my tanks has a weird habit of mutating zoas. Morphs are Jawesome. I'm honestly debating a light change because they're so cool. I really want to be able to turn on only blues though. Anyway, new pics for your enjoyment.

PDE Acro(still coloring up)

9LaGfe2.jpg

SC Angel Eyes

tB1CQJg.jpg

What I think are B1umpkins(before morph)

fKowePj.jpg

B1umpkins (after morph) I'm callin it Soul Reaper

T0TEpuB.jpg

A random PE(before morph)

wHT7ehy.jpg

Random PE (after morph) Close to alien invasion pe or red devil pe

CfjQqMC.jpg

These were like jokers with pink centers. Now they have a touch of green in the middle. Callin em Stellar Burst

Ll6PUqy.jpg

Abep2xC.jpg

Nemesis(just starting to morph)

hcwL5bN.jpg

Nemesis (morph) It keeps sprouting tenticles :o They remind me of spider legs for some reason

1RhMDGW.jpg

These had little color and green skirts when I got them. I'm calling these Crystal Flash(yes it's a super metroid ref.)

DnTYekb.jpg

These are sweet under actenics. I'm thinking Instant Crush

X90slat.jpg

I think these are Sunny D's but I'm not sure. They are close but a little different.

yA4aTWF.jpg

Twizzlers are always good

swC1HIw.jpg

The classic RPE

dA7g9qh.jpg

Neat little pink one I need to move. Its really faded.

tqPvewx.jpg

Your average old Orange Bam Bams

4skshZf.jpg

Everlasting Gobstoppers just before they closed up and faded

jGBN3P5.jpg

Purple fauchea is looking good

n0JQFmJ.jpg

Blue scroll before I removed a lot. It was shading dragons breath and I lost most of it. Started shading my acro so I cut it back.

3xB3676.jpg

Some pics of Gunter. You won't see any of Lion he keeps to himself. Yah I named em.

ddlKH3U.jpg

4uXil8A.jpg

1rnWEyX.jpg

417px-Gunter_with_Kitten_taped_to_his_ba

If anyone knows the names of the ones I made up names for let me know.

• 6 months later...

Gunter died,no more larvae to look out for, so I finally put a filter on my tank. I hope gac and gfo will kill this evil hair! Nothing else has. Lost too much coral too it :furious: Also finally have time to work on my light. Hopefully it will fix my super stretched zoa issue.

New goodies, yay indmas :happydance:

V7m37Dn.jpg

gonna split too

rsTHQTe.jpg

if you know this cornbred one tell me!

YX4iuof.jpg

INEayUJ.jpg

Others coming along...

aLsjJPD.jpg

I love this thing B)

4cyvFkZ.jpg

gmqcxi7.jpg

came back strong

5TPyUk4.jpg

lsIqakc.jpg

nS2ukhF.jpg

soul reapers final form. I swear my zoas never stay the same

IgxayW7.jpg

aDuKpli.jpg

F3TzV7Z.jpg

These are weird. They get that splattered green, it slowly fades away, then months later they close up for two days and open up looking like someone shot them with a paintball gun.

5aWl8O6.jpg

Archived