Pod Your Reef

Quick! Making a live order and can't decide which fish I want:)

Matteo

Okay I have an established 29 gallon bio cube reef. I am on aquastockers.com and cant decided between either a green mandarin dragonet and buy like 500 pods to throw in tank and refugium, a pair of fire fish, or a pygmy angel?

rone_kevin66

Always have a lid no matter what, even if it's made of lighting crate.

+1 always have a lid nothing worse the a carpet suffer

Marc.The.Shark

500 pods will last that Mandarin a few days, then if it's not eating frozen it'll start wasting away. It's a hard fish to keep in a small tank.

FlowerMama

And never make a quick decision on fish, reaaaalllllllly research it. So you're not sorry for a mistake whether your own or incompatibility with the environment or fish. No reason to rush a decision on a fish.

Wouldn't go with any of those options but that is just me!

1) I would probably only buy a mandarin in person if its going in a small tank because I'd need to make sure its eating prepared foods. I don't think its sustainable to keep buying tons of pods.

2) Unless you are buying an actual proven pair of firefish they will eventually turn into one firefish as the dominant harasses the other fish. I have a purple firefish and he is my oldest (and favorite) fish in the tank so I would definitely pick up one.

As far as jumping goes I think it depends highly on tankmates. I had my firefish in a lidless tank most of the time I've had him (3 1/2 years) but his only tankmate for that time was an occy clown. Since upgrading and putting larger, more active fish in with him I added a top just in case.

3) I guess this one is more personal preference. For me coral comes first so I would never put anything in my tank that could possibly hurt/eat them. This is especially true when it comes to something like a pygmy angel that would be a pain to remove. The possibility of needing to tear down my tank is not worth it for a fish imo.

I'm guessing you already ordered but please let us know what you decided!!

Didn't make the order:/ the sale ended when I got home. Heading to lfs today and browse to see what active swimmers I want

Archived