Top Shelf Aquatics

Lets talk Protein skimmers

CalebD

I have a 30 gal tank with a 10 gal sump and am looking for an inexpensive yet good quality protein skimmer. I have been looking at all kinds and reading reviews. Most are priced little higher than I can afford.

Does anyone have any suggestions? What brand and size do you recommend?

The SCA skimmers really are nice. Basically a Bubble Magus nac 3.5 clone. A buddy of mine has one his system 34g w/55g sump and that thing pulls some grossness.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. You all suggested the same skimmer so I take it that it is a good one. The price is right in the range I was hoping for. I will give this one some serious consideration. Thanks again.

I don't think you'd be disappointed honestly. I can't find any real negative reviews about it. My friend loves his.

See if you can find it used. I bought the same one for $65 shipped and I've seen it go for around that price other times as well.

blasterman

Cool skimmers listed here and the prices are excellent. No need to pay some of the ridiculous prices I see listed for higher end skimmers which are nothing more than a few cut pieces of acrylic or PVC pipe.

Only problem is they are so tall. Wish we could counter current some skimmer designs so they had more contact time horizontally and didn't need the height.

Cencalfishguy56

I just bought an Aquamaxx HOB-1 and the thing is unreal!

Always wanted one but damn they are a pretty penny

PathOfDeception

Always wanted one but damn they are a pretty penny

Worth every bit of it. Tank is so clean my corals bounced and look better than ever. Skimmed from day 1.

I have a SC 301 that I was using on a 50 gallon breeder till I figured out what I was going to upgrade too. I have to say I was very impressed with how well such a tiny skimmer could pull some gunk. For the price I don't think you can beat its skimming ability.

Some of the negatives I didn't like was it was hard to adjust, it does put out considerable microbubbles that were able to make it past my bubble trap and its difficult to clean the body of the skimmer since it doesn't really come apart. If you can finagle it just right it will pull some nice foam though.

Aquamaxx makes really good skimmers but they are more expensive. I have never used the HOB but I upgraded to the CO-1 and it is amazing.

I can definitely agree with the Aquamaxx claims. I have the new Aquamaxx WS-1 and love it so far. It is definitely outperforming the CADLights PLS-50 Elite that I upgraded from. If you don't mind spending a bit more($160), check it out. It has a pretty small footprint so it will work quite well in your 10 gallon sump. Also, it is rated for a 65 gallon tank(30 gallon for heavy bioload) so that is a perfect match for your tank size.

Archived