Cultivated Reef

Thinking of going T5 fixture on my new tank

tjwaggoner

reefernanoman

Not too relevant, but when I went from Mh to t5, I ran a current USA 6 bulb fixture(with stock bulbs) for like 6 months and my SPS barely grew. So I went right back to MH. This was a long time ago, and maybe if I would have tried some better bulbs, the outcome might have been better.

Stock bulbs are usually poo. plus, that was a current fixture. they are also poo. I have never heard of anyone getting good coral growth with a current t5 light.

reefernanoman

Stock bulbs are usually poo. plus, that was a current fixture. they are also poo. I have never heard of anyone getting good coral growth with a current t5 light.

Yeah, it was a bad idea to run those stock bulbs for sure. So I guess the current lights sucked big time too.

The main difference with ATI is resale value. A used Sunpower will fetch good money no matter what. Good luck selling the aquaticlife at anything close to 50% of original value.

Buy an aquaticlife fixture refurbished from them directly. I did that, got more for it when i sold it than what i paid. Jus sayin.

tjwaggoner

It seems the 24" 6 bulb fixture may be discontinued. I tried ordering it through my LFS but his rep told him he couldn't get it and whatever was already in the dist channels was all there would be. I found it at marine and reef (fed ex says it will be here tomorrow).

I like the ati but was only interested in the dimmable fixture because I didn't want multiple cords and mechanical timers and to me it wasn't worth over $100 to have tubes that dimmed. The sunrise sunset is a neat gimmick but really gives no benefits the tank. So ultimately I ordered the 6 bulb aquatic life.

I usually look at resale value for things that I buy (big reason I buy apple products to be honest) but if I'm honest with myself I simply liked the features of the light more than the ati (I seriously did not want a hanging light) and it was quite a bit less money.

HarryPotter

If you're budget is loose, check out the NanoBox Hybrid Lights.

Crazy combo of HO T5s and the famous NanoBox LEDs. Supposedly gives insane growth!

PathOfDeception

I use aquatic life 30'' fixtures over my 20L. I love the lighting with the ATI bulbs, my tank is fairly new so I can't give much input on growth but everything is thriving so far. Are you looking at the marquis lights or the older model? I have the marquis and I HATE the flimsy little legs on it. Only downside.

tjwaggoner

Path,

It's the older model guess, it's the only one they have on the website that's 24" and 6 bulbs. The 24" 6 bulb with the timer built in and the blue moonlight leds.

Harry,

The nanobox hybrid is definitely a nice light. I like the idea of the led/t5 combo in aquarium lighting.

Cromag,

I agreed. A simple kit with some nice legs designed to sit on the rim would have made the fixture much much more appealing to me at least. I just didn't want cables or hanging contraptions and arms above my tank. The ones I've seen where people mount a shelf above the tank and hang the light from the shelf looks really nice though.

That is a really nice fixture. it comes with sturdy legs. the marquis line is lower end, hence the flimsy legs.

tjwaggoner

I'll post my thoughts on the fixture and the sturdiness of the legs tomorrow once fedex drops it off.

tjwaggoner

Light came in today and so far I'm fairly impressed. The acrylic splash sheild didn't have screws that hold it to the side of the fixture in it so I'll have to locate those but other than that it was packed well with all parts.

The one worry I had turned out to be a non issue: the legs. They are pretty damn strong plastic with enough bends and curves in the piece to make them very rigid. They attach to sliders with two Allen screws each. Put the screws on loose, set on tank, slide legs tight against the rim, tight screws down, light is very solid and tight on the tank after that.

Fixture itself if metal with plastic trim. The fit and finish of the plastic trim pieces isn't top notch but commensurate with the price paid. The timer is easy to use, the display is unreadable at the angle I view it at standing in front of my tank which is total coincidence. Just tilting my head slighting lets me read the display. It's just the angle someone my height sees the display when it's on a tank. Not a big deal.

Fan is nearly silent, but I didn't let it run longer than about 5 min so I don't know if it will speed up as temp increases or if it's a single speed. If it's a single speed and it's working properly, it's quiet. Makes those biocube fans sound like vacuum cleaners. I have some pics but no idea how to post from my phone. I'll try to figure it out. It looks nice on top of the tank. So far so good. Glad I went this route as of now. The legs were a worry but if you're considering the light as wondering about them, don't even give it a thought. If you break these legs through normal use you don't need to be handling delicate creatures.

Archived